BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bit of a harsh summary that

He also brought in Downing who played a huge part last season. 

Then you need to also look at the fact that he has improved all of those already here, but in particular Graham and Evans. 

The from the younger players, Raya, Nyambe and Nuttall have all improved as well 

I think its fair to say that his recruitment has barely improved the starting 11. Downing was only ever going to be a temporary League 1 move and he was going off the rails when Lenihan made a very welcome return last season.

Improving players is totally seperate to recruitment but I would certainly agree on the 2 you mention, especially Graham, and it seems they are much fitter than they have been in the past. His work with Dack following his signing has also proved very effective. 

52 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Think Samuel and Smallwood will still be here next season and wouldn't be too disappointed that they were. 

Samuel was ok-ish last season and after knuckling down in pre season last year deserves a bit of a chance to show what he is made of. 

Smallwood - I think people forget he was Lowe's replacement and can only be considered an upgrade in that regard. Whilst I don't think he's necessarily a starter I do think he can play a valuable role in the squad. Some games we'll need a scrapper like him, other times will want to bring on a player like him. If the rest of the team didn't lack creativity as much I doubt his limitations would be as much of a problem. Reminds me of Mokoena in some regards - a limited but useful tool to have in your tool kit. 

Many more issues to sort before these two going imo.

Whilst using Jason Lowe as a benchmark is a incredibly flawed measurement, I do agree that Smallwood is fine to have as long as Mowbray sees him as a squad player, I suspect his slightly more limited involvement lately suggests that he in particular is one Mowbray was referring to when he said about realising players have been given enough of a chance and we need to progress beyond them. I think Bennett deserves the same treatment too.

Samuel on the other hand is nowhere near up to it. He was poor last season, he didn't score after November. We wont progress giving players of his standard anything other than the smallest of roles.

On 24/02/2019 at 16:17, roversfan99 said:

Surely left back is as urgent a priority as anything? Even the best 2 centre backs would struggle if the full back is constantly allowing the ball to come into the area.

I also don't think that defensive midfield is anywhere near a priority for the summer. Travis is blossoming in there, and compliments Evans nicely, Smallwood should be very much a squad player, but also for me Rodwell could be the answer. Him and Travis would be worth a shot together, one thing is for sure, he is not a centre back but could add the ability to keep the ball.

Doubt there would be any chance of signing them 2 for £15m, nor do I see why they would come here, but we need to keep Dack for as long as possible.

I would now agree that he is our best centre back, but he is often rash and makes poor decisions. Mulgrew was at one stage IMO our best centre back but unfortunately it seems that age has really caught up with him, although having a similar player next to him doesnt help. Lenihan does have the most raw materials to become a good centre back, but I wouldnt hang my hat on him yet.

If you have two strong centre halves and a proper defensive midfielder, then one weaker full back, isn't much on an issue. We haven't got a proper defensive midfielder, Travis has done well but he's by no means a david batty, and Smallwood isn't good enough at this level. 

I think £15mil would be enough to land those two, and why would they come? Well their both at clubs going nowhere fast, and we are a bigger club than those two, simple, and if Tony is spinning them the promotion line and he's still got the owners backing, why not. 

Probably wouldn't spending anything like that but I did say if.

Edited by AAK

We may not want to lose dack, but we also don't want to keep him, let him start playing poorly, and then decrease his value. He seems the type of character who's head could be easily swayed. Sell him whilst his value is up, but only if it's reinvested.

Edited by AAK

56 minutes ago, AAK said:

If you have two strong centre halves and a proper defensive midfielder, then one weaker full back, isn't much on an issue. We haven't got a proper defensive midfielder, Travis has done well but he's by no means a david batty, and Smallwood isn't good enough at this level. 

I think £15mil would be enough to land those two, and why would they come? Well their both at clubs going nowhere fast, and we are a bigger club than those two, simple, and if Tony is spinning them the promotion line and he's still got the owners backing, why not. 

Probably wouldn't spending anything like that but I did say if.

I dont think especially financially we would come close to affording them 2 players with Dack proceeds, but I feel like you are being unnecessarily pessimistic regarding a potential drop off in value and also underestimating quite how important he is. I am against any plans that involve selling him as we will be so much weaker without him, and selling him would be the opposite of progress.

I disagree with a dodgy full back being not much of an issue either. Amarii Bell has been directly responsible for goals at Reading and Birmingham, and hes allowed cross after cross in all season. To hear our manager saying stuff like this "He’s pleasantly surprised us with his defensive qualities" is incredibly worrying, on a par with saying Raya "has found some form in recent weeks" following mistakes v Newcastle, Brentford, Birmingham and Bristol City. I just hope that these comments are purely motivational and indeed Mowbray is lucking for quick and considerable improvement or change in the summer.

I would much prefer Lenihan and a new centre back and left back over 2 new centre backs and Bell at left back.

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Trouble is there is no completion for him and to drop him as number one would probably mean he leaves. Has for too long been the main man by default. What we need is a credible number 2 who could put some pressure on him. A fading PL light with some desire to extend their career but still good enough for Raya to think “wow, two clangers in a row and I’m going to let them in”.

He is capable of world class saves but needs a competitive edge to help him maintain concentration throughout. An older PL keeper who could give Raya something to think about as well as some mentoring. Maybe Artur Boruc (39) - who has apparently fallen out with Howe at Bournemouth, or Heurelho Gomes (38) currently second choice at Watford? Or similar. We can bring in all the young keeper we like but may as well promote Fisher from the U23s to the bench - not sure it would have the desired effect.

I can see what you're saying, the way I see it is that we should be trying to improve every position possible, if we bring someone in that's better than him then it's tough, he'll have to step up... Look how many decent keepers the apes have for e.g. 

8 minutes ago, Neal said:

I can see what you're saying, the way I see it is that we should be trying to improve every position possible, if we bring someone in that's better than him then it's tough, he'll have to step up... Look how many decent keepers the apes have for e.g. 

PL keepers, even benched ones, will want huge wages. We need to start of with credible quality/experience first even if old.

Lest we forget ‘that lot’ brought in Paul Robinson as cover/competition for Tom Heaton.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst using Jason Lowe as a benchmark is a incredibly flawed measurement, I do agree that Smallwood is fine to have as long as Mowbray sees him as a squad player, I suspect his slightly more limited involvement lately suggests that he in particular is one Mowbray was referring to when he said about realising players have been given enough of a chance and we need to progress beyond them. I think Bennett deserves the same treatment too.

Samuel on the other hand is nowhere near up to it. He was poor last season, he didn't score after November. We wont progress giving players of his standard anything other than the smallest of roles.

I'd like to confirm I don't think Lowe is a good measurement of what a good DM is however we do need to improve upon what we had to move forward and Smallwood did that. Think we're in agreement to his level mind. 

I'm struck by the likes of Kuqi and Dickov who weren't really premiership quality but were key strikers along with Bellamy showing us players of limited quality can still push us up the table. 

Everyone says Samuel is rubbish bar me, perhaps I only saw his decent matches, absence is making me think he is better or I'm just naffed off with Bereton. Would agree with you though he is not the answer of proven quality back up but wonder if he could be a good squad striker and has potential to develop. Maybe I'm more patient and expect less when they don't cost £7 million!

• Like 1

• Backroom
On 24/02/2019 at 17:11, Mattyblue said:

Or the 2001 promotion team. 

Friedel, Berg, Short, Flitcroft, Hughes.

‘Captain’s’ throughout.

Ditto under Hughes, didn’t we have a team full of players who were (or had been) captains at international level?

Friedel, Nelsen, Zurab, Samba, Mokoena, Savage, Tugay, Roberts, possibly Reid?

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Ditto under Hughes, didn’t we have a team full of players who were (or had been) captains at international level?

Friedel, Nelsen, Zurab, Samba, Mokoena, Savage, Tugay, Roberts, possibly Reid?

Ooijer too, captain of Holland no less.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Everyone says Samuel is rubbish bar me, perhaps I only saw his decent matches, absence is making me think he is better or I'm just naffed off with Bereton. Would agree with you though he is not the answer of proven quality back up but wonder if he could be a good squad striker and has potential to develop. Maybe I'm more patient and expect less when they don't cost £7 million!

He's an attacker who despite playing for one of the best teams in League 1 last season didn't score after November. 

19 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He's an attacker who despite playing for one of the best teams in League 1 last season didn't score after November. 

He only played 9 games all season and scored 3.

I don't think he will ever be prolific regardless, but I would keep him and Smallwood as squad players for now. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He only played 9 games all season and scored 3.

I don't think he will ever be prolific regardless, but I would keep him and Smallwood as squad players for now. 

I don't know who you are talking about but I'm talking about Samuel and he played a lot more than 9 games last season.

On 25/02/2019 at 13:55, Neal said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17457039.i-dont-want-to-point-fingers-rovers-boss-on-keeper/

"David has found form recently" 

Eh? Cost us against Brum, Bristol and against Brentford! What's he been watching? 

Makes me worry he won't be looking for anew keeper. If that isn't evidence enough then I fear what it will take to make him realise. He's liability at the moment. Hate to say it because I like the lad and would like to see him succeed here but he needs to learn and work with a better, more experienced keeper here. 

Perhaps also an experienced coach that has played the game professionally too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Wonder if we could raid Bolton in the summer if they go down, Sammy Ameobi? 

Anyone else?

Would prefer Jon Taylor From Rotherham over Ameobi. Don’t think there’s anyone at all from Bolton i’d take off the top of my head!