BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I'm fairly pleased with the Walton signing, if not a little underwhelmed. All the big names we seemed to be linked with and we've ended up signing a young (but promising) lad on loan. I think it speaks volumes though that Brighton see him as a potential number 1 (seen this pop up a few times on twitter). Seems to have done a decent job at Wigan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

That was last week's reason for Raya leaving from Mowbray. This week's reason was that 'We sold our goalie so we could put the money towards a centre forward and a central defender'.

He threw his toys out the pram when told he wasn't gonna be #1

• Like 3

Just now, Neal said:

I'm just going off what Mowbray said after the Rangers game in which he implied we're looking to spend money on a centre half. 

Not having a go at you just saying I don't belief it is a likely situation from the looks of things, hoped to be proved wrong

1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

It's too simplistic to always blame Venkys.

Fact is that Mowbray has spent substantial money (£5m) and wages (probably £50kpw) this summer on three players in positions we didnt "need" in Downing, Johnson and Gallagher. 

Had he done the same but on an experience GK, £5m CB and a free agent LB (Olsson), that would be different. Truth is, it's the person that signs the players that is making the mistakes this summer.

I agree. Tony is part of the venky era is he not.? 

• Like 1

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Unless of course the replacement is an improvement and we end up in the play-offs.

If budget would be better spent elsewhere there's no problem with this approach. 

It's only really a worthwhile approach if the replacements you bring in are so successful you go up either automatically or through the play offs. Then obviously you're operating in a completely different marketplace.

if not you're just left with the same problem in 12 months time of having to replace said players.

• Like 1

Feel happier that we have Walton finally over the line. If we can improve backline now and get them gelling as a defensive unit before the Charlton game then it's a step in right direction

• Like 1

“His size and physicality will help our team because we probably conceded too many goals from wide positions last term.

“Having a big 6ft 5in guy sitting in the middle of the goal probably puts off opponents putting the crosses in”

Thats something to pin your hopes on I suppose Tony... cos I’m pretty sure the fullbacks will give the opposition plenty of time and space to think about crossing. And Lenihan is quite poor in the air and Mulgrew abysmal. Maybe you should have signed someone 7ft plus just to be sure.

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

It's only really a worthwhile approach if the replacements you bring in are so successful you go up either automatically or through the play offs. Then obviously you're operating in a completely different marketplace.

if not you're just left with the same problem in 12 months time of having to replace said players.

Agreed, lot's of ifs and buts from both of us. Perhaps it's worth seeing how he gets on first before making a judgement. If we're six games in and he's clearly no upgrade on Raya then TM has a lot to answer for. 

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not really. Will have to reserve judgment on the new keeper but all that's happened so far if is we've replaced a potential star of the future with someone who isn't our player. 

Had we planned the Raya sale and then replaced him with someone obviously better we'd been after for ages then that might be a bit more like it.

At the start of the window I'd have said Raya was one of the last players that needed replacing, so if we'd have kept him Lenihan Nyambe and Dack and spent decent money on a really good centre half then that would have been good progress.

Losing your keeper and getting a CH (if indeed we do get a decent one) isn't that much of a step forward imo. Probably a step back all things being equal.

I wouldnt disagree that it seems unprepared and disorganised. At the end of the day the purpose of the window and what the manager will be judged on is to make the first 11 better... We can't judge that until the window has closed. I'll be massively p*ssed off if no investment is made into the defence. 

Just now, Miller11 said:

“His size and physicality will help our team because we probably conceded too many goals from wide positions last term.

“Having a big 6ft 5in guy sitting in the middle of the goal probably puts off opponents putting the crosses in”

Thats something to pin your hopes on I suppose Tony... cos I’m pretty sure the fullbacks will give the opposition plenty of time and space to think about crossing. And Lenihan is quite poor in the air and Mulgrew abysmal. Maybe you should have signed someone 7ft plus just to be sure.

You're right...probably. 

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

Managers' don't half talk some rubbish. Fans should ignore it all.

Walton's signing is good because Rovers now have a first choice keeper. Is he better than the last one? Nobody knows yet - but he is taller.

LeBron James has a few months off. He's 6'8" and can jump to the moon. Maybe we can use him as a central defender until the LA Lakers need him back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Fairly unrelated point. But that rubbish actually has an author’s byline.

Modern football journalism, just nick a load of tweets and bang them in an article.

Happy we avoided Carson, Hart and Foderingham.

• Like 2

Gallagher aside (waste of money on a position which wasn’t necessary) swapping Reed, Conway and Raya for Downing, Johnson and Walton we are set for another boring mid table season no progression what so ever 

• Like 4

Just now, Miller11 said:

Christ he's getting worse.

• Like 1

Just now, pick32 said:

Gallagher aside (waste of money on a position which wasn’t necessary) swapping Reed, Conway and Raya for Downing, Johnson and Walton we are set for another boring mid table season no progression what so ever 

We simply have to bring in a decent centre half - outside of this Citeh lad (if he ever is to arrive) - or you're right.

As an aside, that is a terrible quote by Mowbray. By all accounts the new lad is poor at commanding his area for a bloody start! I bet this is his answer to the defensive calamity that we were last season. 2016: "Wish we'd brought in a big lad at the back at Cov"....2019: "I know, I'll bring in a big GK to sort it at Rovers!"

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

So much can happen and usually does as the deadline approaches. Yes in an ideal world we would all like our business done early to bed players in. But let's see how things pan out over the last few days. Personally I think we are nearly there. I'd happily stick with leutweiler as no2 if we spend our last remaining budget on a couple of quality defenders though. And besides if it was all plain sailing how dull would transfer deadline day be ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Not having a go at you just saying I don't belief it is a likely situation from the looks of things, hoped to be proved wrong

You can only take him at his words, if he doesn't follow up then he'll likely and rightly get the stick he deserves. 

8 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sounds that way, but where was he on Sunday?

He picked up an injury in Training last Thursday only an impact injury, he has trained as normal this week and will be back at Bury tomorrow in the right back slot

• Like 2

I don't think getting in a genuinely commanding keeper is as easy as many people seem to think.

Even in the prem, how many keepers can you list that would fall into the category?

Fairly happy that Walton is at least Raya's equal. Fingers crossed we can now get a good CB in and then trim the squad down, seems massively bloated to me!

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

I presume when he’s with the players and there’s no microphone under his nose he talks less nonsense.

He already told us last season that he lets the players sort out their own problems as the dressing room is "their domain", so yes I suppose you're technically right.