BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

My lads to be honest. . Came In from work they told me it's broken down because we wouldn't guarantee him or city he'd be a starter ... are the little shits winding me up  ..I've been scrolling here n twitter can't see anything 

Edited by AJW

Just now, AJW said:

My lads to be honest. . Came In from work they told me it's broken down because we wouldn't guarantee him or city he'd be a starter ... are the little shits winding me up  ..I've been scrolling here n twitter can't see anything 

I've not seen or heard anything like that to be honest but then again I have not seen or heard anything in the past few days.

Just now, AJW said:

Is it true the deal for the city lad as fallen through? ? 

I saw something like that myself on a Rovers group on facebook. No sources, just rumors based on us not guaranteeing him 75% of games. Really hope not, his height and pace would compliment Lenihan perfectly imo.

Edited by BRFC4EVA

• Backroom
Just now, AJW said:

It's pretty weird that it was supposed to be all but done at the start of the week, yet it's now Friday and still absolutely nothing. If we can't even get a loan for a youngster done then I give up. Better wrap Lenihan and Mulgrew in cotton wool.

Just now, DE. said:

It's pretty weird that it was supposed to be all but done at the start of the week, yet it's now Friday and still absolutely nothing. If we can't even get a loan for a youngster done then I give up. Better wrap Lenihan and Mulgrew in cotton wool.

Maybe they use the same system as Liverpool, Team has to guarantee a certain percentage of games or there’s a massive fee in the clause 

27 minutes ago, Tango said:

Not the most ringing endorsement of Walton that Wigan chose to sign David Marshall rather than renew his loan deal. Still, time will tell I suppose.

Might not have been their choice. Or maybe they just thought it was time they got a keeper they owned, and probably cheaper.

8 minutes ago, AJW said:

Seems odd for us and City to have figured out that they want him promised games and we won't do that. Seems more likely to be a disagreement over the size of one of those clauses about him playing a certain amount of games.

It may not be true in this case but big clubs insisting on their players being automatic starters at other clubs is another symptom of football as a huge failure.

Talk wanting your cake and eating it too.

If he’s good enough, he will play.

Provided he breaks into Mowbray’s inner circle and not his packet of chocolate digestives.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AJW said:

I've seen nothing either way lately.

However, by all accounts it was supposed to be a done deal at the end of last week and it's gone very quiet.

So, who knows what's going on.

3 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

Maybe they use the same system as Liverpool, Team has to guarantee a certain percentage of games or there’s a massive fee in the clause 

In which case, more toing and froing to Poonay

We had a baffling summer window last year which really, with the exceptions of loanee Harrison Reed, and Armstrong/Rothwell, didn't get us very far.

We had a failure of a January window where we inexplicably allowed all our defensive cover out on loan and then watched as the regular defenders got injured. We also 'pursued' Assombalonga then appeared surprised that he is on big money at Middlesbrough which we are unable/unwilling to pay.

We've now reverted back to baffling/failing again this window. Utterly baffling to tie up £5 million on a player the manager won't play in his best position and to dish out big wages to players in positions which didn't urgently need strengthening and being sat here 1 week from the big kick off and 1 day from our final friendly with no defensive improvements whatsoever, little indication of getting any and as such a weaker defence than last year which dragged us down all season.

There will be the eternal optimists who cling to the idea that a young lad from City is going to sort it all out or one of those few young lads from the U23s are going to overnight become good standard Championship defenders but I'm not buying it. Even if Mowbray was bold enough to chuck them in at the deep end, which I don't think he is, they've not got any 1st team football behind them except brief loan spells at mediocre League One and Two sides (Hart and Grayson).

Mowbray has a rapidly diminishing time window to address this otherwise he's going to be out of excuses and time when/if results deteriorate like they did last season. Last season he had the benefit of momentum from League One and the excuse of giving a chance to those who got us promoted. Not this time. 

Only he truly knows why he's performed one of the biggest u-turns in transfer strategy ever witnessed. To go from his passionate, bold, even controversial comments at the Fans event late last season and the tagline 'defenders are coming, make no mistake' - laying blame at the door of those already here - to this ridiculous situation we now find ourselves in is beyond belief. Either he's lost his marbles or someone upstairs has forced him to change track. 

• Like 9

Just now, stinny1 said:

Good now go and get some experience defenders in, a big strong leader  at CB and soiled RB who can get up and down and defend . And then we can all sit down and enjoy  the season

Eww, does he have to be?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think Mowbray has completely lost the plot and the season hasn't even started yet.

I'm wondering the same. It all seems a bit like the end of Souness's time with us - a horrendous run of results then a few wins to see us safe, saying one thing then doing another. Random buys in the transfer market rather than building a team. 

This transfer window seems fairly poor to me. Am happy with Gallagher but the money was really needed elsewhere and shows what an almighty muck up Bereton was.

Reid for Johnson is arguably a step backwards - although Johnson is our player but at 32 how many seasons will we get out of him.

In goal we've got a keeper from a team arguably weaker than us who didn't look great when he played for them, and on loan so no long game for us either - and got rid of a talented youngster to boot. Downing could work but is risky and as for the defence. Also in all of this where is the long term - or more accurately medium term planning? All bar Gally will need replacing within a year, or 2 at most. Most likely next summer we have the same issues. 

The lack of depth is appalling. If Bennett is a legitimate right back choice football has died, Mulgrew is past it, Williams is mediocre at his absolute best and our first two choice centre backs - and the offer on the table "centre back" Rodwell are all injury prone and all will miss half a season. It caused us huge problems last year and likely will again. Forget medium term planning I'm not sure the short term is there. 

• Like 7

I realize I'm in the minority but I think Bennett is a decent right back. Not great, but can run all day, tackle and can put in a cross. Nyambe is a fine athlete who is good one on one defensively, but can't put in a cross to save his life. Still based on last season, our left was the major pain point. Williams had a horrible spell when everyone who just run past him on the outside and we conceded a lot from that side. Bell was a little better, but looks like he has an off switch sometimes where his mind is somewhere else. 

Still I think the whole board agrees that we are weakest central. Mulgrew is not a great defender, he backs off almost into his keeper every time and struggles with pace every time. If Lenihan is injured we are so thin and Mowbray himself said so this week. I'm a firm Mowbray supporter, but dissapointed that he has tracked back from the clear statement that defenders are coming. Still time to get a couple in, but I'm very confident that we will see Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew and Bell as the back four vs Charlton. 

• Like 2

Just now, briansol said:

I realize I'm in the minority but I think Bennett is a decent right back. Not great, but can run all day, tackle and can put in a cross. Nyambe is a fine athlete who is good one on one defensively, but can't put in a cross to save his life. Still based on last season, our left was the major pain point. Williams had a horrible spell when everyone who just run past him on the outside and we conceded a lot from that side. Bell was a little better, but looks like he has an off switch sometimes where his mind is somewhere else. 

Still I think the whole board agrees that we are weakest central. Mulgrew is not a great defender, he backs off almost into his keeper every time and struggles with pace every time. If Lenihan is injured we are so thin and Mowbray himself said so this week. I'm a firm Mowbray supporter, but dissapointed that he has tracked back from the clear statement that defenders are coming. Still time to get a couple in, but I'm very confident that we will see Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew and Bell as the back four vs Charlton. 

He certaintly can't put in a cross, he just loops it over the box and out for a goal kick. He isn't good enough for me anywhere never mind right-back. 

As for the other comments, I personally think Bell is worse than Williams but both aren't up to scratch and yes Mulgrew is past being 'past it' at this point.

Edited by iSeeRed
  • Like 3

I think the deal for Aradabioyo  is off due to the lack of guarantee playing time and the financial penalties if he doesn't play. 

I think we should be going after someone like Michael Hector or Jake Cooper. 

I also think why we haven't someone like that in so far as clubs asking price we have been quote for a quality player we need is current too night. Realistic, clubs are now going have too considering the amount of signings certain clubs need. Most clubs need 2 or 3 signings at least with 12 days to go of the transfer window. As per usual(since these transfer window) the last week of window will be chaos and utter madness   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-chief-delivers-transfer-update-1-9901229/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Paul Cook admits he totally understands the ‘frustration’ of Wigan Athletic fans at the lack of transfer activity to date.

But the Latics boss insists everything is being done behind the scenes to get the squad where it needs to be before the 5pm deadline on August 8.

Back up what I have been saying all summer that the transfer market as been slow and clubs aren't willing to drop their asking price to get rid of players or sell players to buy some signings so far

• Like 1