BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

25 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The old BRFCS shut down trick:

“Wait until the window is closed before commenting”.

*window closes*

”Well the window is closed now, we need to get behind the players we have. No point in going on about it now”.

Don't forget, "Keeping the powder dry" . That always crops up ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I'm disappointed with our business because, in my opinion, we have Failed with a capital F to address our defensive weaknesses of last season. I believed our manager in March or whenever it was when he made his comments that he 'got it' and would be moving quickly and decisively to address it. Here we are and it hasn't been addressed. The latest botch job in the process has been failing to land a kid on loan after losing out to PNE in a 12 month long pursuit of a free agent from Charlton.

I'm disappointed with pre-season because I think it has been poor. With the exception of Rangers I don't see any sign of our players being properly tested and it irritates me to see rival clubs lining up against continental top division opposition all summer whilst we turn up against a team of Bury trialists. I think it is badly organised, unimaginative and just another sign of the small scale, provincial, low cost approach we operate with these days.

The alternative optimist appoach to the lack of signings is to pin hopes on Mowbray promoting the youth and them doing the job or suddenly things improving with the existing back line. Neither are likely to happen, IMO. Mowbray has shown no desire to promote the youth, the best of them (Nyambe) has lost his place to Elliott Bennett whilst the others (Costello, Grayson, Hart) I don't think are ready for Championship football.

Mowbray will persist with the same personnel because they are the big hitters in the dressing room who he has had in his corner since the day he arrived.

You're an optimist Chris but even you must be starting to have doubts about things now?

Very worrying if he thinks sticking his very mediocre hardworking right sided midfielder at right back and his 35 yr old former winger jobs for the boys signing at left back will solve last seasons defensive issues.  Every window he seems to try and strengthen the forward areas but at the same time weaken an already week defence it's a genuinely bizarre policy no matter how any PR spinners try and dress it up.

Hopefully Sat was just one of his multitude of experiments and a bit of sense will prevail before the big kick off, maybe it'll work for a while but to me it's another of those just waiting to be found out systems.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Defence certainly needs sorting out but we don’t know what has happened with the city lad.  Maybe you are right but maybe he is waiting for someone else, maybe his parents are waiting for a better offer however it’s obvious he or us or city are not committed for whatever reason.  We will probably never find out but given that scenario we should have moved on early last week to give us more time before the deadline or start of season.  

It is poor management for that reason.

If the blockage is one of our football people, City’s people or the players people, I agree. If the blockage is the ownership, then that’s a different kettle of fish as moving onto the next target could well have exactly the same issue. Plus telling your owners to stuff it because they are taking too long could well introduce new logjams.

I would imagine getting Mowbray//Waggot/Venkys aligned on anything isn’t as easy as it’s made out on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

no doubts from me at this stage JH. maybe if a week time its the same I might start getting worried. 

The window hasn't ended. surely the time to judge is next Friday not now. 

But will you get worried Chaddy? Or will you just accept it and give a politicians answer again. I hope you would be concerned if we haven’t strengthened a weak back line which showed last season that it isn’t good enough. 

Im pleased that you are back by the way. A forum needs a mix of people and I’m pleased that you are posting again so please don’t take this as criticism. It’s more a plea for you to actually be frustrated if we don’t strengthen the back line.

• Like 5

Just now, Ricky said:

But will you get worried Chaddy? Or will you just accept it and give a politicians answer again. I hope you would be concerned if we haven’t strengthened a weak back line which showed last season that it isn’t good enough. 

Im pleased that you are back by the way. A forum needs a mix of people and I’m pleased that you are posting again so please don’t take this as criticism. It’s more a plea for you to actually be frustrated if we don’t strengthen the back line.

The defence will hold the team back in progressing on last season's 15th place. FACT, we can see who comes in before the window closes. Hopefully strides will be made

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’ve seen too many exciting-looking signings flop, and, to be fair, too many players of whom I had low expectations shine, to join the mass hyperventilating until we’ve seen a few games.

Couple of issues not getting enough airtime on here (IMO):

1) So far, for the 3rd summer running, we haven’t sold a star player. Compared to the summers where we sold Duff, Shearer,   Waggy, Barker, Bellamy etc., I’ll take this one so far.

2) You’d think we had model owners whereas I don’t believe these leopards have fundamentally changed their spots. With this City lad, which is more likely: Waggot, with his 20 years in the game, doesn’t think to ask about loan terms, or Pune baulks late on about the penalty fee if he doesn’t play X% of games? 

Defence needs sorting though.

1) There has been the sale of a star player (the keeper) and he hasn't been permanently replaced.

2) I know the default position on here is to blame the owners for everything but why would they have issues over a penalty clause? If Mowbray plays the player then the clause doesn't come into effect. If however Mowbray comes to them and says "I'd like to sign this guy but we're probably going to get hit with penalty charges for not playing him enough" then are they not perfectly justified in querying that and asking why the hell we want to sign him in the first place? 

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

1) There has been the sale of a star player (the keeper) and he hasn't been permanently replaced.

2) I know the default position on here is to blame the owners for everything but why would they have issues over a penalty clause? If Mowbray plays the player then the clause doesn't come into effect. If however Mowbray comes to them and says "I'd like to sign this guy but we're probably going to get hit with penalty charges for not playing him enough" then are they not perfectly justified in querying that and asking why the hell we want to sign him in the first place? 

I would not discribe Raya as a star. Maybe a potential good keeper 

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Raya a star, as crucial to us as the players I mentioned? Not in my book Rev. We did better when his #2 was played, not something that ever happened with Waggy or Bellamy.

The one consistent trait they have shown is to be hardball negotiators with other clubs. I don’t see why that would change on such a clause. 

And let’s be clear: it’s the owners that fooked this club, not Mowbray, and I think they are getting off very lightly in this window.

Not that we’ll ever know for sure either way of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

The old BRFCS shut down trick:

“Wait until the window is closed before commenting”.

*window closes*

”Well the window is closed now, we need to get behind the players we have. No point in going on about it now”.

This kind of thing is just as bad as when bigdogsteel gets in pre moans about how the message board is gonna react negatively to everything.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Yes the window closes on the 8th but (and I have no stats to back this up just my view) Mowbray tends to be slow to put players into the team, if we sign a defender on the last day we may not actually see them as part of the team until September or so, by which point a lot of points could have been lost 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Thought exactly the same thing. On past record he will come up with a new excuse for TM!

As I've said, lives a charmed life that Mowbray.

• Like 1

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

This kind of thing is just as bad as when bigdogsteel gets in pre moans about how the message board is gonna react negatively to everything.

Stuart does sometimes go as infuriatingly extreme as BDS, the other way. But tbf, I've absolutely seen the process he described play out in previous windows.

Some people will criticise the club or the manager no matter what.

Some people will defend and praise the club or the manager no matter what.

Just now, Tom said:

Yes the window closes on the 8th but (and I have no stats to back this up just my view) Mowbray tends to be slow to put players into the team, if we sign a defender on the last day we may not actually see them as part of the team until September or so, by which point a lot of points could have been lost 

By that I take it you mean September 2020 rather than 2019.

Just ask Harry Chapman.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Stuart does sometimes go as infuriatingly extreme as BDS, the other way. But tbf, I've absolutely seen the process he described play out in previous windows.

Some people will criticise the club or the manager no matter what.

Some people will defend and praise the club or the manager no matter what.

That's true enough, I think TM and co deserve criticism sometimes personally I don't like preemptive general criticisms of the message board, but I'm just adding to the moans.

The defence may be weaker at the moment but I still think the team is stronger.

I do think that we will sign at least one defender and just because it's late in the window doesn't mean he won't be good.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Sid the long-serving scout is finding it hard in the digital age.

He's asked for an upgrade on his company Sierra. 

And we must have the only scouts in England with no passports 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

We will have a defender or 2(hopefully) by that deadline. 

we need a new defender next to Lenihan to be 1st choice. Ive said who I prefer to sign. I couldnt comment on foriegn players as I dont watch any now

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

I think the frustration (for me at least) is that the majority of our business so far has been decent.

However it will be undone by failing to sign the defender we need.

Looks like we've had targets and missed out, which is a shame. Sounds like we are working towards getting some in. So let's hope we get these deals over the line.

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

We will.a defender or 2(hopefully) by that deadline. 

we need a new defender next to Lenihan to be 1st choice. Ive said who I prefer to sign. I couldnt comment on foriegn players as I dont watch any now

I think we definitely need one but agree we could do with two ideally. It’s a shame the players will have to come in with no pre season games to get up to speed. Every point is priceless in the championship and we can’t afford to drop points while players get used to playing together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s just common sense lads. The window closes on August 8th. To judge it before then is just odd. If we don’t get the defenders in then we’ve failed. End of.

Three points are available as of August 3rd. You would like to think any player has 7 days to integrate into the squad, especially if overseas.

That means... oh, wait a minute.

• Like 2