BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

All good Rovers teams have been built from the back. Hughes first 3 signings Mokoena Nelson and Sav all defensive and crucial to us staying up and building a base from.  

Souness for all our attacking talent brought in Bjornebye (so?!?) Curtis and Berg as a foundation for our promotion to the premiership. Granted we had the crown jewels of Duff, Dunn & Jansen but he still invested in the defence (and it's worth pointing out 2 of the 3 gems weren't fully established in the team.) He then ruthlessly upgraded Curtis to Neil when he could get an upgrade. 

Big Sam - key signings included Giver and pushing the boat out on Salgado. 

King Kenny - ensured we had the defensive prowess of Hendry, Berg, Kenna, Le Saux and Pierce as well as some rather handy strikers and midfielders. 

Point is good managers do not neglect the defence. TM needs to learn this. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 4

Just now, 4000Holes said:

Then why bother to ask the question?

Because 1864 keeps stating ‘that we need to get behind the team’, when I’ve seen no evidence for the last couple of seasons that we won’t.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Blue blood said:

All good Rovers teams have been built from the back. Hughes first 3 signings Milena, Nelson and Sav all defensive and crucial to us staying up and building a base from.  

Souness for all our attacking talent brought in Bjornebye (so?!?) Curtis and Berg as a foundation for our promotion to the premiership. Granted we had the crown jewels of Duff, Dunn & Jansen but he still invested in the defence (and it's worth pointing out 2 of the 3 gems weren't fully established in the team.) He then ruthlessly upgraded Curtis to Neil when he could get an upgrade. 

Big Sam - key signings included Giver and pushing the boat out on Salgado. 

King Kenny - ensured we had the defensive prowess of Hendry, Berg, Kenna, Le Saux and Pierce as well as some rather handy strikers and midfielders. 

Point is good managers do not neglect the defence. TM needs to learn this. 

We won the league spending buttons on defence, true enough! :-)

• Like 1

Think Sunderland and Portsmouth may be well suited for Smallwood as he would Do well in a team that plans for a promotion push. Maybe Ipswich can take him with Nuttall and we can have Both their Goalie and Edwards who is a descent left back. Can see alot

of things happening before 8th August.

Edited by neophox

Just now, Vilesinner said:

We won the league spending buttons on defence, true enough! ?

You think we don't need defenders? 

Are you saying that Kenny didn't invest in the defence because he didn't spend loads? - same goes for Hughes too: Mokoena £300 K I believe and Nelson also a pittance. Don't confuse investment and strengthening with big spending. The two don't always go together as a certain Bereton transfer will attest to. 

Bit worrying if you genuinely can't see top quality managers investing in their defences. 

• Like 4

Just now, neophox said:

Think Sunderland and Portsmouth may be well suited for Smallwood as he would Do well in a team that plans for a promotion push. Maybe Ipswich can take him with Nuttall and we can have Both their Goalie and Edwards who is a descent left back. Can see alot

of things happening before 8th August.

Goalkeeper joined Millwall today 

I see Adam Webster is linked with a 25 million move to Brighton. I had literally never heard of him. Checked him out then. Bristol signed him for 4 million, rising to 8 million. I completely missed that they were spending that kind of cash. I knew they signed a striker for 5 million, but I thought that was a once off. 

11 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

We won the league spending buttons on defence, true enough! :-)

We did but management was exceptional.  Actually took some time to get Hendry back from city.  Spent some money on Flowers, considerable at the time, and we certainly shafted Chelsea when we effectively swapped Livingstone for LeSaux who was very well regarded.  Great, great management considering Tony Gayle as well.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

We won the league spending buttons on defence, true enough! ?

Don't make things up. It wasn't buttons at the time.

Hendry was 700k, Le Saux 700k, Berg 400k, Pearce 300k. Kenna was later but cost 1.5 million.

These are the days when Shearer was the British record at 3.3 million. These were the going rates for good defenders.

Moreover, every single one of those players is equal or higher to the total fees Venkys have spent on our defence during TM's reign. Over 20 years later!! We now sign strikers for double the Shearer fee.

Hell I'd take a defender for buttons if he was good enough. Right now we haven't signed any this summer after having one of the worst defences in the Championship and letting two backup CBs leave. What are you missing here?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, stinny1 said:

just off topic anybody know what season tickets where sold the season we went down from the premiership

Around 14.5k I think, this is an article from back then when we were nearing the 12k mark https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6117545.season-ticket-sales-to-break-12000-barrier/

We averaged just under 20k I think, so must have been plenty of walk ons.

Season after we finished up with around 13k, we were at 12k here, see article https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6071412.rovers-thank-their-loyal-fans/ - Williams quoted in there as saying we could attract crowds of 20k, which we did, he knew how to get the crowds in, Waggot doesnt or refuses to.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see Adam Webster is linked with a 25 million move to Brighton. I had literally never heard of him. Checked him out then. Bristol signed him for 4 million, rising to 8 million. I completely missed that they were spending that kind of cash. I knew they signed a striker for 5 million, but I thought that was a once off. 

They have received getting on for £40 Million in the last year by selling Reid, Bryan, Kelly and Flint. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bates would be a good signing

Sharpe saying that Adarabioyo deal is getting closer

Is it physically possible to have gone any slower?

3 weeks for a loanee kid from Manchester. I can only assume Tosin had to drive to India to meet the V's first and is now on his way back... Nah, doing that literally would have taken less time. ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Will the support not be behind the team?

Its always behind the team. This idea that criticism on this MB translates into negativity at the ground is absolute rubbish.

One of the reasons i'm often critical is that I want the team to win so much. I have never booed or heckled a Rovers player in my life (sorely tempted though!)

• Like 2

Just now, Tormund said:

I’m surprised this Tosin lad hasn’t run off yet it’s taken so long!

Maybe the lads blagging an extra week holiday.. we’d all do the same.

• Backroom
49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yep, a good defender who wanted out of Ipswich after the way the fans treated Mick - and he wasn't the only one. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Because 1864 keeps stating ‘that we need to get behind the team’, when I’ve seen no evidence for the last couple of seasons that we won’t.

And how good would it really be if we managed to suppress some of the negativity ? Nothing better than a loud and raucous Ewood Park when the support rallies so does the team no matter who is on the pitch

• Like 1