BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Asked a City fan I know for his opinion on Adarabioyo.

He described him as stylish but a bit lightweight for a bean pole.

Maybe that will work alongside Lenihan, but I would like to see a nasty centre half in the squad as well.

Bambi on ice I've heard mentioned a few times... 

Still let's see, I'll judge him on what he does here, assuming he does finally arrive.

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

With the right manager, Palmer would of been a decent player. Doesn't help when you hardly play and when you do, you're out of position. Palmer got way too much stick for my liking. Him & Rothwell together would of been lethal IMO.

Who'd win the high balls and fill the gap when they get caught out on the edge of the box though? ?

Just now, Ossydave said:

Still let's see, I'll judge him on what he does here, assuming he does finally arrive.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Gary Pallister was described as Bambi on ice in his early days, and he turned out alright.

• Like 1

I firmly believe you don't get kept around and that close to the Man city first team unless you have something about you. I was watching about their academy a few months ago, they had around 200 players at each level, under 12s, 14s, 16s and they were all trying to get kept on. He was playing for the under 18s at 14 and captain art 16. To even make it to City is impressive, but to do it like that suggests there is something about him. 

The step up to the senior game is a big one and I do think that young lads at the big clubs don't get a real idea of football til they get out on loan to the lower leagues. The fact he was out last season alleviates some of those concerns. 

Time will tell though.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 8

Guardiola: "Tosin has a lot of steps to get him better. It’s not done, but he has all the quality. He is fast, strong in the air, and has the quality to look forward behind the line for the next pass. He definitely has a future in the first team. He is a nice guy, his mind is open, he listens, he trains every day like it’s the last training of his life and I like to work with these kinds of players a lot. 

He has his whole career ahead of him. He doesn’t have to defend anything, saying; ‘I did that, I was this, I won this’. Against true, tough teams - Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich - he played very well. He has a lot of things to improve and I hope we can help him to develop his skills.

• Like 2

I'll be happy enough to see Tosin get over the line. Whilst he doesn't tick every single box (he isn't an experienced brute leader) he adds height and mobility that could complement Lenihan well. Mixed reviews from WBA, but he was being compared next to two Premier League quality centre backs in Dawson and Hegazi, and now has a season in the championship under his belt. Fingers crossed.

A solid championship centre back ticking all the boxes was desirable but seeing Webster from Bristol City going for over £20m shows how tough it would be. At the start of the window most of us wanted us to go for somebody like Jake Cooper, expecting him to be available for £5m tops but with the current state of play Millwall would probably only start listening from £10m and beyond. There is the odd exception and the odd bargain to be found, but that doesn't detract from how tough the market has been.

If we go on to add another centre back, and add a left back (e.g Bormuth/Clark as mentioned on here) whilst not losing any of our best 18, I'd be pleased with the window.

I think we've improved our firepower, i'm not quite sure about the defence yet, but Johnson as a screen in midfield with Tosin plus one or two more defenders should be seen as an improvement. We threw away a silly amount of wins and draws last season due to stupid individual errors and late team collapses, leaving us 15 points off a play off spot. Time will tell if the new additions will make us at least 4 wins and 2 draws better, but there's definitely room for optimism despite the window not being a perfect one.

• Like 8

Just now, Don Said said:

I'll be happy enough to see Tosin get over the line. Whilst he doesn't tick every single box (he isn't an experienced brute leader) he adds height and mobility that could complement Lenihan well. Mixed reviews from WBA, but he was being compared next to two Premier League quality centre backs in Dawson and Hegazi, and now has a season in the championship under his belt. Fingers crossed.

A solid championship centre back ticking all the boxes was desirable but seeing Webster from Bristol City going for over £20m shows how tough it would be. At the start of the window most of us wanted us to go for somebody like Jake Cooper, expecting him to be available for £5m tops but with the current state of play Millwall would probably only start listening from £10m and beyond. There is the odd exception and the odd bargain to be found, but that doesn't detract from how tough the market has been.

If we go on to add another centre back, and add a left back (e.g Bormuth/Clark as mentioned on here) whilst not losing any of our best 18, I'd be pleased with the window.

I think we've improved our firepower, i'm not quite sure about the defence yet, but Johnson as a screen in midfield with Tosin plus one or two more defenders should be seen as an improvement. We threw away a silly amount of wins and draws last season due to stupid individual errors and late team collapses, leaving us 15 points off a play off spot. Time will tell if the new additions will make us at least 4 wins and 2 draws better, but there's definitely room for optimism despite the window not being a perfect one.

Johnson will make the world of difference in terms of game management. We lost a lot of games last season because we went onto the back foot and tried to defend our lead. When you add a player who can dictate games in the way Johnson has done over the years suddenly game management improves.

I have no doubt that Tosin is a great player judging by the comments from Pep. I saw him on Sky last season for West Brom and he looked a player then - only when I googled him and saw he played for City it clicked why he looked a step ahead of them. At the end of the day I'd take a baggies fans opinion with a pinch of salt - he's rated by arguably the greatest coach in the world as someone who will play for the first team of the best in England right now. If some weirdo from the black country reckons he's like Bambi on ice then whatever, he'll do for me.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I firmly believe you don't get kept around and that close to the Man city first team unless you have something about you. I was watching about their academy a few months ago, they had around 200 players at each level, under 12s, 14s, 16s and they were all trying to get kept on. He was playing for the under 18s at 14 and captain art 16. To even make it to City is impressive, but to do it like that suggests there is something about him. 

The step up to the senior game is a big one and I do think that young lads at the big clubs don't get a real idea of football til they get out on loan to the lower leagues. The fact he was out last season alleviates some of those concerns. 

Time will tell though.

I was talking to someone who knew Joe Nuttall before he got taken on at city. Apparently they get a letter through the post every month to tell them whether they've been kept on or not all the way through the youth system. He's 21 and City still want him around, add those words from Guardiola and him playing 30+ games for the 4th place team in this league last season and I'm quite excited about signing him.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Samba was described as bambi on ice initially he didn't turn out that bad did he?

• Like 5

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Samba was described as bambi on ice initially he didn't turn out that bad did he?

No, and as previously stated I'll judge him on his time here if he arrives, which I do want him to

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Johnson will make the world of difference in terms of game management. We lost a lot of games last season because we went onto the back foot and tried to defend our lead. When you add a player who can dictate games in the way Johnson has done over the years suddenly game management improves.

I have no doubt that Tosin is a great player judging by the comments from Pep. I saw him on Sky last season for West Brom and he looked a player then - only when I googled him and saw he played for City it clicked why he looked a step ahead of them. At the end of the day I'd take a baggies fans opinion with a pinch of salt - he's rated by arguably the greatest coach in the world as someone who will play for the first team of the best in England right now. If some weirdo from the black country reckons he's like Bambi on ice then whatever, he'll do for me.

WBA fans comments (as with any set of fans) are subject to recency bias. Finish a season badly or well, you're more likely to pay attention to this spell than their performances earlier in the year (or indeed, they bias your memory about what those earlier performances were actually like).

If you're as sad as I am and read through what they were saying at the time, his reviews earlier in the season were actually pretty good, and this from a set of fans who probably had higher expectations than most when it comes to the quality of their players at this level. Happy with this.

Totally agree about Johnson too. Our defensive frailties last year were about more than just the defenders (although one v. good centre half could feasibly have made an enormous difference).

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sharpe just tweeted that a loan fee was involved for Tosin and hopefully another centre half will join by tomorrow week. 

That would be a pretty class window. 

Certainly think it's going well so far. Caveat would have to be the defenders are partially unknown quantities, and are probably the more important signings, but definitely plenty to be optimistic about.

• Like 2