BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't get what you mean? 

You are talking like it’s Mulgrew’s shirt to lose, ‘you don’t drop the club captain for a new signing’. 

He lost his place in March due to piss poor performances.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Think Mowbray wants the next signing to be a goalkeeper.

The club are bouncing some low-ish offers off of clubs in Germany and Holland for CB's who are running down their contracts.

Bit of a bizarre move to make at this late stage of the transfer window. For me, if we don't tie down at least another CB and Winger, we have left a risk going forward into January with a lack of pace on the wings and a commanding CB for when Mulgrew has a patch of poor form.

Current goalkeeper target is out of contract and has been mentioned on here before.

Both the top leagues in Germany?

And running down their contracts means players that have ending contracts next year?

Edited by Swanson

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Since he arrived at the club 40 games 16 or 17 goals 7 assists last year which by anyone's standards is not bad return for someone who's not a striker.

But by your reckoning you would have flogged him before you even got to see him "go missing" so I assume you were talking about his league one performances as well. 

Nice save.

To me he's not worth £15m, so I'd have sold him when that offer came in. He's often a passenger and his lack of mobility really dictates our style of play (that and lumping it up to Graham).

Each to their own though.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

That sort of simplistic argument isn’t going to achieve anything but shut down discussion.

Not really, Nyambe is better than Bennett at full back regardless, so should be starting there.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sitting behind the hold up striker as we played all last season pretty much 

Sorry if I wasn’t explicit enough, when I said “two up top” I meant two strikers.

Anyway, we digress.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You are talking like it’s Mulgrew’s shirt to lose. He lost his place in March due to piss poor performances.

No, that's not what I said at all. I said you shouldn't land a guy you signed on loan 2 days previously into a starting 11 unless you absolutely must. The defense have been working together all summer, they have played together.

Also, when Mulgrew lost his place, he lost it to Williams. Who is now injured. If he wasn't, he would be starting. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

I think January will be a great window, I think some of our targets that potentially had ridiculous asking prices this window, may be more available in Jan as clubs look to get their own deals done. I'd expect an older keeper to come in January and maybe a European centre-back too.

And then come January it will be wait until the summer, just like it was last season.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Not really, Nyambe is better than Bennett at full back regardless, so should be starting there.

I would argue Nyambe isn’t a patch on Bennett when the balls in front of him, and in any modern formation where the wide forwards cut inside, it’s a necessity to overlap.

In defensive positions, the better player for me is Nyambe - but he’s made mistakes too, notably at set pieces (villa at home) and against counters (Preston away) so I personally don’t think it’s clear cut.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do wonder if some posters have ever played sport at any type of competitive level if they think the best thing to do would be drop Tosin into the starting 11 Saturday. Talk about setting a young lad up to fail. 

Very true sir. It's a team sport, and centre back pairings need more time than most. 

• Like 2

No, that's not what I said at all. I said you shouldn't land a guy you signed on loan 2 days previously into a starting 11 unless you absolutely must. The defense have been working together all summer, they have played together.

Also, when Mulgrew lost his place, he lost it to Williams. Who is now injured. If he wasn't, he would be starting. 

That’s exactly what you said. You said you don’t drop your club captain for a new signing as it isn’t FIFA 19.

When Mulgrew got back fit, he couldn’t get back in the side, much to the pleasure of everyone, so I don’t see why he should be a shoe in now (he will be, of course).

New signings have gone straight into sides since day dot, load of rubbish to suggest otherwise.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

When Lenaghan got a late tackle against Blackpool in the second half, Mulgrew just walked away from the situation. I would have liked to have seen a captain to go up to the Blackpool player and tell him that there would be retribution for what he had just done.

I remember against Wigan, Magloire’s debut and Garner was squaring up to him. Not one of our players got involved. I thought it was shameful how none of our players backed up a teammate, never mind a young lad on his debut.

• Like 3

It

Just now, Mattyblue said:

That’s exactly what you said. You said you don’t drop your club captain for a new signing as it isn’t FIFA 19.

When Mulgrew got back fit, he couldn’t get back in the side, much to the pleasure of everyone, so I don’t see why he should be a shoe in now (he will be, of course).

New signings have gone straight into sides since day dot, load of rubbish to suggest otherwise.

Managers have made poor decisions in the past too, yes indeed. But it's insane putting a young lad in there that has only just arrived. Better to play young Tyler. 

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Very true sir. It's a team sport, and centre back pairings need more time than most. 

Lenihan and Mulgrew have had more than enough time. Awful pairing with one relegation from this league already. Moving on from that is key to us doing anything this season.

• Like 7

Just now, Vilesinner said:

It

Managers have made poor decisions in the past too, yes indeed. But it's insane putting a young lad in there that has only just arrived. Better to play young Tyler. 

Is it hell ‘insane’. He played In this league all last season, at a better level than Mulgrew. A few days training and get him in.

Mulgrew and Lenihan have only played together a couple of times in pre season. 72 minutes at Rangers and at Blackpool.

Pointless argument as he won’t be playing anyway. Maybe gets a start at full back in about September.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

I do wonder if some posters have ever played sport at any type of competitive level if they think the best thing to do would be drop Tosin into the starting 11 Saturday. Talk about setting a young lad up to fail. 

If the replacement is significantly better, which we have to hope he is, then it's criminal to start Mulgrew just because he has experience playing with Lenihan. 

It's not rocket science - they won't be asking Tosin to do anything he hasn't been doing at an extremely competitive level since he was 16. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Heard all this last summer. When January arrived, despite supposedly having money, nobody arrived. 

This summer, despite supposedly having money, we've signed 2 youngsters on loan to 'address' Gk and defence and used up the Raya money on Gallagher.

Remains to be seen if we do any more but.if the rumours of chucking low bids around Germany are correct we aren't aiming for upgrades just number up squad fillers.

I think I remember TM saying that the January wasn't a good time to buy players and that he much preferred to get the business done in the summer?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I remember against Wigan, Magloire’s debut and Garner was squaring up to him. Not one of our players got involved. I thought it was shameful how none of our players backed up a teammate, never mind a young lad on his debut.

All nice guys, just like Mowbray.

Hopefully Johnson will have more bite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well at this stage it would be crazy to drop the club captain for a guy we signed on loan 2 days before the game. 

Crazy is signing a loan player who isn't good enough to start in a defence that leaked 60 plus goals last season.

Crazy is having all summer to fix the problem and failing to do so.

Crazy is starting the new season with the same defence that let us down this season.

In short, this new signing solves nothing. 

That's crazy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

Would the GK target come in to be number 1 above Walton?

Walton is being looked at as Number 1 by the club and that is certainly what Brighton expected from his loan spell. But the player who is being talked about has way more experience and age to him. It would be Walton's jersey to lose.

1 hour ago, Harry The Bass said:

B3261737-0B00-4462-ACEA-87DC27D3D6F1.jpeg

Not a chance with his wages.

37 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Both the top leagues in Germany?

And running down their contracts means players that have ending contracts next year?

From what I gather. The players Rovers are looking at ply their trades at the Bundesliga, 2. Bundesliga and the Eredivisie.

Edited by RovingRover
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Nice save.

To me he's not worth £15m, so I'd have sold him when that offer came in. He's often a passenger and his lack of mobility really dictates our style of play (that and lumping it up to Graham).

Each to their own though.

I thought it was a decent save tbh and fair enough each to there own but I just think when you see the prices going about 15m is cheap for him. 

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Signing this guy means nothing if we don’t get another centre half in. We also need another left back, but that’s not happening. One of the foreign CHs mentioned signing would mean we’ve had a decent(ish) window, as of now we’ve had a poor one.

Well I’m with you and if Skoric the Croatian joins us as the experienced one/ much needed animal then I think we have plenty of options and cover to get us feeling optimistic about challenging top 6 .

if we don’t get that type then it’s a big miss by Mowbray and potentially the difference between being up there and nearly men again. All of the above on the basis that he goes for it and doesn’t prepare like we’re playing Real Madrid every bloody week .

• Like 1