BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, DE. said:

I think Mowbray will see Bennett as a decent enough first choice right back (unfortunately) with Nyambe and Travis available as backup. Am I right in thinking JRC has been played on that side during pre-season as well?

JRC doesn't look like a right back at all, granted i've only seen him play it once and it's newish to him. In the friendly at Bury he was great going forward but got rinsed by their winger quite a few times, didn't have the knack to read things defensively at all and pulled the winger down twice to stop him, both would've been cards in league football.

His talents come further up the pitch, good prospect as an attacking mid/winger (better future than Chapman imo).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He really hasn't. Brereton looks a far better dribbler, is quicker and has shown better fininishes. What exactly has Nuttall shown that he is better at in your opinion? 

I've already said my piece on that.

Just now, OJRovers said:

From Tosin:

“I’ve not come here to play right back, I’m not a right back. I want to play centre half," he saiid.

“It was my first season out on loan getting senior games, so I enjoyed it, but I see myself as a centre half."

So we still need to sign a right back if Mowbray doesn't rate Nyambe.

Good that Tosin has put his cards on the table, and from what I've read Mowbray agrees

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Well yeah at 19/20 potential tends to be a word associated with players of that age. If Brereton gets minutes under his belt, as a striker, he will be a big player for this club I'm 100% certain.

I didn't dislike Nuttall but it wouldn't do him any good in his career to play a season of u23 football.

It's hard for strikers these days because of the formations teams are playing. So many play 1 up front, so just that 1 starting spot to battle for amongst 2, 3 or 4 strikers. Back when most teams played 442 it was a little easier.

Can you really see Brereton being the one up-front? A day out for the defence (opposition that is!).

36 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

1) The latter two left because they were................................................on loan.

2) Yes they did get dropped..................................................because they didn't play.

3) Is not upsetting players a sign of......................good man management? Especially as he DID drop players and they are still here, without kicking up a fuss.

4) That's simply not true and has no basis. If Mulgrew plays tomorrow it is because Mulgrew is fit enough to play. It has no bearing whatsoever on the man-management approach. Unsure whether you are being disingenuous or your desire to be edgy makes you say pretty silly things.

If Mulgrew plays tomorrow its because TM has picked him. Simple as that.

16 minutes ago, pick32 said:

It’s amazing how fans opinions differ so much, never seen anything in BB to sugest he will make it at this level, gets bullied every game and has zero composure.

At last!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I thought that was a given 47er.

If tomorrow is dry it's because it's not raining.

If tomorrow is Saturday today must be Friday. :o 

Yes but you said he'll be picked because he's fit! I wouldn't pick him if he was fit or not!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

From Tosin:

“I’ve not come here to play right back, I’m not a right back. I want to play centre half," he saiid.

“It was my first season out on loan getting senior games, so I enjoyed it, but I see myself as a centre half."

So we still need to sign a right back if Mowbray doesn't rate Nyambe.

No versatility!

• Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

Can you really see Brereton being the one up-front? A day out for the defence (opposition that is!).

And what are you basing that on? How many games did Brereton start, or even end the game up front last season? Bolton immediately springs to mind, oh yeah he scored then didn't he?

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Do you bother reading posts?Have a look at pic32's post on the previous page----which I "liked"

Brererton hasn't had the impact a 7 million signing should have but i still believe we have signed a good player, and a player who I fully believe will go on to have a better career than Joe Nuttall.

Too many people within the game talk up brererton's ability for him to be a dud.

Read an article featuring Mick Rathbone, who has worked with Brererton at Forest and England youth, he is of the opinion that Brererton has the potential to be a 30+ million pound player 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, philipl said:

During the Kean time when a lot of us were screaming about EVERYTHING falling apart, I observed that those who were backing Kean would eventually become trigger happy against a Rovers manager who didn't deserve the stick.

I think eight years on this is where we have arrived.

Let's face it with his nose, chin and accent, Mowbray doesn't look or sound the epitome of a Championship Manager coach but I believe we are fortunate in having a gem in Tony in very many ways.

I will also state this and stand up to be counted:

Rovers have played a blinder in this window this far. 

There have been kite flying enquiries about our stars but such is Mowbray's rapport with the players and persuasive vision for the club that they have been kicked back definitively before causing us any problems. We are now so late in the window that it is either £30m for Dack (sod people saying he's not worth it- would you pay over £80m for Maguire?) or time is short enough for us to sit it out and Pune to lose the key to their compound for a day or two...

And on this thread this time, looking  player for player our incomings have now strengthened us over every corresponding outgoing:

Walton at least equal of Raya without as many cock ups

Tosin over Downing

Gallagher over Nuttall

Downing over the Scottish winger I am currently blanking on

Johnson grit over Rodwell artistry

Proof will be on the pitch but on past records these are no brainer statements.

We have kept within budget and structures which has meant protracted negotiations but is the difference between a healthy club going into the 2020s and being Bolton.

And the signings are not closing opportunities to our great crop of youngsters coming through. Making it tougher yes but if we have designs on the Premier League it will be tougher but numerically we are all square.

Finally we have done our essential transactions yet have cash and players available to trade as we go into the bear pit at the end of the window when who knows what goodies at doable deals will become available.

Could agree more. Great post.

*** Scottish Winger???? Any details...

IF the plan is to play Lenihan/Tosin at centre half down the line when Tosin is up to speed, then boy does Lenihan really have to step up this season. He was certainly doing that towards the end of the season - particularly when he had the armband for a couple games, but it's still a big ask.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, 47er said:

Sigh--- for the third time (at least)---who were we playing against?

I don't understand this point you're trying to make. Did Danny Graham score in preseason, did Dack, did Gallagher? The answer is no. Does that mean that Graham, Dack and Gallagher are all incapable of being able to play against championship opposition because they can't score goals against lower league opposition in preseason? I think all three of those players have definitely shown they can cut it at this level. 

The fact is that preseason is all about building player form and confidence asn well as working on how the team approaches games. At the current time Armstrong and Brereton are our in form forwards and will definitely have the confidence in them to go out; go at the opposition and score goals after a successful preseason. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

IF the plan is to play Lenihan/Tosin at centre half down the line when Tosin is up to speed, then boy does Lenihan really have to step up this season. He was certainly doing that towards the end of the season - particularly when he had the armband for a couple games, but it's still a big ask.

We'll also hopefully get a proper full season out of him this year. He missed a significant portion of the 17/18 season through injury and a couple of months last season as well. Would be good for him to get through this campaign without any lengthily spell on the sidelines. 

Just now, DE. said:

We'll also hopefully get a proper full season out of him this year. He missed a significant portion of the 17/18 season through injury and a couple of months last season as well. Would be good for him to get through this campaign without any lengthily spell on the sidelines. 

Certainly looks as though Tony is throwing his eggs in the ‘Lenihan will stay fit’ basket. He’s the only one of his type that we have.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Maphsa said:

I don't understand this point you're trying to make.

He might look great against Blackpool or Barrow, doesn't mean he will against Championship clubs. Looked out of his depth last season.

Clear enough? No more I can say.

• Like 1