Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

How on earth can you deduce that we’re ‘behind’ already because Derby have signed Shinnie? 🙈🤣

Other clubs, even those still in with a shout of promotion, are actually signing players. Our manager has said more than once he doesn't know what the budget or the plan (if there is either) will be until he has spoken to the owners in India. Following that he is going off on his deserved family holiday. It's safe to assume therefore that no free agent arrivals will be here before June.

I'd like to be proven wrong on that but I think people expecting us here to move quickly to snap up the decent free agents are optimistic. We don't move quickly here.

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

How on earth can you deduce that we’re ‘behind’ already because Derby have signed Shinnie? 🙈🤣

Because Mowbray can't do anything until he's flown out to India to agree the budget. He'll be doing that next week or the week after. It's not difficult 🙈🤣

I'll personally be amazed if anyone is signed before the players come back for pre season.

Became clear in January players we were chasing were unavailable on price and wages in our plan.

Issue now is still finding quality on the right terms, either on loan or purchased. Not expecting us to us our full 5 loan places but one or two of high calibre are highly probable. Rovers are in a much stronger position getting top quality loanees than we were 12 months ago. 

If you are feeling envious of signing Graeme Shinnie, good luck to you.

24 minutes ago, philipl said:

Became clear in January players we were chasing were unavailable on price and wages in our plan.

Issue now is still finding quality on the right terms, either on loan or purchased. Not expecting us to us our full 5 loan places but one or two of high calibre are highly probable. Rovers are in a much stronger position getting top quality loanees than we were 12 months ago. 

If you are feeling envious of signing Graeme Shinnie, good luck to you.

Its not Graeme Shinnie though is it. It's a club where they are able to swiftly take action to sign a free agent before his existing contract is up and before this season is over with, whilst our lot have to fly around the world next week or whenever it is and won't know what they can do until that is over with.

Just now, JHRover said:

Its not Graeme Shinnie though is it. It's a club where they are able to swiftly take action to sign a free agent before his existing contract is up and before this season is over with, whilst our lot have to fly around the world next week or whenever it is and won't know what they can do until that is over with.

Whilst we’d all agree our process needs to continue the recent improvement, can I add that many deals like this come down to availability and situation at the time.

For instance, if we wanted Reed ASAP - I’m sure this wouldn’t become an option (without going way above wage/asking price) until he’s had a holiday, recovered from injury and weighed up his options.

Ive no concerns yet either - I’m quite sure the window is closed for another month anyway, not that you can’t line up deals.

19 minutes ago, unsall said:

Heard John Ruddy could be on his way !!!!

Precisely the type to replace the Leut as one of our two main GKs

Just now, philipl said:

Downing is out of contract this summer, so I can't see Doncaster buying him.

So Mowbray has backed down on resolving the team's biggest problem - the fact we have a dodgy goalkeeper.

Doesn't bode well for him signing the quality defenders we also need this summer. 

I once had a conversation with an ex Rovers manager who told me that planning for a window starts immediately the previous one has closed. The process begins with identifying players in areas that need strengthening and the list can be exhaustive but prioritised. An idea of their value, wages etc is added and this gave him an indication of potential spend against his budget. As soon as possible contact is made through agents. Sometimes the players demands or fee his club are asking will curtail the deal and the club would move onto their next target.

The key to this is the manager knowing his budget. It doesn't sound like Mowbray knows what he has to spend.

Just now, arbitro said:

I once had a conversation with an ex Rovers manager who told me that planning for a window starts immediately the previous one has closed. The process begins with identifying players in areas that need strengthening and the list can be exhaustive but prioritised. An idea of their value, wages etc is added and this gave him an indication of potential spend against his budget. As soon as possible contact is made through agents. Sometimes the players demands or fee his club are asking will curtail the deal and the club would move onto their next target.

The key to this is the manager knowing his budget. It doesn't sound like Mowbray knows what he has to spend.

We knew straight away we'd not be able to afford Assombalonga and the like in the last window but they publically flirted with it all the way along.

Not having a dig at Mowbray but he does have form for many bold words then some rapid back tracking and i'm not altogether sure it's always to do with budget. I prefer to expect underwhelming then i'll be doubly delighted if not.

The name of John Ruddy is a positive though but i'll be amazed if he ends up here.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

So Mowbray has backed down on resolving the team's biggest problem - the fact we have a dodgy goalkeeper.

Ya, because it would make a lot of sense to say "i am signing a new number 1". It would be really intelligent. 

I think the Raya comment is more about the dynamic between him and the Canadian goalie, rather than any new keeper. I hope so anyway. I remain sceptical about the Ruddy rumours, as we all know a transfer budget is usually agreed long into the window by Venkys after manager x or y has made the pilgrimage to Pune.

Lots of good players on the released lists. Brentford have let a couple go McLeod and the ex Chelsea lad who both were considered very promising. If we could keep them fit they may be good signings. 

Edited by Blue blood

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Downing is out of contract this summer, so I can't see Doncaster buying him.

It is a mildly interesting negotiation given that that we hold an option on a player we don't really want, yet may be wanted elsewhere. Could negotiate that we will pick up the option unless they send us £100k, or whatever. Doncaster may have a few quid to spend if they squeak through the playoffs and he seemed to be an automatic pick for them as they battled to the playoff spot.

Probably ultimately depends on if there's any other prospective buyers for Downing to give us any sort of leverage over Doncaster, which may be doubtful (at least at any sort of price that would make picking up his option worthwhile as Downing appears to be a Championship/L1 tweener). May depend on his current wages too, as Downing may then want us to pick up the option to give him leverage on Doncaster wages-wise. 

Hardly a game changer for the budget, but a lower-revenue Championship club like ours should be looking to squeeze every asset of their worth.

...I did say it's only 'mildly' interesting.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Good job he has money left over from two windows to get cracking with then 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Where has this Ruddy rumour come from? 

An ex player,says nearly done deal, but we will see, heard all this before, but think it would certainly be a good signing, big lad 6’4”.

Just now, unsall said:

An ex player,says nearly done deal, but we will see, heard all this before, but think it would certainly be a good signing, big lad 6’4”.

Be a great signing IMV

Regarding Ruddy, apparently (so my Norwich supporting friends tell me) he still lives in the Norwich area and commutes to Wolverhampton as he didn't want to leave the area when he left Norwich.

I can't imagine a commute up to Blackburn every day is plausible so if the above is true it might be a sticking point in any deal. 

Would be a good signing IMO if we could get it done though!

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Doesn't bode well for him signing the quality defenders we also need this summer. 

In my opinion the keeper is not the biggest problem. Defence is.

Still has a year left on his contract by looks of it.