BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

So, I see that defence has still not been addressed apart from a young loanee and a keeper that is equally as commanding (not very) than what we already had. "Defenders are coming!" could be the undoing for TM.

its outrageous that our back 4 on Saturday was the same that shipped 6999 goals last season. Did we have one CB target only in Bauer? Numerous Championship quality CBs have been moving for half what we paid for Gallagher. In isolation I am not against the Gallagher signing but if we have done another BB and spent the lions share of our money on our frontline when it is the other end of the pitch that needs it - that is unforgivable.

Rabbits need to be pulled out of the hat in the next couple of days. Experienced CB, a new LB and if we cannot get a RB too, Nyambe or JRC needs to be played there. 

• Like 1

Williams (already out), Mulgrew and Lenihan are all injury prone as it is and that's before you even begin to classify whether they are good enough individually or collectively at this level. How this part of our team is seemingly always neglected each window is beyond me. We will have spells where one or more of those at the back will be out injured this season and we just don't have the strength in depth to be able to cope with it.  

LB and CB a priority. Another keeper not so much. 

• Like 9

Just now, Gary C said:

They have probably realised that Dacks off his game and Lenihan cant actually defend

Lenihan is a better player when not alongside Mulgrew. I am hoping that Tosin will replace Mulgrew but something tells me he will be put in at RB.

9 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

As I said, I’d expect him to be an upgrade but proof is on the grass.

It may be as easy as “here’s 5m, I’ll have a 6 foot 5 dominating Centreback please who fits our wage structure” in your view, but not my own!

Its the scouting team's job to find suitable players.

Do we have one ? Fit for purpose? Preston got one for free.

Just now, Ricky said:

Maybe seeing Maguire go for £80m and Ake being priced at £70m will make the owners think about the defence if it’s true that they are solely interested in player profits.

It is odd this stance on defenders. ironically, wasnt it Phil Jones the first player they sold off for 15 million and that was 10-years ago. Admittedly, while defenders are going for 80 million you have strikers going for twice that but to be completely ignoring investment for profit in the back-line is a bit backwards. Didn't Bournemouth just buy one from the Championship for 20 million? Thats more than we would probably get for Dack.

8 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

With the same defence we got four points from Derby.

It means absolutely nothing in the context of where we are now.

Rotherham took four points from us and were one of the worst teams in the league.

7 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Usually enjoy what you post. Travis natural position is RB..... Has been his whole career.

I thought that he’d just played there a few times for the under 23s but he’s naturally a centre midfielder? If I’m wrong then I’ll hold my hands up but even from watching the lad play he doesn’t strike me as someone who could play right back. I’m happy enough with him in centre mid that’s for sure. 

If we're only making 1 signing it has to be a left back , the 3 we have are shite ! And we have to start playing Nyambe at R/B

Nyambe Tosin Lenighan and a new left back , that would improve our defence no end 

I haven’t seen any rumours about this except the first part, just a hunch I have.

Celtic are apparently fighting off bids from high up Italian clubs (Inter being one name) for Jozo Simunovic.

I can see them coming in for Lenihan (did I read they were allegedly in for him last Summer?) if JS says he wants out. Fits a lot of the requirements to play there, notably being a young(ish) Irish lad with potential to increase value significantly.

Worrying indeed if that does happen as we simply cannot say no to a bid of anything over £8m for him, and seemingly we are bereft of ideas when it comes to signing defensive players.

However, as mentioned above, the market for defenders has now rocketed, meaning there is actually some profit potential there - hopefully this will stop Venky’s (if it really is their attitude) vetoing any defender bids we want to make based on future profitability. That said, they did allow the signings of Downing & Johnson (who I rate) without a chance of turning a profit on either of them.

**EDIT**

I have just seen that Leicester might be in for Ajer also, so another CB that Celtic may lose. 

Edited by CheshireRover
News update

Just now, AJW said:

If we're only making 1 signing it has to be a left back , the 3 we have are shite ! And we have to start playing Nyambe at R/B

Nyambe Tosin Lenighan and a new left back , that would improve our defence no end 

Bell, Williams, Downing. Our record buying full back is poor.

If we could only bring in one player between now and the window closing it would be a hard as nails, no-nonsense centre back. Right now Hanley would do. Mulgrew should be a champagne midfielder at this stage of his career, not our last man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJW said:

Depends if the new Tosin and left back are any good.

I do agree we may drop Bennett and Mulgrew next game. Nyambe in definitely as Bennett had an absolute shocker. Maybe Mulgrew, but he probably has more chance of surviving. Bell will retain his place as there's no one to take it.

Waggott: ''if anything pops up where we feel we could be interested we will look”

Good to see Mowbray and Venus hard at it but fear not "Defenders are Coming"

Meanwhile, the LT has been telling Rovers fans how to use Social Media. I am assuming Sharpe is actually a Rovers employee.  

• Like 1

So the fee for Nuttall was £500,000. I'd say that was good business considering. Of course that ensures we are probably even for the summer and haven't spent anything net.

Sounds like we are waiting to see if anyone departs and if so if anyone drops into our laps on the cheap. 

Very poor.

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

- just seen @Kamy100 tweet out that the Venkys have injective £9m odd. Could this mean a transfer incoming?

We were told we had a similar budget to last season. Would be typical Venkies if it has only just materialised a couple of days before the end of the window.

Kinda feels like our business with Raya was done to give us some cash for Gallagher while the remaining signings were freebies. Might also explain why the loan took so long to complete if the money only came available at the end of last week - there will surely be a loan fee for Tosin.