BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, 1864roverite said:

YET Merc they still fund the club ? Lets be real about the actual money they do put into BRFC. Its a drop in the ocean to what they actually earn as an overall business worldwide with many linked companies etc. Its a tax write off at worst. If the pot ever runs dry then venkys will have gone bust worldwide which on the fact of it is never going to happen as they have total dominance in poultry/animal vaccine/medicines as well as their other ventures. 

As for TM some are way ahead of themselves. We have lost 1 game and the critics are out in force. If we go onto win a number of games, Brereton and Gally score a few, Dack and Downing are the supply line then a few on here will eat their words. Me? I see it happening and whilst I am not overly concerned about any chances of Rovers being in a relegation scrap I really do think we are capable of a top 6 finish. It will take a few weeks to get into stride but I am certain we have much better players than some on here think we have.

I have doubts we could even make the top half. The team isn't stronger than last season, a season we finished 15th in.

Even if those players were banging the goals in, Mulgrew would still be getting caught under the high ball and Bell would still be caught napping and we'd still lose games.

Yes it's 1 game but we went for 2 months barely winning a game last season and the same problems are still evident. We barely created anything against Charlton, a very very poor team based on Saturday's viewing, so this new style of play that TM wants to implement seems just as slow and ponderous as I imagine many were expecting.

39 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I prefer the all-powerful manager. Running a football club by committee with DoFs may be the modern way and might work for some clubs but you only have to look 10 miles down the road to Burnley to see how a top-class manager can transform even the most unpromising clubs. I would have trusted a top football man like Sam Allardyce to have to run Ewood from top to bottom, like Ferguson at Old Trafford. 

You can have a great "system" in place with scouting and coaching teams but unless you get the right manager, you're not going to get anywhere.  

Getting in the right manager, such as Dyche, is the first step.

The second step is to put the systems in place so that, when Dyche leaves, it isn't 100% dependent on the next managerial appointment.

Southampton are the perfect proponents of this (Swansea as well, before they went sack happy). Nigel Adkins brought them up two leagues and they sacked him. They went from strength to strength while chopping and changing managers. Admittedly, they've had some dodgy times in the last few seasons but...this was League One Southampton in 2011.

So, start with the right manager is the way to go. Bt then, you need to carry it on when they leave. Our most relevant example would be Souness onwards under John Williams. Incredibly successful until the Venky's swanned in and sacked Big Sam. We've never recovered, and yet we had the system down perfectly until then when the Walker family sold us down the river to these charlatans . 

Edited by RoverAbroad
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

YET Merc they still fund the club ? Lets be real about the actual money they do put into BRFC. Its a drop in the ocean to what they actually earn as an overall business worldwide with many linked companies etc. Its a tax write off at worst. If the pot ever runs dry then venkys will have gone bust worldwide which on the fact of it is never going to happen as they have total dominance in poultry/animal vaccine/medicines as well as their other ventures. 

As for TM some are way ahead of themselves. We have lost 1 game and the critics are out in force. If we go onto win a number of games, Brereton and Gally score a few, Dack and Downing are the supply line then a few on here will eat their words. Me? I see it happening and whilst I am not overly concerned about any chances of Rovers being in a relegation scrap I really do think we are capable of a top 6 finish. It will take a few weeks to get into stride but I am certain we have much better players than some on here think we have.

I don't know a lot about finance but surely taking anything for granted in regards to Venkys is not smart.  

It may be that there is some financial trickery that means they can write off some of the money (£170+ million is a lot to write off) but I don't think they are happy losing money if they were why bring in two accounting firms to go over all the books?  

We might be better in midfield and attack but we are weak in defense, last season showed it and the Charlton game just confirmed it and even if Tosin is as good as Pep makes out Lenihan might get injured and Bell will still be poor.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, imy9 said:

I'm really, really hoping that all of this is cloaks and daggers and we will sign a couple of players by Thursday. 

A tough CB and equally competent LB please. 

Me too! Or even hoping that we do another loan to buy deal for two top defenders. It’s the hope that kills you....

5 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I don't know a lot about finance but surely taking anything for granted in regards to Venkys is not smart.  

It may be that there is some financial trickery that means they can write off some of the money (£170+ million is a lot to write off) but I don't think they are happy losing money if they were why bring in two accounting firms to go over all the books?  

We might be better in midfield and attack but we are weak in defense, last season showed it and the Charlton game just confirmed it and even if Tosin is as good as Pep makes out Lenihan might get injured and Bell will still be poor.  

I see it as money spent rather than lost as in debt it's all just paper accounting talk to them. They can afford somehow to write it off obviously there's no way a financial backer like a bank or similar would keep funding this type of thing.

Unless it was getting some kind of interest or being paid down every few years that is.....

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Until they appoint a quality CEO and a quality football manager then nothing will change.  Think best we can hope for is stagnation.

I think as a club, £millions is spunked away on footballers who are not up to the mark.  Beggars belief that a fraction of that can't be invested in a quality CEO and a quality football manager. - as I said yesterday, those are the two guys who will make or break a club.

I suspect the issue may be that a CEO and manager with high stock in the game wouldn't take Venkys' shit.

• Like 3

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not hearing anything interesting, all very weak links.

sigh, could be a long season

Time to start the January 2020 transfer thread? here we go

No point buying in the January transfer window , prices too high blah blah, have faith and wait till the summer 2020 window when we can buy players to fit the new style of play

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

With the right additions I think we could have challenged the top 6. 

Me too. Like under Bowyer, we could and should be challenging for the top 6.  We have the firepower, we should have shored up the defence. There's still time but I'm not hopeful at all but you never know. TM needs to quit this pissing around with Bennett at RB, Mulgrew in the middle and the utterly useless Bell at LB. It says a lot when Williams is a surer bet at CB, he's bog-standard at best but far steadier than Charlie.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Time to start the January 2020 transfer thread? here we go

No point buying in the January transfer window , prices too high blah blah, have faith and wait till the summer 2020 window when we can buy players to fit the new style of play

.... yep, and the back 4 starting season 2020-1 will be Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell.

15 hours ago, Ossydave said:

This sums up how a lot of people are feeling round about now.

I'm still not convinced the owners aren't fecking about though as well making transfer dealings 10 times harder than they should be. He's not gonna have the balls to come out and state that though so it'll continue, unless he walks which is also doubtful.

Dropping Bennett at weekend would be a start though and claw back some credibility for TM.

Are there still branches of Burton's the Tailors?

Becauseif there are, I'm prepared to show my a*se in one of their windows if Bennett's named in the team to play Fulham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

They can't write it off to gain anything personally.  It is real capital of theirs that has moved from A to B. All in, the Venkys are down to the tune of around £200m - that's why the bullshit  'conspiracy theories'  have ebbed away because it has finally dawned that the V's have invested in the club, albeit very badly. They clearly aren't taking money out of the club, what they have wasted far exceeds what they could cash in on and at this point and without a doubt, we need them to foot the bills.

• Like 1

The more i think about it the more it seems unlikely Mowbray has just decided to ignore the defence and hope for the best i really now reckon it would have to be 1 out 1 in.  He's tied his own hands with that because he'd have to cash in Lenihen on the cheap because no one would want any of the others even free because of their wages.

Aside from Nyambe that is who was frozen out last season despite being no worse than the rest and now inexplicably left out for Bennett.  Something is at play there, watch this space.

Just now, tomphil said:

The more i think about it the more it seems unlikely Mowbray has just decided to ignore the defence and hope for the best i really now reckon it would have to be 1 out 1 in.  He's tied his own hands with that because he'd have to cash in Lenihen on the cheap because no one would want any of the others even free because of their wages.

Aside from Nyambe that is who was frozen out last season despite being no worse than the rest and now inexplicably left out for Bennett.  Something is at play there, watch this space.

You might be onto something there 

Mowbray hasn’t got a window right apart from patching up for league one when signing dack, antonsson and downing. And even then his big purchase whittingham was a flop.

he is league one manager at best and I’d love him to move on and let Johnson to come in and be braver. 

Unfortunately I can’t see it with the positioning he has has made for himself with his own team in there. Don’t know what it would take to get rid, we are going to be near the bottom for a period of time here with the start we have had and the fixtures 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You might be onto something there 

I know i question him a lot but it's more through sheer frustration he's a good defence away from being a really good manager and it's something he's admitted to recognising as a weak spot. Can't fathom why he'd say what he's said and then totally ignore it.

Mercer might be onto something with his sell to buy line in terms of big cash signings.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Mowbray hasn’t got a window right apart from patching up for league one when signing dack, antonsson and downing. And even then his big purchase whittingham was a flop.

he is league one manager at best and I’d love him to move on and let Johnson to come in and be braver. 

Unfortunately I can’t see it with the positioning he has has made for himself with his own team in there. Don’t know what it would take to get rid, we are going to be near the bottom for a period of time here with the start we have had and the fixtures 

If we look like relegation fodder coming up to Christmas which is a real possibility with the defence we currently have, then V’s will pot him.  As K-Hod stated, he has 2 days to rectify the situation

Just now, tomphil said:

I know i question him a lot but it's more through sheer frustration he's a good defence away from being a top manager and it's something he's admitted to recognising as a weak spot. Can't fathom why he'd say what he's said and then totally ignore it.

Mercer might be onto something with his sell to buy line in terms of big cash signings.

I think there could be something more from a numbers viewpoint. Mowbray always goes on about "being fair to players". If another club doesn't want Mulgrew for example, he probably looks at it and thinks that he can't really have 5 Cbs and never play some players. Obviously this approach is bad and a total cop out 

The thing is we have a few players that I don't think there would be much interest in that we could really do with moving on.  

To be honest, who knows, our recruitment is unbalanced to put it very mildly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

You’ve obviously got a few contacts close to the club - is that their opinion too?