BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

8 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Top of my list was a new left back, so I’m happy that we’ve got Cunningham.

Really wanted a combative all round midfielder, so happy with Johnson.

Downing decent squad player.

Keeper will be alright, but he’s not ours.

Big worry is centre back. Tosin has played about 10 games there at this level and Williams brings on pressure with his woeful distribution.

Gallagher money should’ve been used for a bit ugly centre back who puts his head on everything (eg Hanley).

Overall 3/10 this window.

So 4 out of 6 signings you're alright with or better, including your no 1 priority, yet you only score the window 3/10? That doesn't make sense.

Edited by Atko's Engine
Grammar

What happened to all the hand-wringing about senior players running the dressing room? Conway gone, Mulgrew gone, Graham starting on the bench, and not before time IMO.

The bold move would be to make Johnson captain. I wondered on Saturday how long he’d wait before imposing himself on the dressing room. He clearly didn’t look or sound happy about what he saw.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray is losing the dressing room? Not sure at all of this. He is right to get rid of Mulgrew. 

Hopefully we will sign Cunningham permanently next summer. Mowbray has 9 months to find a new number 1 keeper and number 2 keeper. Plus 3 and half months to find a centre back who is a leader on the back

There will be some very disgruntled individuals in there.  Nyambe, Rothwell and Brereton to name but three (and can you blame them).

Mulgrew, like Raya, will feel like he's been hung out to dry.  Mulgrew is very influential, an international with some 40 caps or more, and you can be sure others will take note of both his displeasure and likely castigation of Mowbray.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

BTW, can any window be more "humiliating" than signing and not signing Roy Keane?  Ot missing out on Zidane? Or the Polish centre forward?

Don't be silly. 

Going for a world class player and failing to land them is not humiliating.

Competing at a much lower level in the  market for run of the mill players  and identifying your main targets but consistently failing to land them like Bauer and Hanley is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

He'll no! Reed isn't needed. Gallagher looked pretty good when played as striker. Pretty sure he and Ben B are going to have fine seasons.

On what evidence?

Gally hardly had sniff of a chance on Saturday. At no point did you feel that he wanted to control the ball, turn, and head towards goal. Or beat a man. Or muscle past a defender to get to a header.

I maintain that neither Gally or Ben are natural footballers. They don't hit the target, create anything for themselves or naturally arrive in the box at the right time.

13 mill was more or less our budget for the last 12 months and we've spent it on 2 players from the reserves.

They need to score 25 goals between them. At least. In addition to Rothwell, Armstrong, Dack & Graham's goals. I predict this won't happen. 

We treat them as if they are willing free transfers with potential. 

They are the reason we havent bewn able to offer 5+ mill for a proper CB.

I really think our most productive front 2 will be Dack & Graham.

Please prove me wrong, Gally & Ben...

• Like 7

Just now, garnersfags said:

Gally hardly had sniff of a chance on Saturday. At no point did you feel that he wanted to control the ball, turn, and head towards goal. Or beat a man. Or muscle past a defender to get to a header.

I maintain that neither Gally or Ben are natural footballers. They don't hit the target, create anything for themselves or naturally arrive in the box at the right time.

Sad thing is , your first paragraph describes a young man on the bench and your second paragraph explains why he should be playing ....we were playing the Charlton number 6 at his own game. Get the ball into Joe's feet against him and more would have happened.  90 minutes against the Charlton defence and Rothwell would have either scored or made one....just poor management 

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Interesting that many are lauding some teams buying largely unknown players from abroad. People have short memories  - remember the Portugeuse experiment ?

This window will be defined by whether we get a half decent out of contract central defender. Also huge pressure on Tosin coming good.

For all the criticism of TM - I wonder how much he has been limited by our wage bill. For which the lack of season ticket sales won't have helped.

I don't doubt the wage bill was full to bursting.

However Mowbray brought this entirely on himself by unnecessarily handing out new deals to the likes of Graham, Evans, Bennett, Smallwood, Mulgrew, and replacing the superfluous Conway with the even older and presumably more expensive Downing.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, to be honest I am surprised to hear we are the ones in pole position to sign him. I would go as far as coup.... 

Huge, huge, huge upgrade on what we have. A proper defender. 

You are correct in saying it's a coup for you. Thought some of the real big hitters in the league would be all over him tbh.

Was a fan favourite with us. What further rubs salt into the wounds is that we loaned out a left back last week, failed in a bid for Max Lowe from Derby and then didn't even try to source another one, leaving ourselves short. Rank bad management from those upstairs and Neil doesn't sound happy about how our window has gone despite getting Bayliss. Then Greg joins Blackburn!

Our goalkeeping situation is a mess too. Led to believe we were also in for Walton but missed out.

Edited by north_ender
  • Like 1

I think most fans are unhappy. We come back from our hold with high expectations and our dreams are shattered. Because that’s what they are. Meanwhile someone may have to eat “Peter Frampton” if this doesn’t go through. 

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-leave-it-late-for-charlie-mulgrew-1-9925339

Just now, bigbrandjohn said:

I think most fans are unhappy. We come back from our hold with high expectations and our dreams are shattered. Because that’s what they are. Meanwhile someone may have to eat “Peter Frampton” if this doesn’t go through. 

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-leave-it-late-for-charlie-mulgrew-1-9925339

I think it was just done so late that it cant be formally announced until the UK reopens. Humble Pie should be safe enough.

Mind you it would be entertaining if it has gone tits up.

I wonder if we will ever know what really provoked this amazing last minute fiasco.

I think this story has a bit to run. I hope Charlie gets a fair hearing and not depart under a cloud.

Whats going on cannot believe we are about to loan out our captain to a championship rival has mowbray lost the plot also we are left with inexperienced goalkeeper and centre half both on loan when we needed experience in both those positions Mowbray has had plenty of time to locate the necessary players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Think we have to hope it does now, it would be awkward beyond belief if having basically bombed him out of the Club, the player is forced to return until January. We'd almost have to pay him to sit at home.

Amateur hour doesn't even begin to describe it.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Not been able to keep up as I've been at work until 2am, but has there been no one coming in, but Mulgrew has gone to Wigan and Magloire is out on loan?

If that's the case, this has been dire, and the defence is even weaker.

Greg Cunningham LB season loan from Cardiff. Highly rated ex PNE

7 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think this is a disgusting attitude. Mulgrew has been poor for a while. The bloke needed replacing. But for the last 6 or 7 years or so it's been difficult to really sing many players names with pride. I have loved Dacky and Mulgrew. Charlie has been our captain and given his best. I see him as an honest pro and respect to him for still wanting to play first team football. He goes with my thanks. Non of this f off stuff. Bloke doesn't deserve that. I'd clap him back at ewood and sing about him being better than zidane one last time.

This is the kind of attitude that could have got Mowbray in trouble this season for me. I'm sure he thought Mulgrew was an 'honest pro' and 'gave his best' and that's more than likely why he started him on Saturday - look where that got us. 

The whole point of my "fuck off to Wigan" line was a response to if he's thrown his toys at being told he wasn't good enough on Saturday. He's clearly had it easy the last few years and didn't like having his nose put out of joint if that is the case, and of he's a bad influence on the dressing room then good riddance. It's a massive step for Mowbray to take this stance and I for one applaud it, fingers crossed it'll see Bennett benched on Saturday as well, though I'll believe it when I see it. 

There's no room for sentiment in football, so thanks for getting us out of League One Charlie (whilst also being part of the side that took us there) I'll reserve my "clapping ex players back at Ewood" for actual heroes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, savage90 said:

Forest sign Chema Rodriguez (CB from Spain) and Carl Jenkinson. Let's face it other teams are more advance in their thinking and setups. They have delved into Europe and signed ample cover for key areas. It's about scouting, organisation, having a plan, getting your business done early and then adding to it. We started off OK but have now failed. I've always supported Mowbray but he has proved that he isn't up to the task of moving us forward. It will be a long season. Even teams under a transfer embargo have done better.

QPR for example have signed:

Lee Wallace (LB)

Marc Pugh (LW)

Todd Kane (RB)

Geoff Cameron (DM)

Yoann Barbet (CB)

Luke Amos (DM)

Nahki Wells (ST)

and Jordan Hugill (ST), amongst others.

Under a transfer embargo!! 

I said it at the start of last season and so did Mowbray, we have to look at Europe for help, yet an advert is still out proving we can't do it. That's what last year should have been all about. Our owners and management are still holding us back from a serious promotion push.

Leeds, Bristol City, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Fulham, Stoke, Swansea, Forest, Cardiff and West Brom are miles ahead of us and will finish ahead of us. Unfortunately that is half of the league.

Take your point. But QPR arent under an embargo

6 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Jeff Stelling very pointedly last Saturday mentioned that Mowbray’s face was one of anger at Mulgrew for missing a header against Charlton. Clearly harsh words have been exchanged this week. Most unusual that the club captain leaves after one match!

So far right or for wrong, Mowbray has potted the two players he personally feels have let us down (Raya and Mulgrew) and has added a straight replacement for another - Bell- who has had far too many stinkers.

Mowbray still enthralled to Bennett's athleticism and blind to him making at least six mistakes every game. Much as I'd like to see Nyambe in there, he too always has a mistake in him but obviously Bennett's all round action man gets him the nod.

The only rational explanations to lack of action filling our other gaps:

- we have a non-contract player or two (Lynch, Rodwell?) in sight and on the cusp of signing

- more interestingly, we have more youngsters ready for first team cover duties and capable of stepping up when there are injuries and suspensions if we ever have it in us to foul an opponent (Rankin-Costello, Grayson and Hart?). IF that is the case, the unwillingness to be legged over financially makes sense.

That said we have more than our fair share of big question marks all over the park. This could go horribly wrong or unexpectedly right. More likely, we are probably rank average on the balance of probabilities but let's see... 

As for most humiliating days, they were daily in the Kean era, getting Coyle and not Warnock as our Manager,  but I doubt we can ever go lower than the Court case with our own Chairman and what was said in public that day.

I will reiterate that we are having delayed reaction from those times in the level of bile spewing going on now. We would have been ecstatic to have had Mowbray and a window like we have just had at any time 2011, 2012, 2013 and pretty happy 2014-2017 too.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 4

Right, new day, transfer window is done, for my own sanity I'm going to try and focus on the positives. 

Johnson and Cunningham both quality signings, definately improve our first 11 and Gallagher gives us more options up front. Hopefully Tosin lives up to expectations and shows City why he should be ahead of Stones and Otamendi. Although Walton isn't ours he's no worse than Raya. I was speaking to my mate is a die hard Wiganer and he said the exact same things about Walton as we did about Raya, flaps on crosses, doesn't command his area and preferred they brought in someone with more experience (which they did). Time will tell if we're better or worse off but on face value it's much the same. On face value the first 11 should be better than last season, you would hope the experience of Cunny, Johnson and Downing would count for something. All we need is the manager to do now is pick our best 11 (with Rothwell) , stay away from a microphone and hope we stay injury free at the back. Take something away from Fulham and a half decent defensive performance would boost confidence and the general mood. A decent free signing or two would be ideal to just ease some nerves, someone like Lynch on low wages wouldn't be bad to help squad numbers but Vorm and Neustadter would be ideal, I hope we're still looking, hope Sharpe can find out if we'll be looking at free agents. All in all I'd say the window has been a 6/10, maybe better or worse dependant on how Tosin performs. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 7

Just now, Neal said:

Right, new day, transfer window is done, for my own sanity I'm going to try and focus on the positives. 

Johnson and Cunningham both quality signings and definately improve our first 11 abd Gallagher gives us more options up front. Hopefully Tosin lives up to expectations and shows City why he should be ahead of Stones and Otamendi. Although Walton isn't ours he's no worse than Raya. I was speaking to my mate is a die hard Wiganer and he said the exact same things about Walton as we did about Raya, flaps on crosses and doesn't command his area and preferred they brought in someone with more experience (which they did). Time will tell if we're better or worse off but on face value it's much the same. On face value the first 11 should be better than last season, you would hope the experience of Cunny, Johnson and Downing would count for something. All we need the manager to do now is pick our best 11, stsy away from a microphone and hope we stay injury free at the back. Take something away from Fulham and a half decent performance would boost confidence and the general mood. A decent free signing or two would be ideal to just ease some nerves, someone like Lynch on low wages wouldn't be bad to help squad numbers but Vorm and Neustadterwould be ideal, I hope we're still looking, hope Sharpe can find out if we'll be looking at free agents. All in all I'd say the window has been a 6/10, maybe better or worse dependant on how Tosin performs. 

I predict Tosin will start against Fulham ?