Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

For me, at this point, I don’t see what he can do that’s going to appease everybody. 

Whoever he signs, it’s going to divide opinion. Besides Dack, I can’t remember a signing TM has made where at least someone hasn’t had something negative to say about it.

The saving grace is, no matter what, this current squad could easily do better next year than this, with no additions at all. We wouldn’t go down with this team, and likely not up either - so whatever he does add, it can only be positive for me.

Sometimes I worry we expect too much - and I think TM doesn’t help by getting people’s hopes up. The best teams in this league are never the teams who spend big (ignoring Wolves who did more than just spend a few million) it’s almost always the teams you don’t expect.

 

In terms of additions, I think:

Raya,

Nyambe, Lenihan, New, New

New, Travis

Rothwell, Dack, Chapman

New

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

 

Raya,

Nyambe, Lenihan, New, New

New, Travis

Rothwell, Dack, Chapman

New

There is no way Bennett won't be in the team somewhere.

Probably at right back or right midfield is my guess.

Edited by MarkBRFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to read in the LET that there might be swap deals.

Putting two and two together from players we've been linked with and likely departures, I'd guess that could be with Rotherham. Smallwood for Vaulks. Would be happy with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't just by half a new team never mind expecting them to gel straight away especially when we have a gaffer who often makes basic things confusing.

Let's be honest most of the established ones and some of who a lot of us feel are constant weak links will be in the starting 11 come the first game of next season, we are tied to them and they are tied to us. Best we can hope for is a couple of astute additions for cash (similar to last season where IMO 1 was astute and 1 wasn't at that juncture) that'll mean they've invested c 10 million again.

Add in a couple of astute loans ( again last season 1 really really was and 1 really really wasn't )  then the inevitable low cost couple of back up players as is the norm these days.

That along with some sensible deadwood pruning and hopefully loan out a few and we should be in decent shape for next season, oh and stick hold of our good ones !

Plus pray upon pray that the manager adopts a more robust style, settled side and for gods sake square pegs in square holes where possible. But stop this pipe dreaming it'll only end in disappointment we all know that deep in our minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah have to agree with the above.

For instance I don't think we'll look at full backs this summer,  I think TM will persevere with Nyambe/Bennett for RB and Bell with Williams as cover for LB.

Pretty obvious that we'll be looking for a CH, and I think we'll be looking to get a CM in too as it seems that Smallwood has finally dropped quite far down the pecking order.

Seems like a GK will be coming in too, I imagine this will be a free transfer and "experienced".

I'm not convinced that TM will be bringing in a CF to go straight into the team either, I think Graham will still feature a lot next season, and with Brereton, Armstrong and also Samuel coming back into the fold I think we might go until January with what we have.

TM loves a number 10/Wide Striker too so I could see him maybe bringing in another one of those, because.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

There is no way Bennett won't be in the team somewhere.

Probably at right back or right midfield is my guess.

 

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

For me, at this point, I don’t see what he can do that’s going to appease everybody. 

Whoever he signs, it’s going to divide opinion. Besides Dack, I can’t remember a signing TM has made where at least someone hasn’t had something negative to say about it.

The saving grace is, no matter what, this current squad could easily do better next year than this, with no additions at all. We wouldn’t go down with this team, and likely not up either - so whatever he does add, it can only be positive for me.

Sometimes I worry we expect too much - and I think TM doesn’t help by getting people’s hopes up. The best teams in this league are never the teams who spend big (ignoring Wolves who did more than just spend a few million) it’s almost always the teams you don’t expect.

 

In terms of additions, I think:

Raya,

Nyambe, Lenihan, New, New

New, Travis

Rothwell, Dack, Chapman

New

I agree with all bar the new forward. Personally I would be starting Brereton with Graham on the bench for if we need to change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need:

1. Center back

2. Left back

3. Central midfielder

4. Striker

5. Winger (if/when Chapman gets injured, we'll be back to not having any proper wingers in the squad)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rigger said:

 

I agree with all bar the new forward. Personally I would be starting Brereton with Graham on the bench for if we need to change. 

What can you possibly have seen in Brereton to be willing to go into a new season without any new strikers, and also with him above our player of the season in the pecking order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rigger said:

 

I agree with all bar the new forward. Personally I would be starting Brereton with Graham on the bench for if we need to change. 

Completely disagree, our striker options for next season should be Brereton Graham and a new signing. Preferably the new signing will be someone who goes straight into the first team leaving Brereton and Graham as different options from the bench. How can you justify starting Brereton next season, unless he turns into 2007 Benni McCarthy in the summer it’s a no from me. He’s not ready yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

What can you possibly have seen in Brereton to be willing to go into a new season without any new strikers, and also with him above our player of the season in the pecking order?

Because I am a realist and looking to the future we have to hope that Brereton works. We are not in a position anymore where we can just write off big money signings 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The narrative will be that Chapman, Davenport, Samuel and even Rothwell are effectively new signings going into next season.

We don't know that any are good enough for where we want to be and I include Rothwell in that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

The narrative will be that Chapman, Davenport, Samuel and even Rothwell are effectively new signings going into next season.

We don't know that any are good enough for where we want to be and I include Rothwell in that.

By the same token we don’t know that they’re not good enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

By the same token we don’t know that they’re not good enough 

Bit of a gamble to take when the manager is talking about promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Bit of a gamble to take when the manager is talking about promotion.

The manager is talking of promotion on the back of comments about signing new players. He's already signed those. You've claimed it's a gamble doing something that he hasn't even done yet.

If the narrative is that they are "effectively new signings" at the end of the window, and if we don't sign anyone of note, then you can criticise him. Until then it's just conjecture and you should take him at face value really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rigger said:

Because I am a realist and looking to the future we have to hope that Brereton works. We are not in a position anymore where we can just write off big money signings 

Ive not doubted that, nor have I suggested that we right him off. But ultimately, the primary objective is to get results and as it stands, Danny Graham up front is more likely to achieve that. Not having him as first choice striker does not mean writing him off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Ive not doubted that, nor have I suggested that we right him off. But ultimately, the primary objective is to get results and as it stands, Danny Graham up front is more likely to achieve that. Not having him as first choice striker does not mean writing him off.

Graham was great last season but it seemed at times that the Team played better football when there were more options than a long ball down the middle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JHRover said:

 

We don't know that any are good enough for where we want to be and I include Rothwell in that.

You must be joking.

You don't know if Rothwell is good enough for a starting place in the Rovers side next year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rigger said:

Graham was great last season but it seemed at times that the Team played better football when there were more options than a long ball down the middle 

I would suggest that Graham is better technically than Brereton. Ultimately, it came down to the players behind him and of course the manager as to why we chose to predominantly hoof the ball up to him. Graham played an important role in the Derby, Forest and QPR wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

You must be joking.

You don't know if Rothwell is good enough for a starting place in the Rovers side next year? 

2 goals and 1 assist over the season. That's the measure I'll be going off. Makes me laugh when people compare him to Dack in importance. Nowhere near at this stage. There's promise there though.

In comparison to the rest of our midfielders I suppose that return is good but for a team with ambitions of promotion it isn't.

Either he will have to up that return or we will have to do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeHarvey said:

For me, at this point, I don’t see what he can do that’s going to appease everybody. 

Whoever he signs, it’s going to divide opinion. Besides Dack, I can’t remember a signing TM has made where at least someone hasn’t had something negative to say about it.

The saving grace is, no matter what, this current squad could easily do better next year than this, with no additions at all. We wouldn’t go down with this team, and likely not up either - so whatever he does add, it can only be positive for me.

Sometimes I worry we expect too much - and I think TM doesn’t help by getting people’s hopes up. The best teams in this league are never the teams who spend big (ignoring Wolves who did more than just spend a few million) it’s almost always the teams you don’t expect.

 

In terms of additions, I think:

Raya,

Nyambe, Lenihan, New, New

New, Travis

Rothwell, Dack, Chapman

New

I agree with your proposed side for next season  but I strongly disagree with your assertion that without additions the current squad would go neither up nor down and might improve. I think without significant strengthening we'd be strong favourites to go down.

Absolute musts for me are new CH, new CM, new main striker, and we also need to avoid losing Travis by getting him signed up to a proper senior contract. If we get all that and the new additions are good enough we can probably hope to finish better than last season's 15th position.

In an ideal world after that if we're really serious about improving we could probably do with a specialist left back, another quality winger/wide man and a back up keeper.

So for me an absolute minimum of four players to come in who will go straight into the first eleven and improve it. Should have happened last summer but didn't. Anyone actually fancy Mowbray to do that this time round or will it be another summer of tinkering about around the edges "to help the ones we've got?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

Edited by JHRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would suggest that Graham is better technically than Brereton. Ultimately, it came down to the players behind him and of course the manager as to why we chose to predominantly hoof the ball up to him. Graham played an important role in the Derby, Forest and QPR wins.

If we're serious about improving Graham needs to be at most a back up option off the bench next season.

I suspect however that due to the manager's loyalty to the player and the fact that top strikers are horrendously expensive that's a change which won't be made and we'll attempt to make do and mend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

That suggests no new keeper....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

Leutwiler 1 year extension activated....taken up by the club...

Talks ongoing with Conway, Gladwin and Rodwell....

Downing on his way....

JFHC.

There shouldn't even be a second's hesitation in discarding the first three.

Can't see Rodwell wanting to stay for the amount of game time he's had this season.

Downing is one I wouldn't mind us keeping as back up in an ideal world but if he's off then we need to look at bringing Wharton back into the fold and have him and Magloire challenging Lenihan and a new CH for the central defensive spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

That suggests no new keeper....

It maybe suggests a cheap or young 3rd choice to supposedly put pressure on the other two.

I like Mowbray and back him but the longer he's here the more he seems to be becoming an i'll tell them what they like to hear manager whilst having different plans of his own altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.