Jump to content
Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Recommended Posts

It seems quite logical to me. He’s told the players where they stand in his mind. So they know where he’s looking to strengthen and whether they’re likely to play or not. 

He’s in no rush to have a ‘mass clearout’ because as Parsons said, he’s building to get out of this league and so for example, Leutweiler will now sit behind Raya and the new keeper to give us depth. Fisher will be allowed out on loan.

This approach is reasonable as long as you have the budget (which he’s asked for). Managers can force contracted players out by treating them unreasonably (making them train with the reserves, come in on their day off etc) but this causes animosity amongst the lads.

If he’s been transparent then the group will accept the changes. Maintaining the team spirit is as important as improving the players. 

My feeling is that 2/3 running out of contract will go elsewhere and a couple of the contracted players will seek moves too when they realise they aren’t going to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It seems quite logical to me. He’s told the players where they stand in his mind. So they know where he’s looking to strengthen and whether they’re likely to play or not. 

He’s in no rush to have a ‘mass clearout’ because as Parsons said, he’s building to get out of this league and so for example, Leutweiler will now sit behind Raya and the new keeper to give us depth. Fisher will be allowed out on loan.

This approach is reasonable as long as you have the budget (which he’s asked for). Managers can force contracted players out by treating them unreasonably (making them train with the reserves, come in on their day off etc) but this causes animosity amongst the lads.

If he’s been transparent then the group will accept the changes. Maintaining the team spirit is as important as improving the players. 

My feeling is that 2/3 running out of contract will go elsewhere and a couple of the contracted players will seek moves too when they realise they aren’t going to play.

Building to get out of this league is fine but doesn't involve keeping people who have shown they aren't up to it or are so injury stricken that they haven't played a single minute in 18 months. Building to get promotion means you methodically replace and phase out the above with superior players whenever the opportunity arises.

Early days yet and I'm still hopeful Mowbray is playing games without seriously intending on keeping these players. But his comments especially on Gladwin are very strange for a club supposedly restricted on finances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He’s explained it at least five times that I’ve read or listened to: contracts will be honoured, ergo no-one on a contract will be forced out. There never was going to be a mass clear-out.

Conway and Gladwin's contracts were honoured, they had expired. There was no need to renew them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-Hod said:

Conway and Gladwin's contracts were honoured, they had expired. There was no need to renew them.

Most players contracts run June 30th annually, hence why some run their contracts to get 3/4 weeks severance and move late July/August.

If there’s nobody coming in yet because (according to the general consensus) we don’t know budget - why burn the bridges of Conway, Rodwell et al?

Edit - Gladwin a more weird one, but surely not expensive when he signed on league one terms + has no argument for a bonus, and if TM still thinks there’s a player, it’s hardly a massive decision.

Edited by Biz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Building to get out of this league is fine but doesn't involve keeping people who have shown they aren't up to it or are so injury stricken that they haven't played a single minute in 18 months. Building to get promotion means you methodically replace and phase out the above with superior players whenever the opportunity arises.

Early days yet and I'm still hopeful Mowbray is playing games without seriously intending on keeping these players. But his comments especially on Gladwin are very strange for a club supposedly restricted on finances.

This is absolutely what I believe he’s doing. Rodwell and Conway have shown that they can come in and do a decent job. If he’s negotiating with them it’s to be back up players to matchday squad on less money from what I can see. This is why I fully expect at least one of those two to go elsewhere. 

Gladwin is an odd one from the outside. I’m not sure what the thought is on him. They must think there’s a player in there somewhere that is good enough to make an impact at the right price. Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.

As for the contracted players, my feeling is that they will wait and force a move late on based on players who’ve been signed in their position. 

The key here surely is to improve quality, depth AND maintain the fighting spirit and morale that they have. I don’t think he’s done anything to the contrary in the last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gladwin leave the club over the next 6 months. He hasn't done enough to earn a deal and Mowbray was brave enough to stick Rodwell on a year long deal because of attitude/fitness problems. Gladwin epitomises those and is clearly not as good as Rodwell so why would Mowbray give him a decent deal? We can only judge TM on what he has done at this club and he certainly hasn't sold the club down the river yet.

As much as people moaned about deals to Smallwood or Mulgrew (in hindsight mind you) he's been pretty sensible in terms of dishing out contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t get too angry over the Gladwin situation, it seems that he’s going to be allowed to continue his rehab here on what I can imagine is minimal money and once he’s got himself back fit he’ll be able to find himself another club. He’s not going too be given a 3 year deal I wouldn’t worry about that 🤣

Edited by Butty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

This is absolutely what I believe he’s doing. Rodwell and Conway have shown that they can come in and do a decent job. If he’s negotiating with them it’s to be back up players to matchday squad on less money from what I can see. This is why I fully expect at least one of those two to go elsewhere. 

Gladwin is an odd one from the outside. I’m not sure what the thought is on him. They must think there’s a player in there somewhere that is good enough to make an impact at the right price. Again, I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.

As for the contracted players, my feeling is that they will wait and force a move late on based on players who’ve been signed in their position. 

The key here surely is to improve quality, depth AND maintain the fighting spirit and morale that they have. I don’t think he’s done anything to the contrary in the last week.

They were back up players last season. He isn't progressing or building if all that happens is we keep the same players out of a sense of loyalty, unless we keep them AND add even better ones which I find unlikely given the financial talk.

Until I read Mowbray's comments on Gladwin in the Telegraph I suspected that Mowbray was playing some sort of game with that one. In telling everyone he's in discussions over a new deal it might strengthen Gladwin's wage demands with other clubs or even encourage an interested side to offer us some cash to 'step aside' and let them sign him. But his comments suggest more that he feels a sense of responsibility or loyalty to the player after his injuries and that he'll be staying so he can try and get fit and earn himself a longer deal.

Worth remembering that the only player to get a new deal is Leutwiler so far, so not the end of the world but again, improving the GK position is relatively high up on the list of things we need to do so it doesn't bode well if the first step we take is to hand out a new deal to him. I can't see Raya being sold and I expect that will be our lot on the GK front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he's also said is he's looking for experience to add to Graham, Mulgrew, Evans  etc which pretty much confirms he's building round them not replacing them, for those still thinking that will happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Lad, if we keep re-signing shite we won't be able to sign anyone good. 

I take that, but Mowbray has said even some under contract could leave. 

The Gladwin one is odd, but it would be bad form to release a lad who has been injured for years onto the scrapheap with no chance of finding a club. If it was another player, no one would be making an issue of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

What he's also said is he's looking for experience to add to Graham, Mulgrew, Evans  etc which pretty much confirms he's building round them not replacing them, for those still thinking that will happen.

 

No it doesn't.

Edited by rigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I take that, but Mowbray has said even some under contract could leave. 

The Gladwin one is odd, but it would be bad form to release a lad who has been injured for years onto the scrapheap with no chance of finding a club. If it was another player, no one would be making an issue of this. 

Didn't Arsenal just release Welbeck after spending the season injured?

He's had the best medical care whilst under contract, but now it's time to move on, he can't have any complaints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I take that, but Mowbray has said even some under contract could leave. 

The Gladwin one is odd, but it would be bad form to release a lad who has been injured for years onto the scrapheap with no chance of finding a club. If it was another player, no one would be making an issue of this. 

Hmmm. Two ways of looking at it really. On the one side Gladwin has had a hell of a lot of money out of Rovers whilst also benefiting from excellent facilities to try and get through his rehab. A 2 year deal even at 4k a week is worth way more than most people could ever dream of being paid, never mind for little in return other than trying to get fit.

On the other side I can see the human element. Of course it isn't nice to chuck an injured player onto the 'scrapheap'.

But this is a business. People on a lot less money than Gladwin have been made redundant from Rovers and other football clubs. People who aren't loaded. Waggott and Cheston wail about low incomes and the need to generate revenue yet we're on about using up a salary to give him more time to get fit?

The question though it whether he is good enough when fit. I don't believe he is if we are serious about moving upwards and progressing. On that basis the injury issue almost becomes irrelevant. If he isn't deemed good enough for what we need then he shouldn't be retained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I take that, but Mowbray has said even some under contract could leave. 

The Gladwin one is odd, but it would be bad form to release a lad who has been injured for years onto the scrapheap with no chance of finding a club. If it was another player, no one would be making an issue of this. 

Why would it be bad form? If my work don’t need me anymore I get redundancy or if I’m contracting it’s ended within a week or two. Why should this not be the same? He’s been paid handsomely for sitting back injured, he’s also to my knowledge not exactly helped other areas of the club. Whilst Injured in any attempt to earn his corn.

It’s football it’s business and there’s no room for any sentiment. Try telling staff at Bolton the sentiment issue whilst they are not paid anything like a footballers wage and end up on donated food banks.

On Gladwin I don’t actually believe he’s been as injured as much as he has, he’s obviously some personal issue and maybe a mix of injuries but no one has heard a peep on him let alone the LET doing any interview with the lad on his health progress

Edited by Scotland1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rigger said:

No it doesn't.

I'll stake you a tenner here and now that barring injuries Mulgrew and Evans are in the starting line up first game next season ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Didn't Arsenal just release Welbeck after spending the season injured?

He's had the best medical care whilst under contract, but now it's time to move on, he can't have any complaints.

Welbeck is an English international who won't have issues finding a new club. It's not comparable to Gladwin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tomphil said:

I'll stake you a tenner here and now that barring injuries Mulgrew and Evans are in the starting line up first game next season ...

Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Scotland1 said:

Why would it be bad form? If my work don’t need me anymore I get redundancy or if I’m contracting it’s ended within a week or two. Why should this not be the same? He’s been paid handsomely for sitting back injured, he’s also to my knowledge not exactly helped other areas of the club. Whilst Injured in any attempt to earn his corn.

It’s football it’s business and there’s no room for any sentiment. Try telling staff at Bolton the sentiment issue whilst they are not paid anything like a footballers wage and end up on donated food banks.

On Gladwin I don’t actually believe he’s been as injured as much as he has, he’s obviously some personal issue and maybe a mix of injuries but no one has heard a peep on him let alone the LET doing any interview with the lad on his health progress

We have no idea what the terms are/will be. If you were off work with a back injury and your work just let you go, would you say it was bad form? Now if they supported you back from said injury, do you think that would be a nice to do? 

Yes, it's a business , but why not do the decent thing? Obviously the Bolton staff should be paid, it's bad form that they aren't and that's not a good thing.

Well, again we don't know that. He could have severe depression for all we know. 

Lets say he gets £1000 a week til January, that's £16,000. It's peanuts in the grand scheme of things and I don't see why people are freaking out about it. Pure silly season stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have no idea what the terms are/will be. If you were off work with a back injury and your work just let you go, would you say it was bad form? Now if they supported you back from said injury, do you think that would be a nice to do? 

Yes, it's a business , but why not do the decent thing? Obviously the Bolton staff should be paid, it's bad form that they aren't and that's not a good thing.

Well, again we don't know that. He could have severe depression for all we know. 

Lets say he gets £1000 a week til January, that's £16,000. It's peanuts in the grand scheme of things and I don't see why people are freaking out about it. Pure silly season stuff. 

 

If I picked up an injury that prevented me from being able to do my job between now and Christmas 2020, yet I still received full salary and benefits between then and now, I would not expect my employer to offer to keep me on any longer than they had to. I would understand that 18 months of full pay and benefits was more than honourable and that my employer didn't owe me any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

If I picked up an injury that prevented me from being able to do my job between now and Christmas 2020, yet I still received full salary and benefits between then and now, I would not expect my employer to offer to keep me on any longer than they had to. I would understand that 18 months of full pay and benefits was more than honourable and that my employer didn't owe me any more.

Fair enough you wouldn't expect them to, but it would be nice if they did, no? I would imagine it would leave the company with one loyal employee. 

I have worked in HR for over 10 years, both in both Irish and multi-national companies. The multi-nationals are ruthless and would have someone out the door, Irish companies would be more likely to support the persons return. Either way, you need to make sure your ducks are in line so as not to be opened up the legal proceedings, if the person is depressed for example. I don't see why a football club shouldn't try and do the right thing by a person, particularly a family club and the fact it will cost peanuts. 

The leaps some are making in linking this decent gesture to what our budget will be is just mad stuff really. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

He isn't good enough for this league....how on earth is that burning bridges?

Not good enough to start every week for a team that goes up. Can still contribute as a squaddie and good influence on a young squad imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not good enough to start every week for a team that goes up. Can still contribute as a squaddie and good influence on a young squad imo. 

If that's what Tony's told him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.