BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

16 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I applaud the club's decision to give Gladwin some security over the next six months to get his life and career back on track. He's had an horrendous two years and that must take it's toll mentally and physically. I don't think for one second this is about giving him a chance to get into our team, it's about doing right by the player. He's unlikely to play again until 2020 so that would be many months without any income for a player who I doubt has earnt that much during his career so far. Give him a chance to get fit and play some U23 games on a very low wage and hopefully he can get himself noticed by another club. If we don't do that then his football career is potentially over. I think it would be different if it was a player like Rodwell who has millions in the bank, but this is a player who has predominantly played in the lower leagues all his career. 

Lot of assumptions on contract length and wages there.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

If we think something is a ‘comical over reaction’ or ‘hysterical’, can we explain why please? Instead of simply saying so without any meat on the bones?

Surely, it can’t be that hard...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

This is purely one-way - to help out Gladwin and see how he's doing in January, with potentially another deal on the table. On evidence so far, he's not good enough for the first team - a "lummox" as @jim mk2 once called him (and I don't think he's far wrong).

Not sure I said that as I can't recall seeing Gladwin play but I'll take your word for it!

Just now, K-Hod said:

If we think something is a ‘comical over reaction’ or ‘hysterical’, can we explain why please? Instead of simply saying so without any meat on the bones?

Surely, it can’t be that hard...

...... Gladwin shouldn't be given a contract he should be nailed to a stake and stuck up Darwen Moor so the crows can peck his eyeballs out and locals can pelt him with out of date Leavers pies...  

Said no one ever but they might as well do such is the reaction to non existent hysterics which in reality are just the usual opinions on another odd decision and very underwhelming player.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

...... Gladwin shouldn't be given a contract he should be nailed to a stake and stuck up Darwen Moor so the crows can peck his eyeballs out and locals can pelt him with out of date Leavers pies...  

Said no one ever but they might as well do such is the reaction to non existent hysterics which in reality are just the usual opinions on another odd decision and very underwhelming player.

Hahaha

• Like 1

I suspect Gladwin wasn't 'given' a new contract, there are usually injury stipulations written into footballers contract with respect to medical care and salary payments when injured. The club are obliged under football league rules to pay the player a full salary for 18 months when injured on club duty and 50% salary for any remaining rehab time after that.  How individual contracts play into this I'm not sure. As horrible as it is to suggest, there may also be an insurance payout to consider if the injury is career ending.

I suspect the club can't release Gladwin, will still have some sort of liability if they do or could no longer collect an insurance payout if he is out of contract. Like others I see little or no chance of him breaking through, so this short term deal (6 months) is about other factors in my opinion. TM is probably just spinning it.

Edited by OscarRaven
  • Like 3

He could very well have the option of another year written in like a lot seem to have at Ewood these days and often it stipulates so many mins playing time to trigger that option. In the event of not being able to play through injury they might have to find a way to let him get fit first and have those mins or be liable to some kind of release fee to compensate for it.

As with anything in football there is always a price and players very rarely come to the end of their contracts and walk away with nothing even if it's only a month or twos severance pay. This lad was signed from QPR who used to chuck daft money about and themselves were being milked by agents because of clueless ownership so he'll have been on an average championship wage probably at Rovers which will amount to a decent wedge.  If he's blown it all it's his problem otherwise he should still be able to eat.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mogga: "Moving to Rovers, to a different country, it’s a big decision for every foreign player. The wife needs to get a new job, the kids need to get into a  new school, there may be a language barrier as well."

We really have tightened up the coffers!

Dacks missus can do the rub downs

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Blackburn Looking For Swap Deal In Pursuit Of Rotherham Star Man - 90min by Joe Harvey

Potential swap deal for Will Vaulks, with Richie Smallwood going the other way. Looking at Vaulks's record, he's billed as a defensive midfielder, and scored 8 goals this season, and 8 goals the season before. If we're looking to improve our midfield goal-scoring tally...

A Number of EFL Clubs Chasing Blackburn Defender90min by Joe Harvey

Regarding Sam Hart. Sounds like he should be off to a lower league this summer. Didn't realise we paid £200K for him; thought we got him on a free.

Just so I understand this correctly, Joe Harvey who posts on here speculates what might happen and then posts unqualified and unendorsed articles on another site which make these look more credible - and then the links get posted back on here?

Echo chamber much?

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I think they are well-written summaries. Even if the speculation or information is taken from here and other sources, that's what journalism is all about; collating information.

So Joe Harvey is a journalist? Interesting if so as he may have good contacts in the industry. I assumed he was a blogger.

It’d be good though if these well written summaries were as posts on here, rather than click bait to give 90mins some unearned traffic.

“Make BRFCS Great Again”

20 hours ago, Biz said:

People said the same about Conway 12 months ago, and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he’ll go on to do some coaching here - has always been an exemplary professional, I can only see it as a negative if we don’t add to the squad.

I said the same about Conway 12 months ago and given his lack of impact this season I feel vindicated. A good player in his day but he's 34 now and well past his best, he could still perhaps do it in League 1 or 2 but for a side with any ambition in the Championship he isn't near up to standard.  

Blackburn Looking For Swap Deal In Pursuit Of Rotherham Star Man - 90min by Joe Harvey

Potential swap deal for Will Vaulks, with Richie Smallwood going the other way. Looking at Vaulks's record, he's billed as a defensive midfielder, and scored 8 goals this season, and 8 goals the season before. If we're looking to improve our midfield goal-scoring tally...

And a long throw as well, it's might not be pretty but it can be very effective. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Same applies to bloggers. I don't know if Joe is a journalist or not. Just posting links to what I thought were reasonable summaries.

It’s good that you posted who it was by though. Help with credibility.

I’m sure there are loads of folk on here who can write well written summaries but when there is an external link to a news site I like to know that there is some substance behind it.

I dismiss any links to HITC for exactly that reason.

Gladwin has suffered a string of knee injuries ever since he's been here. Lately, he suffered a setback in his rehabilitation, meaning he probably won't be training with the first team in pre-season. In short, he'll be lucky to be in contention for the first-team before the year is out.

This is purely one-way - to help out Gladwin and see how he's doing in January, with potentially another deal on the table. On evidence so far, he's not good enough for the first team - a "lummox" as @jim mk2 once called him (and I don't think he's far wrong).

I think it's easy for Rovers as a "family" club to be a bit of a comfort zone; things done in the name of good, but not necessarily of any benefit to our progression. There's been some discussion in another topic about how Villa are "cheats" and a horrible team. That would be the Villa that are in the play-off final. Leeds did all that evil spygate stuff and brought in a number of players from their Spanish scouting network. That would be the Leeds that got comfortably into the play-offs after years of not a whole lot of anything.

We have to become ruthless and think ONLY about winning as a club mentality - stop being nice, and become the club that puts winning first and foremost, rather than being human. Being human will get us nowhere in this fast-moving game, especially if we want promotion. Stop "giving chances" to players for the sake of it, and bring in better ones if they're available.

Let's hope that's what Mowbray does this summer, and Gladwin stays as a forgotten man.

What a load of bloody old horseshit! The lad doesn't deserve all that crap. Whatever happens regarding his contract will not cost the club a penny. Believe me his insurance will be picking up whatever that tab is. Blackburn Rovers have to be above being  "ruthless" and "ONLY about winning". Take that route if you want but the club will be dead. Whatever happened to looking after the 'family'. You sound like someone who would be one of Thatchers favourites from the 80s. All me,me,me and more me and sod everyone else. "Bottle of your finest wine my man and be quick about it"

Answer from today? Get your own u knob!

• Like 1

So if it isn’t costing the club a penny, the club doesn’t need to be ruthless and by the same token isn’t acting altruistically either.

So, what are you ranting about?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

They'll give Gladwin 6 months and then he'll move on in the January Transfer Window, or if they think they can get a small amount for him they'll give him a year and try and sell him in January.

4 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I applaud the club's decision to give Gladwin some security over the next six months to get his life and career back on track. He's had an horrendous two years and that must take it's toll mentally and physically. I don't think for one second this is about giving him a chance to get into our team, it's about doing right by the player. He's unlikely to play again until 2020 so that would be many months without any income for a player who I doubt has earnt that much during his career so far. Give him a chance to get fit and play some U23 games on a very low wage and hopefully he can get himself noticed by another club. If we don't do that then his football career is potentially over. I think it would be different if it was a player like Rodwell who has millions in the bank, but this is a player who has predominantly played in the lower leagues all his career. 

He'd have been on a minimum of 5k a week for the past 2 years. Hardly the breadline ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ossyian said:

What a load of bloody old horseshit! The lad doesn't deserve all that crap. Whatever happens regarding his contract will not cost the club a penny. Believe me his insurance will be picking up whatever that tab is. Blackburn Rovers have to be above being  "ruthless" and "ONLY about winning". Take that route if you want but the club will be dead. Whatever happened to looking after the 'family'. You sound like someone who would be one of Thatchers favourites from the 80s. All me,me,me and more me and sod everyone else. "Bottle of your finest wine my man and be quick about it"

Answer from today? Get your own u knob!

Are you saying that his wages are/were/will be covered by insurance?

If so I have never heard of that before. I know insurance claims can be made when a player has to retire through injury - is that what you are implying?

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Are you saying that his wages are/were/will be covered by insurance?

If so I have never heard of that before. I know insurance claims can be made when a player has to retire through injury - is that what you are implying?

Yes insurance pays for players wages for all injuries regardless of the length of the injury. This is funded by all players having a portion of their wages paid into the policy when they are not injured

Just now, ossyian said:

Yes. Insurance pays players wages for any injury for any length of time. A portion of all players wages when they are not injured are paid into this policy to fund it.

And you know that for sure?

So why did the club not get paid out in the well documented court case years ago when Martin Dahlin hardly kicked a ball for us and subsequently retired?

If arbitro (who has worked in the game for years) has not heard of this arrangement your statement sounds a bit sketchy to me.

Just now, ossyian said:

Yes. Insurance pays players wages for any injury for any length of time. A portion of all players wages when they are not injured are paid into this policy to fund it.

I've never heard of that before. To be clear does the player have to pay out of his own wages or does the club pay for the insurance you mention.

Just now, arbitro said:

I've never heard of that before. To be clear does the player have to pay out of his own wages or does the club pay for the insurance you mention.

A portion of players wages are deducted to pay into the policy

Just now, ossyian said:

I have worked in insurance for 30 years dealing with this amongst many other trades and businesses. So no I beg to differ. It is not sketchy at all

So how do you deal with , say, a dead leg that keeps someone out for a week, or a back strain? You must be inundated with claims?