BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
42 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rotherham don’t want Smallwood. Vaulks is a potential but more likely to go to Sheff Wed who are more keen.

@Sparks Rover how’s the Whitman thing going?

Can't imagine why not.....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Source?

Just now, K-Hod said:

Can't imagine why not.....

Apparently, plays like the ‘crab’ and they like to ‘get it forward’...also referred to as a ‘strange lad’ (I don’t know why) still lives in Rotherham though.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rotherham don’t want Smallwood. Vaulks is a potential but more likely to go to Sheff Wed who are more keen.

More like Sheffield Wednesday are ahead of us in the process and are in a position to crack on with negotiations whilst our senior management team don't know what the score is and have to get back from India before the button can be pressed.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Paul Mani said:

Apparently, plays like the ‘crab’ and they like to ‘get it forward’...also referred to as a ‘strange lad’ (I don’t know why) still lives in Rotherham though.

They've good memories then!

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

Me neither since he was a big part of our league one success.

To be honest I was surprised. I thought they’d be snapping our head off to get him back. Stranger things have happened and it ticks a lot of boxes. But that was direct..

Just now, JHRover said:

More like Sheffield Wednesday are ahead of us in the process and are in a position to crack on with negotiations whilst our senior management team don't know what the score is and have to get back from India before the button can be pressed.

Sheff Wed going harder. Not great technically apparently? Great engine, lad and leader....maybe we don’t really fancy him as TM said we want technical players in their.

He reckons TM really likes Ajayi. Talked about him constantly after both games with Rotherham management team.

He also said the keeper they had from Fulham on loan is fantastic and well worth a look at for us.

• Like 1

Interesting how other fans/clubs view players. In L1 Richie, well backed by Rovers fans (how many current players have their own song?) he was excellent.

In the Championship it’s beyond him physically - both strength and speed.

Yet a League One side, also not good enough for the second tier, don’t want him while Rovers fans continue to make allowances.

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

I didn't want to talk about Gladwin much longer, but since you deduced me down to a Thatcherite...

I take it you missed the bit where I said that Gladwin's wage could be better-used by employing a number of staff down at Ewood that could do a job for the club - you know? Those staff that got culled two years ago? Let me know what is Thatcherite about letting one rich person's contract expire and redistributing that money to five (for example) people who are in greater need of it and could actually do something for the club.

I don't blame Gladwin one bit - I'm sure he is doing what he can to get back to fitness. And if the club offer him a new contract, then that's on the club and not Gladwin. But by the time he's fit again, it'll be 2.5 years before he's going to be in proper contention for the first-team. Mowbray has said that it isn't a footballing decision to give him a new contract, by which I think he means it's a humane decision. So back to the above bit... Why should he get special treatment, and a greater number of people who turned up to do their jobs every day be quietly given the boot?

And don't call me a Corbynite in your next post, either.

Always could use the money on 10 youngsters that can develop

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Ok, Ben's been in this week for talks, he's with donny tonight, but I know Hull and Pompey are also interested.  Obviously Pompey are not getting promoted so that leaves us and hull. Only thing is, he's worked with Nigel before at Sheff Utd, and gets on great.

19 hours ago, JHRover said:

We release or reject countless players over the course of a season right through the academy to the first team. Each time we turn down a 16 year old prospect or free agent it could potentially end his career or stop it before it even begins.

Not comparable and you know it 

19 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Gladwin is not even going to be in contention for first-team football due to his injury. I'm struggling to understand what merit there is in paying him to continue using our facilities for six months while he gets himself back on the road to earn a contract with another club. Give him the facilities for free, but don't pay him for the privilege!

It seems madness to pay a player any amount of money for any period of time knowing full-well that they will not be able to play.

We don't know what the terms are

18 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Fucking hell. If Gladwin's wage genuinely holds us up from signing players/has the costs associated with it to dip us into breaking FFP then I will eat my hat. Such an overreaction it is unbelievable.

Citing man power spent, time and resources, is laughable. What on earth are you lot talking about that it could be symptomatic of other problems at the club? He probably hasn't earned his spot here but the manager sees a player in there that has been hampered by horrific injuries, so feels as if another short-term deal may benefit us and him. Who in gods name do you lot think will be negotiating this SHORT TERM DEAL? The UN?

To put it another way we spent weeks upon weeks chasing Harry Chapman. He's had hamstring injury after hamstring injury. We pursued him for months and months and then finally signed him. Where was the furore then? We got an injury plagued lad and have given him a chance and most of the people here now shooting down our entire transfer window hopes based on this contract were happy to see him signed. What about the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sums of money we must have spent chasing him, acting as an intermediary between him, his agent and another club..........................

Most of us did expect Gladwin to go but he hasn't. So what? He definitely isn't on big bucks and I don't for one instance believe the time and resources being spent on this is in any way going to affect our transfer potential this summer. In fact, I dare say more cost has been occurred to companies other than BRFC in the time spent discussing this as opposed to working efficiently in the day jobs. Wow.

Well said 

35 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Interesting how other fans/clubs view players. In L1 Richie, well backed by Rovers fans (how many current players have their own song?) he was excellent.

In the Championship it’s beyond him physically - both strength and speed.

Yet a League One side, also not good enough for the second tier, don’t want him while Rovers fans continue to make allowances.

I think the reason was more around his suitability for the style of play they want to adopt. No questioning his ability to screen, work off the ball and play non penetrating passes...and it doesn’t make the management at Rotherham right either. 

For my money, Smallwood was in top 3 most effective players we had in league 1. I also don’t think clubs lauding a player and making songs up about them is exclusively based on how good they are.

Smallwood exceeded our expectations that year and he embodied the honesty, grit and determination that had been sadly lacking at our club for years. We loved him for this.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ok, Ben's been in this week for talks, he's with donny tonight, but I know Hull and Pompey are also interested.  Obviously Pompey are not getting promoted so that leaves us and hull. Only thing is, he's worked with Nigel before at Sheff Utd, and gets on great.

Yeah I get that. What type of player is he mate? Have to admit I’ve never seen him play. He very technical?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not comparable and you know it 

Really?

So there's a 16 year old kid who is still trying to make a career for himself and is in our academy but riddled with injury issues which have prevented him from having a run in the team. Do we keep him on forever with the view that it's the right thing to do and if we let him go he will struggle to get a deal elsewhere? How many players do we do it for?

56 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Sheff Wed going harder. Not great technically apparently? Great engine, lad and leader....maybe we don’t really fancy him as TM said we want technical players in their.

He reckons TM really likes Ajayi. Talked about him constantly after both games with Rotherham management team.

He also said the keeper they had from Fulham on loan is fantastic and well worth a look at for us.

They will be going harder if their manager knows his budget and has the ability to get decisions made now rather than in 2-3 weeks time. Our manager it seems is limited to scouting and tentative discussions with potential people rather than being in a position to put money on the table and get agreements in place.

Just now, JHRover said:

Really?

So there's a 16 year old kid who is still trying to make a career for himself and is in our academy but riddled with injury issues which have prevented him from having a run in the team. Do we keep him on forever with the view that it's the right thing to do and if we let him go he will struggle to get a deal elsewhere? How many players do we do it for?

You are being very silly now and have gone down a rabbit hole to try and prove a point.

The hypothetical 16 year old you speak of would never have been under contract here, so why would we offer him one? Gladwin has been here, under contract, for over 2 years trying to get fit. Not comparable

Going to leave it at that. 

Yeah I get that. What type of player is he mate? Have to admit I’ve never seen him play. He very technical?

Very technical,  brought up at utd since 8 years old. Gets forward, good passer and can score from outside the area. 

He got Managers and fans player of the season last week.....so, he's like our Graham or Lenihan to the donny fans 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think the reason was more around his suitability for the style of play they want to adopt. No questioning his ability to screen, work off the ball and play non penetrating passes...and it doesn’t make the management at Rotherham right either. 

For my money, Smallwood was in top 3 most effective players we had in league 1. I also don’t think clubs lauding a player and making songs up about them is exclusively based on how good they are.

Smallwood exceeded our expectations that year and he embodied the honesty, grit and determination that had been sadly lacking at our club for years. We loved him for this.

So which player has a song sung by his own fans about how shit he is?

”Good” is a subjective term. In football terms I view that as being very effective not necessarily their football skills. Smallwood was exactly that.

Just now, Stuart said:

”Good” is a subjective term. In football terms I view that as being very effective not necessarily their football skills. Smallwood was exactly that.

Hanley did get a song about the size of his head... ?

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I just think the song got sung once or twice and had a uniqueness about it compared to our other songs that get sung and became a bit of a gimmicky song to sing especially away. Then became habit ! Not necessarily due to Smallwood actually being a phenomenol player.

Decent in L1 ..out of his depth in the Championship.

doesn't Amari Bell have a song too ..or am I dreaming it ?

Just now, rickard said:

Hanley did get a song about the size of his head... ?

He was a good player for us though, and he wielded his large head like a fucking Mjolnir.

• Like 1