Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Think the rule is that you can play 3 over age players at any one time as well as an over age ‘keeper. 

Leutwiler in the 23’s with Raya plus one (experienced) other in the first team squad makes that Unit look a lot more capable of dealing with a promotion push, you think?

It’s a strange situation we find ourselves in. Ideally, no, I absolutely wouldn’t want Leutweiler blocking the development of a young keeper. I’d also be astonished if Mowbray has signed up Leutweiler for the development squad.

We have to accept that we have signed Leutweiler as first team number 2. Which means we are going to need a ready made Championship keeper to be signed on now. Or assume the Raya talk is just bluster and nothing will change in that area.

I just can’t see us now signing another first team keeper without Raya leaving.

Just now, TheWeasel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17650450.keeper-could-leave-rovers-despite-signing-new-deal/

So I think our pal Jason is very much a contingency if things don’t work out as Mowbray plans, possibly third choice next season or try and command small fee over the summer 

Mowbray:

Mowbray admits that Leutwiler could still leave, should he seek more regular first team football

Leutweiler:

“It means that I work hard and work well for the club, and I’m really pleased. I’ve really enjoyed these past two years.”

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a strange situation we find ourselves in. Ideally, no, I absolutely wouldn’t want Leutweiler blocking the development of a young keeper. I’d also be astonished if Mowbray has signed up Leutweiler for the development squad.

We have to accept that we have signed Leutweiler as first team number 2. Which means we are going to need a ready made Championship keeper to be signed on now. Or assume the Raya talk is just bluster and nothing will change in that area.

I just can’t see us now signing another first team keeper without Raya leaving.

Interesting. I know what you mean but I can see them wanting a more ‘ready’ made option in the 23’s (which are effectively the old reserves now). I also think there’s a strong chance that the club and Fisher want him to go out somewhere and play? With Albinson released maybe they don’t see a replacement from the 18’s.

I’m also pretty sure that the last commentary post which Sharpe did with TM before he went to India. I’m sure Sharpe confirms that we’re looking to sign ‘at least’ one goalkeeper? Maybe that was the biggest hint yet that they’re considering selling Raya? Then adding two senior keepers to fight it out? Just a theory...

It's a very odd situation to be offering an extension to a player that the manager obviously wants shut of. It must mean he's selling Raya but can't leave himself without a senior GK, and hasn't anyone else lined up yet. 

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

You do realise that everything in this thread is conjecture?

So we're not signing Luca Toni then? 

Edited by Neal

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's a very odd situation to be offering an extension to a player that the manager obviously wants shut of. It must mean he's selling Raya but can't leave himself without a senior GK, and hasn't anyone else lined up yet. 

Very odd indeed.

My interpretation is that Mowbray is playing everything safe pending the outcome of his Pune meetings. If he doesn't know what (if any) money he'll have to spend then he might regret it if he gets shut of Leutwiler, Conway etc. now. So safer to activate extensions and enter into talks just in case.

14 hours ago, AJW said:

Raya is a good shot stopper but is always capable of a Rick , and then capable of the same Rick , .I think there's a very good keeper in there somewhere and it's possible he could go on to PL level  but ,  If we can get a decent fee , then sign someone like Ruddy Carson or Westwood on a free then ....

The difference between Raya and Westwood is not the difference between promotion or not.

We should not be selling 24 year old Raya to bring in a bloke who turns 35 next season, who has just been on the thick end of 30k a week.

It is the complete opposite of the kind of thing we should be doing.

Just now, JHRover said:

Very odd indeed.

My interpretation is that Mowbray is playing everything safe pending the outcome of his Pune meetings. If he doesn't know what (if any) money he'll have to spend then he might regret it if he gets shut of Leutwiler, Conway etc. now. So safer to activate extensions and enter into talks just in case.

I thought the same. @Paul Mani (iirc) was adamant, however, that there would be no delays to transfers caused by Mogga having to go to India to beg for money. 

On 19/05/2019 at 10:29, Sparks Rover said:

Raya is just too small to be dominant. 

Depends on the size of the sub I'd say.

Oh wait, what were we talking about again? 😇

Apparently Brentfords GK coach has worked with Raya before. Also sounds like he speaks little English so they want a Spanish speaking keeper. 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Whatever gets you off. 

Chill man.

52 minutes ago, Neal said:

So we're not signing Luca Toni then? 

Not unless he brings his gloves.

41 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The difference between Raya and Westwood is not the difference between promotion or not.

We should not be selling 24 year old Raya to bring in a bloke who turns 35 next season, who has just been on the thick end of 30k a week.

It is the complete opposite of the kind of thing we should be doing.

Depends if they are going to have a real push a promotion and aside from a big one off every five years Venkys have tended to prefer sanctioning wages rather than lots of big fees AND big contracts so you never know.

Not saying it's right or wrong but it does fit in with the way they've done things in the past.

I thought the idea was to improve the team. You shouldn't sell a player till the improvement is in place!

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Very odd indeed.

Yep - screams uncertainty over budget to me. Yet again.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

I thought the same. @Paul Mani (iirc) was adamant, however, that there would be no delays to transfers caused by Mogga having to go to India to beg for money. 

Where is Madon when you need him?

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So wait, are those who said Raya shouldn't be number 1 now saying we shouldn't sell him? 

Which people have said both?

See both keepers for me if we can improve them immediately. Not bothered about potentially selling one later down the line for potentially 10 million quid.

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought the idea was to improve the team. You shouldn't sell a player till the improvement is in place!

This is a good point otherwise it gives the perfect excuse for money to disappear and any old bodies to be brought in just to make numbers up.

Proper way to upgrade is bring a better one in and move another out otherwise it's just sell to buy and that doesn't always work out well in these parts.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Interesting. I know what you mean but I can see them wanting a more ‘ready’ made option in the 23’s (which are effectively the old reserves now). I also think there’s a strong chance that the club and Fisher want him to go out somewhere and play? With Albinson released maybe they don’t see a replacement from the 18’s.

I’m also pretty sure that the last commentary post which Sharpe did with TM before he went to India. I’m sure Sharpe confirms that we’re looking to sign ‘at least’ one goalkeeper? Maybe that was the biggest hint yet that they’re considering selling Raya? Then adding two senior keepers to fight it out? Just a theory...

I’ve watched Leutweiler play for the U23s already, and to say he was/is an international keeper, he was terrible. :( (Granted, he might have improved but at 30yo he should be capable of being a very decent number two or even number one somewhere - at least an ambition to).

Still not what we need IMHO.

The thing is, similarly to Downing, Mowbray doesn’t appear to want players complaining about being on the bench and knocking on his door (I honestly think this was also his thinking with Travis and Rothwell). Leutweiler seems happy to be perma-sub and this is one less headache for Mowbray. (Even today “he could leave if he wants more game time” - why? He should be pressing to play here but isn’t good enough). Personally I think managers should welcome the challenge of players being upset at being left out because it means you can challenge those on the pitch to step up. Who was challenging Raya and who was challenging Mulgrew? Particularly post-January. In both cases, nobody.

We shouldn’t keep mediocre players because they will gladly be sub and we shouldn’t let players leave on a free just because the want to play.  Seems wrong to me.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Think the rule is that you can play 3 over age players at any one time as well as an over age ‘keeper. 

Leutwiler in the 23’s with Raya plus one (experienced) other in the first team squad makes that Unit look a lot more capable of dealing with a promotion push, you think?

Leutweiler adds nothing to that scenario. Hes a goalkeeper who almost certainly wont feature, even being in the 18 will be be rare, and crucially he has already proved that if he was needed, he isnt up to it.

Did Leutwiler not play well, barring one mistake in the 4 games near the end of the season? I don't recall any criticism of his performances at the time, but now many seem to be repeating the line that "he isnt up to it". 

Personally I would prefer Raya to stay with an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on him

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did Leutwiler not play well, barring one mistake in the 4 games near the end of the season? I don't recall any criticism of his performances at the time, but now many seem to be repeating the line that "he isnt up to it". 

Personally I would prefer Raya to stay with an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on him

Made a few good saves against Norwich, but on the whole he was really poor, just no presence about him whatso ever for a supposed international keeper.