Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

26 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Made a few good saves against Norwich, but on the whole he was really poor, just no presence about him whatso ever for a supposed international keeper. 

He is also really slow to get down to shots

97 pages and the season isn't yet over with the European cup games still to go. We are getting bloody good at this lads.

If there's anything Venky's have given us it's ridiculously big threads before anything is actually done. They must have a right giggle at it.

I reckon an easy 200 page target before we make a signing.

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did Leutwiler not play well, barring one mistake in the 4 games near the end of the season? I don't recall any criticism of his performances at the time, but now many seem to be repeating the line that "he isnt up to it". 

Personally I would prefer Raya to stay with an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on him

No, made the big error v QPR, was generally terrible coming for crosses, and as @Oldgregg86 said, was really slow to get down, as shown for Norwich's first goal and also McBurnies header.

The problem with bringing in "an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on" Raya suggests that the new keeper will not be first choice and thus isnt as good as Raya. Whats the point bringing in a player who isnt an improvement?

16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

97 pages and the season isn't yet over with the European cup games still to go. We are getting bloody good at this lads.

If there's anything Venky's have given us it's ridiculously big threads before anything is actually done. They must have a right giggle at it.

I reckon an easy 200 page target before we make a signing.

Closer to 300 for me.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, made the big error v QPR, was generally terrible coming for crosses, and as @Oldgregg86 said, was really slow to get down, as shown for Norwich's first goal and also McBurnies header.

The problem with bringing in "an experienced Championship keeper in to put pressure on" Raya suggests that the new keeper will not be first choice and thus isnt as good as Raya. Whats the point bringing in a player who isnt an improvement?

Correct as the emergency back up / stand in is already in place and he only likely got those games at the end of the season so TM could have a look at him and let his next 12 months kick in.

If he's satisfied that we could go through a successful season with him as no 1 if Raya left or was out for a spell then i'm as worried as I was when he stated he was happy with the defenders mid way through the season.

My thinking is if he sees sense and brings in a direct challenge to Raya he'll loan out JL, he likes looking after his ex Boro lads after all.

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Closer to 300 for me.

Mowbray due back from India later this week, I think if we get to 300 pages, then it's clear he didn't get what he was after in Pune.

Leutwiler made 3 apperances for Canada since his debut in 2016 and I from what I can source is no longer in their squad., so no longer a day off card.

46 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ideally he should be an improvement. Clearly. 

17 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Mowbray due back from India later this week, I think if we get to 300 pages, then it's clear he didn't get what he was after in Pune.

There we have it.

If we reach 300 pages it's time to protest.

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Leutwiler made 3 apperances for Canada since his debut in 2016 and I from what I can source is no longer in their squad., so no longer a day off card.

All Championship teams get the day off, no?

Just now, Stuart said:

All Championship teams get the day off, no?

OK, I forgot that. Thanks.

But wanted to also make the point that he's no longer considered even as 3rd choice keeper for the Canada squad

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

OK, I forgot that. Thanks.

But wanted to also make the point that he's no longer considered even as 3rd choice keeper for the Canada squad

And it’s a very good point.

Hardly the kind of keeper that we would be out scouring the world for if he wasn’t already here as a result of his tactical signing last season.

A strange situation. We sign a keeper for what can only been seen as a cynical way to postpone L1 games when our best players were called up - a decision I applaud, by the way. But then seemingly out of some view of rewarding loyalty he is given an extension of his current contract?

Smacks of someone forgetting to check the small print of his “option” that meant it was automatic if he played 5 games or more...

Just now, Stuart said:

And it’s a very good point.

Hardly the kind of keeper that we would be out scouring the world for if he wasn’t already here as a result of his tactical signing last season.

A strange situation. We sign a keeper for what can only been seen as a cynical way to postpone L1 games when our best players were called up - a decision I applaud, by the way. But then seemingly out of some view of rewarding loyalty he is given an extension of his current contract?

Smacks of someone forgetting to check the small print of his “option” that meant it was automatic if he played 5 games or more...

Was that written into his contract?

It seems a very small number of games to invoke an auto extension which could, for example, have been triggered by an injury to GK 1, say by a kick in the face, that didn't allow him to be rushed back into service after missing just 1 game.

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Was that written into his contract?

It seems a very small number of games to invoke an auto extension which could, for example, have been triggered by an injury to GK 1, say by a kick in the face, that didn't allow him to be rushed back into service after missing just 1 game.

“Smacks of”. I’ve no idea but he played 5 games and we inexplicably activated his one year extension. He can leave if he wants but he is delighted to be here.

I have an Irish Dad, can I sign please? Useless in the nets though, but does that matter?

They got rid of Robinson for non football reasons and replaced him with Boros no 3 Steele for non footballing reasons.

One they wanted off the payroll and rid of his influence the other came much cheaper with a view to resurrecting his career and making a few quid out of him in the long run.

It would be really nice to bring a keeper in for footballing reasons this time if there is to be a change and it's not just the usually empty words to calm a gathering storm, you know something along the lines of he's better than what we have !

Just now, lraC said:

I have an Irish Dad, can I sign please? Useless in the nets though, but does that matter?

Call yourself a midfielder and you're in!

3 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This is another thing Venkys have ruined; I've genuinely had nowhere near as much concern about Rovers goalkeepers in my lifetime until they turned up. 

Started properly following in 1992...  🤔

Haha..To be honest, I don't think it has been all that great, since Brad. Since Robinson, though, goalkeeping errors really have cost us a lot of points.

Before that, Darren Collier didn't delight, but, at least he only played a few games. John Butcher didn't inspire either....

Generally, we have been blessed with the likes of Sir Roger, Jim Arnold and Gennoe before Jack's money...

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They got rid of Robinson for non football reasons and replaced him with Boros no 3 Steele for non footballing reasons.

Disagree about Robbo, he was well past his prime by then and had become a liability even at this level. Yes his big wage was a factor, as we couldn't sustain it in the Championship, but if he had been playing a lot better maybe we would have.

When Steele came in I can't say I noticed much difference (agree it wasn't a particularly ambitious replacement though). Was far from a great keeper, but (I'm sure I'll be pilloried for this given the apparent consensus) thought he is villified far more than he warranted.

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Is that card required in the championship

Not really got a problem with activating the clause in JLs contract he's prob not on a great deal of money and it gives cover until we sign another keeper then we can sell or loan him out. 

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Disagree about Robbo, he was well past his prime by then and had become a liability even at this level. Yes his big wage was a factor, as we couldn't sustain it in the Championship, but if he had been playing a lot better maybe we would have.

When Steele came in I can't say I noticed much difference (agree it wasn't a particularly ambitious replacement though). Was far from a great keeper, but (I'm sure I'll be pilloried for this given the apparent consensus) thought he is villified far more than he warranted.

I remember reading some stats regarding Robbo when we were struggling in  the Prem. His saves to shots ratio was the worst of any keeper in the division.

It seemed to me that any shot from distance was a goal.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces