BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:35, Dave S said:

Adam Davies the Goalkeeper from Barnsley  is going to Stoke.

I know I am quoting myself but, this shows a lot of guesswork from the press.

This was 2 weeks ago and Stoke have announced it today.

To save other people a Google...

"Liam Lindsay for £2m. Adam Davies,  Jordan Cousins, Nick Powell and Lee Gregory on free transfers."

Gregory is a meh signing to me, but Cousins is highly rated and we all know what Powell is about and we could have done worse than all 5 at our positions of need.

GK, CB, CM, AMC, CF - Talk about building a spine of a team for £2m. Dont see any of them being nailed on best X1 here but certainly upgrades on most championship 18's.

The queue for the buffet is getting long and if Mowbray ain't careful we're going to end up with only the last tuna and egg mayo sandwich which has a piece of bread missing.

• Like 3

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

To save other people a Google...

"Liam Lindsay for £2m. Adam Davies,  Jordan Cousins, Nick Powell and Lee Gregory on free transfers."

Gregory is a meh signing to me, but Cousins is highly rated and we all know what Powell is about and we could have done worse than all 5 at our positions of need.

GK, CB, CM, AMC, CF - Talk about building a spine of a team for £2m. Dont see any of them being nailed on best X1 here but certainly upgrades on most championship 18's.

The queue for the buffet is getting long and if Mowbray ain't careful we're going to end up with only the last tuna and egg mayo sandwich which has a piece of bread missing.

Just wait for the talk about it only being 4 months until January when we can sign players instead.

• Like 1

Patience is needed, Most players are not back from holidays yet, with many sides changing manager as well players will be assessed before being made available, Diving in early could bite you sometimes as your 1st choice targets might come available after you spent majority of budget

Just now, Jlee1984 said:

Patience is needed, Most players are not back from holidays yet, with many sides changing manager as well players will be assessed before being made available, Diving in early could bite you sometimes as your 1st choice targets might come available after you spent majority of budget

Agree with you,, but patience on here you must me joking, ok Stoke signed 5 on one day, extremely unusual, most of the clubs are in the same position as us, wish folk would just wait until the window closes, and then make a judgment.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Blackburn Rovers are set to announce the signing of Fejiri Okenabirhie from Shrewsbury Town on a one-year deal, according to a local newspaper #brfc #shrews.         Just on Twitter no idea if true

Don't think it's true :)

Twitter account is generating random rumours: 

Tired of football rumours generated by people "in the know"? Why not see if a random number generator is any better?!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, unsall said:

Agree with you,, but patience on here you must me joking, ok Stoke signed 5 on one day, extremely unusual, most of the clubs are in the same position as us, wish folk would just wait until the window closes, and then make a judgment.

Most clubs aren't in the same position as us. Most clubs don't sign players for the future costing millions of pounds. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, unsall said:

If you arent interested in peoples judgements, then why are you in this thread prior to the closure of the window?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, unsall said:

Blackburn Rovers are set to announce the signing of Fejiri Okenabirhie from Shrewsbury Town on a one-year deal, according to a local newspaper #brfc #shrews.         Just on Twitter no idea if true

Signed a 2 year deal last summer with she shrews if we are paying a fee why’d he sign for a year only?

Would seem risky for the player and an outlay at risk for rovers

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Most clubs aren't in the same position as us. Most clubs don't sign players for the future costing millions of pounds. 

I was meaning most clubs haven’t signed many players yet, Stoke the exception, so why not wait till the window shuts, instead of  writing us off in June re transfers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jlee1984 said:

With the side flying out to Austria can’t see much happening until Mowbray is back, 

Christ, hope that doesn't become the rationale...

'Can't do anything until TM is back from Pune.'

Great, he's back, so we-

'Can't do anything til TM is back from his holidays.'

Alright fair enough, but now he's back we-

'Can't do anything until we are back from Austria.'

What next? No wait I know this one, because we used it last summer...

'Can't do anything until the Prem teams have decided which youth players to keep around this season.'

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Signed a 2 year deal last summer with she shrews if we are paying a fee why’d he sign for a year only?

Would seem risky for the player and an outlay at risk for rovers

Another poster has said the Twitter account explains it is a rumour generator bot. Don't worry about it.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Christ, hope that doesn't become the rationale...

'Can't do anything until TM is back from Pune.'

Great, he's back, so we-

'Can't do anything til TM is back from his holidays.'

Alright fair enough, but now he's back we-

'Can't do anything until we are back from Austria.'

What next? No wait I know this one, because we used it last summer...

'Can't do anything until the Prem teams have decided which youth players to keep around this season.'

Mowbray has stated many times he likes to meet players face to face to see if they are up for it,

Theres nothing wrong with judging as we go, if we sign someone good next, people will be happy and praise the manager, if we sign someone crap he will be criticised. If players that could have had an impact here go elsewhere, especially those linked strongly here like Bauer, of course people are going to comment on the potential that a rival competitor has potentially got an edge on us. Only the occasional conspirator will claim Mowbray is not a good man but we are judging his managerial skills, not his personality. 

In regards to Downing, I can understand plenty of the criticism, I am personally not the fan of signing a 35 year old winger who was fairly reliant on his pace, but the potential plus points have also been pointed out plenty.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Last summer and the January transfer window weren't exactly great, so it's fair for people to be a little nervous at the moment imo. Last summer we signed Rothwell, Armstrong, Davenport and Rodwell. I'd only class Armstrong as a minor success at the moment. Rothwell only started to have influence when the season was dead and Mowbray had nothing to lose by playing him, Rodwell only appeared sporadically with mixed results, and Davenport didn't play at all. Palmer, Reed and Brereton came in as loans which looked good on paper but ultimately only Reed had any impact and he was almost always played out of position. Palmer obviously never fit into TM's plans so not really sure why we signed him in the first place, and I'm not even going to go into Brereton. January saw Chapman come in, Downing leave, and that was it. 

It's entirely possible that the likes of Rothwell, Brereton, Davenport and Chapman will come good this season and retrospectively make these windows seem a lot better, but we didn't sign anybody that immediately improved us - except Reed. Mowbray now has to prove he can sign players who can have an instant impact and come straight into the first team, as we've already done plenty of signings for the future. He also needs to avoid signing players and then proceeding to play them out of position, as he did with Armstrong (striker shoehorned into a winger/wide mid), Brereton (striker shoehorned into a winger/wide mid), Palmer (attacking mid shoehorned into a winger/wide mid), Rothwell (attacking midfielder shoehorned into a winger/wide mid), Rodwell (midfielder shoehorned into centre back), and Reed (centre mid shoehorned into a winger/wide mid). Granted Rodwell can play CB (although not especially well) and Rothwell was used every so often in his proper position, but even so... sign players to play in their natural positions and stop trying to convert everybody into a wide midfielder/winger please, Tony.  

• Like 7