BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Just catching up on the last few pages and I thought I'd give my tuppence worth:

Some people think others are hysterical vs. some people think they have legitimate concerns

Some people are too harsh on Mowbray vs. some people won't accept any criticism whatsoever of him.

Some people think we overpaid for Brereton vs. some people that think he's an investment for the future.

Some people think Mowbray is too loyal to a lot of players vs. some people don't.

Some people eat meat vs some people don't.

(Okay, the last one was a bit silly, but you get the idea).

Point is, people have different opinions, if we all accepted people thought differently and didn't make the point they were right and they couldn't understand why others didn't think everyone else didn't think exactly like them, we'd get on a lot better on here. 

Just need some people to stop telling the other they can’t have an opinion - or that they are somehow intellectually challenged for having one.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya for sure and that's why I hope we sign better than Bauer. It seemed to me that he was seen as a replacement for Downing in the squad. If Williams is now going to fill that role, then we definitely need a left back. The CB should be someone who will improve the starting 11, ideally the left back too. Neither would be guaranteed a starting place though and that's the way it should be. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I never said he should start though, so why are you telling me? I said he should take Downings role, as in a squad player. It's pretty simple. 

Lenihan should have a new CB partner on the opening day. 

I agree with what you are saying, we need starters, not just padding out of the squad. As you say, Lenihan needs a new partner right away, not one to come in and sit and wait. The defence from last year isnt good enough to push on.

Specifically on Bauer, I dont really understand why he wouldnt have gotten into the starting 11 straight away, in that hes had a very successful season and our defence only proved itself to be incompetent last season. If it was between Lenihan, Bauer, Williams and Mulgrew surely the former 2 would be first choice, of course initially, everything depends on performance. We have 3 senior centre backs, sadly Mulgrew in particular would be difficult to shift off the wage bill, so youd suspect that theres room in the squad for one more, it has to be one that has the ability and capability to go straight into the team, initially.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I agree with what you are saying, we need starters, not just padding out of the squad. As you say, Lenihan needs a new partner right away, not one to come in and sit and wait. The defence from last year isnt good enough to push on.

Specifically on Bauer, I dont really understand why he wouldnt have gotten into the starting 11 straight away, in that hes had a very successful season and our defence only proved itself to be incompetent last season. If it was between Lenihan, Bauer, Williams and Mulgrew surely the former 2 would be first choice, of course initially, everything depends on performance. We have 3 senior centre backs, sadly Mulgrew in particular would be difficult to shift off the wage bill, so youd suspect that theres room in the squad for one more, it has to be one that has the ability and capability to go straight into the team, initially.

Did he? Based on what? He was out injured for the start of the season if I remember correctly.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Did he? Based on what? He was out injured for the start of the season if I remember correctly.

Promotion, second best defensive record (by 1 goal), played 38 games. Whereas our defence was awful.

My point is not that Bauer would or wouldnt have been a good signing, its irrelevant to his ability. Its that we need to be signing a player to go straight into the team. Mowbray needs to be, not even ruthless because that implies its a tough decision to rip up such a crap defence.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Promotion, second best defensive record (by 1 goal), played 38 games. Whereas our defence was awful.

My point is not that Bauer would or wouldnt have been a good signing, its irrelevant to his ability. Its that we need to be signing a player to go straight into the team. Mowbray needs to be, not even ruthless because that implies its a tough decision to rip up such a crap defence.

And by comparison our defence was 3rd best in League 1 (by 1 goal). Means nothing. We also conceded exactly the same amount of goals - 40 each.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

And by comparison our defence was 3rd best in League 1 (by 1 goal). Means nothing. We also conceded exactly the same amount of goals - 40 each.

Fair point, of all the playerd linked I want Hanley or Cooper ideally. My point was about signing a ready made first teamer.

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Just need some people to stop telling the other they can’t have an opinion - or that they are somehow intellectually challenged for having one.

Some appear to be the gaffers personal spokesperson and even they were expecting Bauer through the door but have now changed tack, y'know them types who only pop up at transfer time.....

• Like 1

I see Bauer has gone from being a  rated Rovers target to being a League 1 plodder and whore who's sold himself down the road for a 'guaranteed' place and the City Keys.

I will content myself with assuming that we do actually have other targets.

He would've sparked a big debate had he signed but I think most would have thought him a decent edition to the squad and plenty expected him to be first through the door and seemed happy about that including the managers main tub thumpers.

End of the day though it comes down to Tony Mowbrays judgement and he's judged a player to be good enough to bid for twice and retain a serious interest in for over 12 months then let it go.  He's also judged to chase another from his hometown club and put the funds and effort into signing him ( instead ? )  so it's his call just like the Brereton one was last summer and all that has cost/is going to cost.  I'd say it's his head on the block except I doubt it is.

He seems to have carte blanche, not with the cheque book but in terms of what he does at the club and who comes and goes and where we are going i'e somewhere between 15th and 12th by next May but a team worth more than it is now, that's the plan in my mind.  We know what'll then start following that..........

3 hefty good pedigree signings would prove me wrong even if they were on loan although 3 million quid in wages will easily be recouped from sales anyway but it would show some real bloody ambition and give us a real shout at the top 6 on top of what we have.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

• Backroom

My biggest concern so far is that we've seen very few links to new players. It's either players we've been linked to in the past, former Rovers players or cast offs from Tony's previous clubs. We supposedly have a scouting network, so hopefully we're just keeping things quiet. It's still somewhat early days but we're about to enter July with nothing obvious on the horizon in terms of player recruitment other than the possible return of Grant Hanley. 

• Like 1

Iv been negative on mowbray since our league 1 campaign and this summer is doing nothing to appease me. Yes I know it’s fairly early but even those being linked don’t excite me. Frank fielding, Stewart downing, Grant Hanley ffs, it’s going to be a long season 

• Like 3

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

While I would love to see us linked with some new ,fresh and exciting talent, I do think that Hanley and Gallagher would straighten the squad

Hanley certainly would, but I fear Gallagher would end up on the wing as that seems to be the common theme with Mowbray and strikers.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I see Bauer has gone from being a  rated Rovers target to being a League 1 plodder and whore who's sold himself down the road for a 'guaranteed' place and the City Keys.

I will content myself with assuming that we do actually have other targets.

You can still be " a rated Rovers target " and a " League 1 plodder " I'm afraid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

The issue for Bauer was personality of the manager and therefore the club.  Him talking about his reasons for joining Preston (Neil's youthful outlook, attacking style, 2 recent promotions, etc) are the very things Mowbray and Waggot don't offer.  Fair to say that a young lad needs to be enthused about where he's going to work.......I think Tony is just a generation to old for this

Mate, you don’t know anything about Mowbrays personality. Only what a friend of a friend told you about a meeting with Ben Whiteman.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Only after he’d gone from a league 1 plodder to Rio Ferdinand because he’d decided to join another club...

I content myself with assuming that thankfully none of you are actually in charge! ?

Keys of the City was a classic though. 

You've been to Preston? maybe when Tony lets you out of the office

• Like 2

The problem with Bauer falling through isn't the circumstances around why it fell through. It's the fact we have appeared to need an aerially commanding centre half since we went down 24 months ago, have gone through 4 transfer windows and the only centre half we have been seriously  linked with  in this time has turned us down.

We have conceded way too many headed goals from crosses and set pieces for two years now, and it's still not been addressed. That's what worries me about Mowbray and our lack of action, not the failing of the Bauer deal specifically. We don't seem to be able to upgrade the obvious weak areas.

We know we have another problem at left back but I fear that issue will run and run for another half season at least.

Plenty of time left yet this window but I've thought that in previous windows and been disappointed.

• Like 8

Just now, Hasta said:

The problem with Bauer falling through isn't the circumstances around why it fell through. It's the fact we have appeared to need an aerially commanding centre half since we went down 24 months ago, have gone through 4 transfer windows and the only centre half we have been seriously  linked with  in this time has turned us down.

We have conceded way too many headed goals from crosses and set pieces for two years now, and it's still not been addressed. That's what worries me about Mowbray and our lack of action, not the failing of the Bauer deal specifically. We don't seem to be able to upgrade the obvious weak areas.

We know we have another problem at left back but I fear that issue will run and run for another half season at least.

Plenty of time left yet this window but I've thought that in previous windows and been disappointed.

And that the centre back in question was told he wouldnt even get in the team straight away, despite the fact that our defence is absolutely awful.

Just now, OssyLad said:

Did anyone actually see Bauer play in play offs? He was terrible apart from the goal in final. He’s no better than we’ve got. I’m glad we didn’t sign him, Mowbray knows what he’s doing, trust him!

Mowbray tried to sign Bauer, in fact he spent a year chasing him.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray tried to sign Bauer, in fact he spent a year chasing him.

But wouldn’t pay what Charlton wanted, or agree to squad expectations and/or a first XI wage for him.

Import caveats

I have no problem with people having a different point of view, and clearly there are those who still have faith in Mowbray.

Sorry, but I just don't anymore, and the Bauer scenario is a good example of why.

Mowbray has basically told the player he has little chance of getting in the team for the foreseeable future.

To me, that is ridiculous. He could have chosen a better way of selling the club and the move to the player.

It wouldn't be so bad if our defence was already adequate.

What is the point of chasing a player for so long and then telling him he's not good enough to feature in a very poor defence?

I'm afraid I expect the penny to drop for many people as the season progresses.

We still await any fruits from the policy of having staff watch European leagues on tv.

We've now moved on to the inevitable, "I don't really want to bring in loan signings, but might have to."

It's all so predictable.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Too much sense in this post and well put across.