BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Jeezo Jack Payne linked back again, do we only have a network system of ex players and Middlesborough. Getting sick of this, expand the bloody search, get the European scouting working, we need better than this 

Oh god, this is maybe worse than I thought! Please no.

4 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

TM said at his 'evening  with' that we need a 6ft 4 ugly CB who can head a ball.  He also mentioned not getting one was a regret from his Coventry spell.  If we don't get one this window (even if it's a squaddie that just fills in against aerial teams) then it's inexcusable. Simple as.

Agreed. 100%

5 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Hanley had a good final season for us but the year before he was pretty awful. He hasn't played regularly for a while so not really able to judge his recent form. Definitely some boxes not ticked - could go either way if he came back.  Would Mowbray be able to offer him a guaranteed starting place or would he also be a squad filler?

I accept that he’s not played much. Maybe he’s the guy on holiday who was groaning about having to do a trial? 

As for being a starter or a squad filler...the answer is that very few players ever sign for any team as a dead cert starter...the cb issue and our lack of physicality in there is one which needs addressing

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Why wouldn’t you want us to sign Hanley? Championship pedigree, club captain of a newly promoted team, big, ugly, uncompromising, knows the club. I’d say he is the most ideal signing we could make. Permenant or loan...basically ticks every box? 

Just don’t think he’s up to it. He has chased the money and has been happy to be on the bench at clubs higher up the league. He played 9 games last season; Norwich got promoted without him. He was also a really poor captain when he was here.

When he’s older he’ll look back on his career and think what might have been. But at least he’ll have made lots of money.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Just don’t think he’s up to it. He has chased the money and has been happy to be on the bench at clubs higher up the league. He played 9 games last season; Norwich got promoted without him. He was also a really poor captain when he was here.

When he’s older he’ll look back on his career and think what might have been. But at least he’ll have made lots of money.

I agree about him not having played a lot of games and the risk. But he’s an improvement on what we’ve got and has much better pedigree than Bauer.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I agree about him not having played a lot of games and the risk. But he’s an improvement on what we’ve got and has much better pedigree than Bauer.

Any pedigree Hanley’s has is from being an ex Rovers player.

When he has played more than 10 games for anyone else he has shown himself to be mediocre.

Moving back to Rovers would be a backward step for both parties but it would be better for Hanley than Rovers.

• Like 1

A bit disturbing that we keep seeing the same names over again. How nice and encouraging it would be to be linked with some fresh faces from Europe for once. If Mowbray's scouts have been out for weeks, they must have some names! Hopefully kept under wraps for now.

• Like 1

Seeing the same names, and obvious links such as Hanley and Gallagher may not be indicative of a lack of targets but more of the success that the club has in keeping its targets under wraps. 

If you look at last summer, where the Freeman and Brereton links came out of nowhere then this may back this up.

• Like 5

Just now, Stuart said:

When he has played more than 10 games for anyone else he has shown himself to be mediocre.

He came second in Norwich’s player of the season in 17/18 (and was their captain iirc), so that’s bullshit.

• Like 7

Just now, Igloo5090 said:

Seeing the same names, and obvious links such as Hanley and Gallagher may not be indicative of a lack of targets but more of the success that the club has in keeping its targets under wraps. 

If you look at last summer, where the Freeman and Brereton links came out of nowhere then this may back this up.

Hopefully!

31 minutes ago, Swanson said:

A bit disturbing that we keep seeing the same names over again. How nice and encouraging it would be to be linked with some fresh faces from Europe for once. If Mowbray's scouts have been out for weeks, they must have some names! Hopefully kept under wraps for now.

I agree. Last years signings, bar Armstrong pretty much came out of the blue. I think a lot of these ‘linked’ former players are either lazy journalists or agents trying to get things moving.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Any pedigree Hanley’s has is from being an ex Rovers player.

Moving back to Rovers would be a backward step for both parties but it would be better for Hanley than Rovers.

The guy has been with two clubs who’ve been promoted out of the league and has 200+ appearances in the Championship. He’s 27yrs old and fits the type of cb profile we need with the added bonus of knowing the club. Agree to disagree.

• Like 2

• Backroom
40 minutes ago, Igloo5090 said:

Rothwell, Palmer, Davenport were out of the blue too. No links to any if I remember rightly, not even from Pete O'Rourke!

Only ones we knew about were Armstrong, and Rodwell.

The Brereton signing had a slight 'saga' to it of about 2 weeks, but Freeman was another bid out of the blue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

It seems as though we are missing out on all targets, Adam Maher from the dutch league would have been a terrific signing, and Mowbray really wanted him by all accounts, but he signed with another dutch club. Baeur, signed for Preston. O'neill another target, will probably end up elsewhere, as there seems to be a lot of interest in him, 2 of the clubs being clubs who did pretty decent last season. (Leeds and Bristol City).

I think it will be a very similar story to last summer, freebies and young cheap signings such as Downing and Rae (the young leeds keeper), and then we will be dashing around a few days before the window shuts, and will bring in a couple of loans and splash out the majority of the available cash that's available for cash transfers on one signing, such as Gallagher for £5million or so, and that will probably appease a lot of the fans, who will be delighted at a fairly big outlay on a striker, just as last season with Brereton, however the squad will be short of, just like last summer, a solid centre half, a full back, a proper winger and a central midfielder who can pass the ball (unless Davenport steps up to that role).

Edited by AAK
  • Like 3

Opinions vary on Hanley and I was never a huge fan more about how is attitude often came across but maybe he's grown up a bit now. He definitely had enough about him player wise to be a top end championship defender at least though and we can argue is he better than what we have but what he most surely brings is something a bit different, something that has been missing.

As for Payne, wtf is the point in that are we back to what I've long suspected and just turning to certain people to bring players in if the managers black book runs dry or sharing out the favours ?

Get a grip Rovers for gods sake give us a decent signing that doesn't have a thousand question marks around it for once. Remember Bradley Dack ????   That kind of thing........

• Like 2

I don't think I'd be completely against bringing Payne back in the club based on his quality, I always thought he was tidy enough. However it could hamper the progress of players such as Butterworth, or pave the way for a Dack exit, so taking that into respect I wouldn't be happy with that signing. May just be a case of lazy journalism though.

I'd take Hanley in a heart beat. We need someone to head and kick the ball into row Z and I reckon him and Lenihan would be a decent partnership. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

Payne on a free would be a good deal. Young, happy to fight for his place and knows the club and the lads. Sign him up.

You know if we get him in, then we spend our budget on a striker and CB, it won't be a bad window.  I just wonder how things will go. Will it be moaning here up until deadline day when we sign said players, or will things just peter out leaving us short. If we don't sign a good CB, we are in for a long season. Both on the field and on here. 

I think Graham can do it again next season, so I would be happy with an experienced loan or even taking a chance on a guy from the lower leagues. I wouldn't be big into loaning someone from the Premier league to be honest. Although I acknowledge it worked for derby and Villa, I just don't think we can pull off those types of deals, be in financially in villas case or via Frank Lamprds ties to Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Igloo5090 said:

Hardly surprising that the Brereton link came out of nowhere! Unfortunately it was true.

• Like 1

Just now, benhben said:

Payne just got relegated to league 2. Hes tiny and struggled to get a game when we were in Leauge 1. If we sign him its nothing but lazy and incompetent scouting or desperation that we cant get any deals done. 

I was really happy when we got Payne in last time after he was terrific in our league game at Oxford. Come the end of the season I was disappointed with his contribution but I don't think he played coming in from the left where he was so effective. It'll be a low risk signing for me but if he is to force his way into the team he has to be used correctly.

Just now, benhben said:

Payne just got relegated to league 2. Hes tiny and struggled to get a game when we were in Leauge 1. If we sign him its nothing but lazy and incompetent scouting or desperation that we cant get any deals done. 

I suspect he's been on the radar for some time now. We wouldn't pay for him last summer whilst he was still on Huddersfields books so now he's free its more appealing to us. Plus he's probably been knocked down a peg or two after getting relegated with Bradford and will be happy to 'fight for his place' which seems to be the requirement of any new signing these days.

If we'd have kept him last summer after promotion I'd have been happy, but 12 months on it feels quite lazy/desperate and backward looking to bring him in. I quite like the lad and think we could do worse but I'd have hoped for a bit more imagination than that really.

• Like 1

I'd class Payne as the same category of plenty of other players that we've been linked with (and signed, in Downing's case) - fine, but only if there's more to get excited about in our other summer business.

Clearly the boy has the technical ability at this level. Physically, he's not up to it, but if we're genuinely playing a much more technical game this season then he could have something to offer.