BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, Neal said:

Fully expecting that one to happen. Not in the know but just seems pretty obvious. 

I think you are 100% correct. Similar to the Rothwell deal this summer

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

An overhaul of the defence, and a proper one, has to take priority over anything else, including a permanent deal for the impressive Reed.

We need 2 centre backs, a right back and at least one, ideally 2 left backs, and a goalkeeper. And not back ups or squad fillers, first teamers.

Of course, personnel changes will only go so far and Mowbray has to stop being so negligent and laissez faire with how he organises the team and how much of a priority he sees the defensive side of things.

A striker to compete with Graham would be next on the list, as would a winger and Reed or a replacement. Rodwell if he is signed longer term should be as a midfielder. Bennett and Smallwood should be squad players at best.

You want competition not a pecking order. no need for 2 new centre backs when we got Mulgrew and Lenihan plus if Rodwell signs. 

Like I've been telling you I fully expect Bauer to sign. (not my suggestion before you jump in and have a go)

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You want competition not a pecking order. no need for 2 new centre backs when we got Mulgrew and Lenihan plus if Rodwell signs. 

Like I've been telling you I fully expect Bauer to sign. (not my suggestion before you jump in and have a go)

But we have had major issues with Mulgrew, Lenihan and Rodwell as our center halves this season? Bauer would be a good addition, but do you think that will leave us with good enough center half options to get promoted? 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'd just like us to be quick out of the blocks for one and get the majority of our spending and business done early doors to give the new players a full pre season. Mowbray said he wanted that last summer but it didn't happen as we left it to late on before bringing in Reed, Brereton and Armstrong. I don't expect that to happen as we've still to go through the annual review with Madame in May or June before approval is given to spend and we will be playing catch up whilst all the decent free agents will be snapped up.

It's such a depressing situation.  Even if Venky's authorise some spending we still have no infrastructure in place to make use of it at the right time.

Before we start thinking about new players we need to sort out the club behind the scenes and make it functional. 

Despite their money, our owners are a massive handicap.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes but we want competition to be above the level of Mulgrew and Rodwell, not on the same level. 

We need 2 centre halves better than the 2 mentioned to partner and push Lenihan.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But we have had major issues with Mulgrew, Lenihan and Rodwell as our centre halves this season? Bauer would be a good addition, but do you think that will leave us with good enough centre half options to get promoted? 

its a good point BDS. 

I don't know enough about Bauer to comment on

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Yes but we want competition to be above the level of Mulgrew and Rodwell, not on the same level. 

We need 2 centre halves better than the 2 mentioned to partner and push Lenihan.

I think Lenihan will be crucial and we need him to be fit all season

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

its a good point BDS. 

I don't know enough about Bauer to comment on

I think Lenihan will be crucial and we need him to be fit all season

I don't know anything either apart from the fact he has only played League 1 football in England. He could still be a great signing, it's just adding him alone to the mix with Mulgrew, Lenihan and Rodwell doesn't fill me with the confidence that there will be a huge improvement defensively. I suppose we have some good young lads as well, but again I don't see them as certainties when it comes to fixing our defensive woes.

As for Lenihan, it seems he picks up an injury every few months that keeps him out for a number of weeks. Could be unlucky or could be some underlying issues. Hard to know. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was giving my opinion, not Mowbrays, and I dont consider Rodwell to be a natural centre back. I would personally sign him up for an extra year or 2 as a holding midfielder.

Therefore, we have 2 centre backs left, both very injury prone and neither of whom have impressed much this season, leaving huge doubts as to whether they could play key roles in a promotion push. Theres no point signing players expected to be back ups, we need 2 in with the quality to expect to have a strong claim for a starting spot. Of course, we would have 4 centre backs then (the correct amount) and if Mulgrew and Lenihans form improved, of course there would be excellent competition there. If Bauer is one of them 2 on a free, that may allow us to spend big on a quality Championship centre back like Sheff United did with Egan.

Sadly, I suspect that as per in the past, any defensive recruitment will be minor and on the cheap.

In an ideal world I'd like us to pick up Liam Lindsey for the left side centre half as a natural left footed player.

I'd also look at bringing the Portsmouth winger Jamaal Lowe in who seems to get goals and assists.

Another player is John Marques as a rotation with Graham and Brereton for the striker position.

Plenty of other players as well who would improve us.

Edited by Tom Stinny
  • Like 1

Deceptively quick, aggressive and strong in the tackle. Has good anticipation, gets forward well and has an absolute hammer of a left foot. Capped at all levels apart from senior for France - on loan at Paris FC in ligue 2 from Nice this season.

Would cost about 1 million and better than either of the imposters who currently 'play' there for us.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

I do. Armstrong Brereton Graham and Nuttall. Whether they'll fire us to promotion is a different matter but as strikers they will get us by for now. The more glaring issues are no wingers and no defenders, at all.

Armstrong really seems to learning his position but I do agree he could do some damage up front. Nuttall I don't think will ever be good enough, I hope I'm wrong. I have to disagree though, I think we'll need to try and replace DG, along with CB and full backs are the most pressing issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Fraser Forster on loan for the season.

Romain Perraud (LB) from Nice in Ligue 1.

Forster is my dream keeper signing, unfortunately has a contract for a while and is on massive wedge. 

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:05, chaddyrovers said:

Why we need two center halves   because Mulgrew  and Rodwell  are not center halves they are midfield players round holes square pegs again 

On Wed Feb 20 2019 at 06:35, blueboy3333 said:

Less than a year left on his contract. At least Sam Hart got sorted. FFS. Amateurs. 

Mahoney, the lad who went to Leicester and now this lad all being allowed to run their contracts down. 

The LT were saying Buckley is contracted til summer 2020 (well, they say 18 months) and is in contract talks.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17447564.rovers-keen-to-secure-long-term-futures-of-their-prospects/

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think I missed something, how do we know that?

cos Mowbray mention scouting there in that league

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So now we know that Bundesliga 2 is of interest, which players there would be a good fit at Rovers?

Striker from Bochum, Lukas Hinterseer. 27 years old. out of contract this summer according to transfermarkt.

winger from Paderborn, Bernard Tekpetey. 21 years old. 

centre back from Arm.Bielefeld, Julian Borner. 28 years old. out of contract this summer according to transfermarkt. captain there aswell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

cos Mowbray mention scouting there in that league

Oh right, do you know where the article is about that?

I saw this article recently: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17437465.mowbray-plans-to-bring-in-european-scouting-network-at-rovers/

And it worried me to see that he said we don't have a scout who covers Europe (not sure how we can look seriously at Bundesliga 2 without one?), as I assumed that would have been part of the scout system restructuring process we undertook last year. I'm astonished it wasn't. In fact I had assumed that was the whole point, as surely we already scout the UK plenty.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Oh right, do you know where the article is about that?

I saw this article recently: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17437465.mowbray-plans-to-bring-in-european-scouting-network-at-rovers/

And it worried me to see that he said we don't have a scout who covers Europe (not sure how we can look seriously at Bundesliga 2 without one?), as I assumed that would have been part of the scout system restructuring process we undertook last year. I'm astonished it wasn't. In fact I had assumed that was the whole point, as surely we already scout the UK plenty.

supposedly we have a few scouts looking at those leagues/nations for players. 

I have posted on here in the last week some Rovers scouts Ive found on linkedin 

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

supposedly we have a few scouts looking at those leagues/nations for players. 

I have posted on here in the last week some Rovers scouts Ive found on linkedin 

If that's the case, it's very odd that Mowbray said we don't have a scout who covers Europe. I dunno, maybe he means we don't have a dedicated European scout and instead we sometimes have some of our domestic scouts keep an eye on a couple of leagues or so.

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If that's the case, it's very odd that Mowbray said we don't have a scout who covers Europe. I dunno, maybe he means we don't have a dedicated European scout and instead we sometimes have some of our domestic scouts keep an eye on a couple of leagues or so.

Mowbray said at the Supporters meeting that Harvey a couple of scouts are going to watch players in Europe this weekend