BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

9 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I’d have Bauer and Hanley in here this summer. Would be pleased with both and just what we need. 

Appears like Mulgrew might be away at the end of season, but I would keep a hold of Rodwell if possible. 

Rhodes would be a hard pass for me.

Mulgrew going back up North? Haven’t seen anything linking him with a move away? 

We need leaders - whoever comes in needs to be a leader. The ones we have are not good enough. I think Bennett gets shoehorned in just because he has a bit of leadership in him - ability wise he doesnt deserve a spot. Mulgrew is waning and DG will be a year older. Other than those three, do you see leadership in our team?

Just now, JacknOry said:

We need leaders - whoever comes in needs to be a leader. The ones we have are not good enough. I think Bennett gets shoehorned in just because he has a bit of leadership in him - ability wise he doesnt deserve a spot. Mulgrew is waning and DG will be a year older. Other than those three, do you see leadership in our team?

You could certainly make a case for Lenihan. Possibly Dack too as I would class his work rate as showing leadership. 

9 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The Macauley Bonne link is a Nixon, us and Bolton, so essentially made up. Lots of goals though. 

From a £7 MIL apprentice to a cheap as chips National  League player?  Now that part is believeable.

Scored 25 goals last season, and has 20 in 31 games this season. Admittedly those have come against the likes of Maidstone but could be worth a go if cheap. Does reak of being another profit turning project if true though. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You could certainly make a case for Lenihan. Possibly Dack too as I would class his work rate as showing leadership. 

Lenihan has potential yeah and could become a future captain but I would like leaders that dont have fitness issues. Dack, meh, workrate sometimes but I wouldnt have him down as captain material.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Scored 25 goals last season, and has 20 in 31 games this season. Admittedly those have come against the likes of Maidstone but could be worth a go if cheap. Does reak of being another profit turning project if true though

Is that not the idea? Has it not always being how we did things? 

A summer re-shuffle is required after many of the players have now shown they struggle to compete at this level. I can understand why TM wanted to give this group f players a chance to prove themselves, but they've now had their time and it's time to re-shape the squad. 

We need a couple of proper centre halves who just head, kick, block everything that comes their way. That's what we're missing. Why on earth he let Downing go I will never know. A new LB is certainly required too at that's where other teams target us at the moment.

We lack a lot of firepower and rely too heavily on Dack and Graham. I believe that Chapman, Armstrong, Rothwell and Brereton will become very good players for this club but we need more established players as well. Travis as well will be a top player, and already is to a certain extent. Davenport will hopefully be a step up too. Plus, we have some talented youngsters in the youth team (Buckley etc) so the future is bright. However, we need some more leaders for the here and now.

Dack has been off form the second half of the season and that has meant we've had very little creativity aside from lumping balls into Graham. A couple of proper centre halves and a left + some more creative players and I think we'll be a very good team. We're actually not that far off being a good team.

• Like 1

No, but not every leader can or needs to be captain. 

Not really saying they need to be captain. I just want a few more players that take responsibility, have a bit of fire in their belly. We're a soft touch.

• Like 2

Is that not the idea? Has it not always being how we did things? 

No it hasnt always how we have done things. Sure, we have always needed to sell to balance the books but this doesnt mean that EVERY transfer should be made with an eye on profit. What I would give for some hardened 30-year old CBs with years of Championship experience. Who cares if we dont make any money on them - let the likes of BB make us our money - cough cough.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

No it hasnt always how we have done things. Sure, we have always needed to sell to balance the books but this doesnt mean that EVERY transfer should be made with an eye on profit. What I would give for some hardened 30-year old CBs with years of Championship experience. Who cares if we dont make any money on them - let the likes of BB make us our money - cough cough.

It just seemed an odd critique that we are only signing a player from non league to turn a profit. I mean it's logical to think  that if he does well, it will be good for us and therefore will turn a profit. We have seen what 7 million gets you, so I wouldn't see an issue with taking a chance on this fella from non-league. As long as we use our budget to get a few strong leaders in elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

A summer re-shuffle is required after many of the players have now shown they struggle to compete at this level. I can understand why TM wanted to give this group f players a chance to prove themselves, but they've now had their time and it's time to re-shape the squad. 

We need a couple of proper centre halves who just head, kick, block everything that comes their way. That's what we're missing. Why on earth he let Downing go I will never know. A new LB is certainly required too at that's where other teams target us at the moment.

We lack a lot of firepower and rely too heavily on Dack and Graham. I believe that Chapman, Armstrong, Rothwell and Brereton will become very good players for this club but we need more established players as well. Travis as well will be a top player, and already is to a certain extent. Davenport will hopefully be a step up too. Plus, we have some talented youngsters in the youth team (Buckley etc) so the future is bright. However, we need some more leaders for the here and now.

Dack has been off form the second half of the season and that has meant we've had very little creativity aside from lumping balls into Graham. A couple of proper centre halves and a left + some more creative players and I think we'll be a very good team. We're actually not that far off being a good team.

Spot on.

We have enough 'for the future' types now. Time for some experienced pros to come in.

• Like 1

It just seemed an odd critique that we are only signing a player from non league to turn a profit. I mean it's logical to think  that if he does well, it will be good for us and therefore will turn a profit. We have seen what 7 million gets you, so I wouldn't see an issue with taking a chance on this fella from non-league. As long as we use our budget to get a few strong leaders in elsewhere. 

Just saying that it is hardly what we need right now. Another gamble type signing. In isolation it could be a good move but I would certainly be expecting more from our summer recruitment than a guy banging in the goals at a level not much higher than Sunday league. 

Just now, darrenrover said:

Tyrone Mings was outstanding at the back for Villa yesterday against Birmingham. He's on loan from Bournemouth and based on that display, looks like just the type of player we need.

Could be worth a shout.

Exactly the type of player we NEEDED. On loan , in January.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

Just now, JacknOry said:

Just saying that it is hardly what we need right now. Another gamble type signing. In isolation it could be a good move but I would certainly be expecting more from our summer recruitment than a guy banging in the goals at a level not much higher than Sunday league. 

I would be expecting more also, but I wouldn't be against this signing. 

48 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

The money spent on some battle hardened players comes when you get promoted.

I still think Robert huth would have come and made a massive difference until the end of the season. Where's chaddy to tell me that we don't need him now

A proper defender and leader that can head a ball......for free . Glad we kept or powder dry though

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 6

On 10 March 2019 at 11:17, Don Said said:

I caught the Charlton v Pompey game on Sky yesterday evening.

Patrick Bauer, Charltons captain at centre back who we were heavily linked with in summer was excellent. Won EVERYTHING in the air, blocked everything, dragged the rest of the Charlton side in to position at set pieces and looked very confident in possession. They don’t call him Big Effin German for nothing - the bloke is exactly the type we need.

I’d also want to bring in another centre back with lots of experience at this level or above as well as him, but Bauer alone would surely be a huge upgrade on each of Rodwell and Mulgrew.

South London shopping spree with Millwalls Jake Cooper and  Pape Soure from Palace as well would suit me 

12 hours ago, rovers11 said:

We're a million miles off being a good team imo. It's easier to  see if there's anyone good enough going forward.

Raya (maybe) Nyambe, Lenihan (maybe) Travis, Chapman (maybe) Dack (if his head's in the right place). 

Arguably we need a LB, 2 x CB, one top class central midfield player, another decent wide player and at least one main striker to replace Graham if not two proven strikers at Championship level.

Absolutely massive rebuilding job required.

• Like 5