BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

If Norwich are promoted Hanley who has only played 8 games this season could be available. He’s big and can head. I wonder if we could get him on loan or outright. I feel ideal in our situation knows the club and can lead. Also has a bit of aggression added in

• Like 6

Add to Hanley with Bauer the Charlton lad. Lenihan Wharton and Mulgrew. That’s cb sorted. Now just the fullbacks goalkeeper, effective wingers and Graham’s understudy. I’ll look at that between appts this aft. Football management easy.

• Like 2

Just now, Boroblue said:

Add to Hanley with Bauer the Charlton lad. Lenihan Wharton and Mulgrew. That’s cb sorted. Now just the fullbacks goalkeeper, effective wingers and Graham’s understudy. I’ll look at that between appts this aft. Football management easy.

Is Wharton better than Magloire? I feel he has moved ahead in the pecking order as things stand 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Is Wharton better than Magloire? I feel he has moved ahead in the pecking order as things stand 

Scott Wharton has been given a handful of appearances in league 2 at Bury. In a bizarre move the club considers such a deal as decent business, clearly, because he's been farmed out 3 seasons in a row to act as a rotation player. He will be 22 by the time he lands back here by which time his only notable experience is a squad player at League 2. 

Frustrating really. In the couple of appearances he had for us I thought he looked a solid enough performer and I have always heard good things from those that watch youth level. I am not against loan moves for experience but there's no way he has learnt more in his season at Bury this year than he would have done had he stayed with us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Probably only due to immediate availability.

For what it's worth I really like the look of Wharton, give him a season in league one next year and see if he's ready/good enough for the Championship after that - he's still only 21 so as a centre back he's worth giving time.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Problem is though, if he's barely playing when he's out on loan in League 2, it seems unlikely next season that he'll get in a team on a weekly basis a division higher.....

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Scott Wharton has been given a handful of appearances in league 2 at Bury. In a bizarre move the club considers such a deal as decent business, clearly, because he's been farmed out 3 seasons in a row to act as a rotation player.

I work with a Bury fan who says he looks their best defender by a mile. They only signed him in January & might've missed one or two games through a niggle. First centre back on the team sheet otherwise I believe.

• Like 1

Just now, Don Said said:

I work with a Bury fan who says he looks their best defender by a mile. They only signed him in January & might've missed one or two games through a niggle. First centre back on the team sheet otherwise I believe.

That's fair enough. Based on his time at Lincoln he was always a bit part player but if Bury are proposing to play him every week then it's a better deal.

At 21 I'd prefer him to be plying his trade in League 1 but at least Bury win almost every week so he's not gone to get battered and bruised all the time.

21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Scott Wharton has been given a handful of appearances in league 2 at Bury. In a bizarre move the club considers such a deal as decent business, clearly, because he's been farmed out 3 seasons in a row to act as a rotation player. He will be 22 by the time he lands back here by which time his only notable experience is a squad player at League 2. 

Frustrating really. In the couple of appearances he had for us I thought he looked a solid enough performer and I have always heard good things from those that watch youth level. I am not against loan moves for experience but there's no way he has learnt more in his season at Bury this year than he would have done had he stayed with us. 

Is the fact that he isn't getting into these League 2 teams not telling? 

Edit

Ok, i have noticed a few posters after you saying he is more than a squad player at Bury 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I find it extremely odd that Wharton has never been given a chance here. I thought he looked excellent all things considered when Coyle gave him a chance but then he got relegated down the pecking order after the useless Wes Brown was signed. 

He must be suffering from Jack O' Connell syndrome. It's even weirder he never even saw the light of day here.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldnt want to see Magloire playing in our first team any time soon. He seemingly cannot head a ball for a start. May need to spend some time on loan.

Hanley would be a terrific signing but also I cannot see that one happening.

Edited by roversfan99

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I find it extremely odd that Wharton has never been given a chance here. I thought he looked excellent all things considered when Coyle gave him a chance but then he got relegated down the pecking order after the useless Wes Brown was signed. 

He must be suffering from Jack O' Connell syndrome. It's even weirder he never even saw the light of day here.

I think a big injury at the wrong time. If he'd been fit at the start of last season you'd think he would've got a few games earlier on in the season when the defence wasn't set in stone and before Downing had come in for Ward.

I hope it is macauley bonne. Never seen him play but a few podcasts I listen to were raving about him. I think mentioned it a while back. 

As for wharton it definitely has the jack o Connelly feel to it. I can't remember seeing an u23 so ready for first team football. Absolutely baffled by that one

9 hours ago, Don Said said:

Probably only due to immediate availability.

For what it's worth I really like the look of Wharton, give him a season in league one next year and see if he's ready/good enough for the Championship after that - he's still only 21 so as a centre back he's worth giving time.

The thing is Wharton might be fed-up being shunted out every season and prefer to tale his own chances with another club.

One criticism of TM that resonates with is that he takes too long to give promising youngsters their chance.

Presumably all part of the "esprit de coeur" he tries to create. Translation-----too loyal to his senior players when they don't produce.

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

On the rovers page of NewsNow there's a LT article heading saying we've taken a non league striker on trial. The link doesn't work though when you click in it. Looks like the article was removed. Did anyone see who the striker was? 

Taylor Allen from Nuneaton is who we have on trial.

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Taylor Allen from Nuneaton is who we have on trial.

Best I can find...18 yr old striker who only joined them from Romulus (4 tiers lower than Nuneaton) in January. 9 appearances for Nuneaton, no goals (I think), one assist. MoM on his debut.

Was on trial with Leicester a week ago.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/leicester-trials-for-nuneaton-borough-striker-taylor-allen-4272380#popup-sso

Edited by bluebruce

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Best I can find...18 yr old striker who only joined them from Romulus (4 tiers lower than Nuneaton) in January. 9 appearances for Nuneaton, no goals (I think), one assist. MoM on his debut.

Was on trial with Leicester a week ago.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/leicester-trials-for-nuneaton-borough-striker-taylor-allen-4272380#popup-sso

Surely this kind of link should be in the Academy thread?

This can’t be the kind of player Mowbray is looking to bring in for the first team.

There have been some rumblings from the club about youngsters pushing for loan moves rather than the club shunting them out, relative to Travis, Nyambe, Nuttall, Magloire, etc. sticking around and eventually getting appearances. Probably more in reference to Platt and Hardcastle who went out and hardly played, but Wharton may be pushing for these loans himself too. He's at least played a decent amount with Cambridge, Lincoln, and Bury these past few years, although it was odd he didn't move up to League One this year. I vaguely recall Mowbray saying a L1 loan deal fell through, so he returned to Lincoln as he was well-liked there, but then Lincoln added Shackell a few weeks after Wharton re-signed, who pushed Wharton out of their regular lineup.

I also recall he had a poorly timed injury, accompanied by a poor run of form with the u23s (it was suggested Platt and Grayson had moved ahead of him...), when a spot may have opened up for him at the start of our horrid 16-17 year. (There were also rumours about preventing him from earning an appearance-based raise, but he did sign a new contract last September...)

Probably would be nice to have him around as depth right now, but I don't think his development has necessarily been stunted this year. Still one for the future. Let him compete for a spot in camp next year and then re-evaluate.

Edited by RoverCanada