BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, AJW said:

What concerns me is that we sell Dack and don't get the 4 or 5 players we desperately need we effectively are worse off than were we are now 

This is exactly what would happen, when has selling our best player to invest the funds into the team ever made us stronger?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

Speedie

?

We didn't sell Speedie for 5 mill and invest it in Shearer and Ripley or have I missed your point because I think that is the type of thing he means, apologies if wrong.

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Tony Field?

Anyone in the last 40 years?

46 minutes ago, tomphil said:

?

We didn't sell Speedie for 5 mill and invest it in Shearer and Ripley or have I missed your point because I think that is the type of thing he means, apologies if wrong.

Yeah thats what i meant. Shearer, Duff, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Samba, Jones, Rhodes all sold for mega money, the year after in every case we really struggled.

It's pure fantasy to suggest we'll sell Dack and buy 5 players to become a better team, not a chance it will work that way.

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Anyone in the last 40 years?

Yeah thats what i meant. Shearer, Duff, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Samba, Jones, Rhodes all sold for mega money, the year after in every case we really struggled.

It's pure fantasy to suggest we'll sell Dack and buy 5 players to become a better team, not a chance it will work that way.

Yep just too many demands on the money coming in for a loss making club like Rovers when it's coming in in dribs and drabs over several years it gets swallowed up the same way that's why the only way it would happen is owners stepping In and injecting specific funds there and then to provide the means to buy a new player for big money.  These lot haven't seemed to work that way and post Jack or maybe early trust days it probably hasn't happened at all.

I think that's why when Rhodes was being sold they tried to demand 9 million in one lump with the rest in instalments. If they'd got that Lambert might have got some of the funds he was promised instead of just the headroom on Rhodes wages.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Indeed. Considering the money that's already been available and the calibre of player brought in on those funds... what evidence is there to suggest the Dack money will go towards anything other than a few more mediocre players? Probably more strikers to convert to wingers. 

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Indeed. Considering the money that's already been available and the calibre of player brought in on those funds... what evidence is there to suggest the Dack money will go towards anything other than a few more mediocre players? Probably more strikers to convert to wingers. 

I wouldn't be so sure. It could get spent on central midfielders to convert to centre halves. Or possibly wingers to convert to full backs. Maybe central midfielders to convert to wingers, like Rothwell. The options are limitless (except for signing players to play in their actual positions, that's taboo). We could even sign very expensive players in pretty much any position, to play on the bench. Which may happen increasingly as we  stick strictly to our artists:soldiers ratio regardless of the opposition.

You shouldn't pigeon-hole our transfer plans like that, the world is our oyster (Please note, oysters will be used as sharks, pigeon-holes will be used as badger dens).

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I wouldn't be so sure. It could get spent on central midfielders to convert to centre halves. Or possibly wingers to convert to full backs. Maybe central midfielders to convert to wingers, like Rothwell. The options are limitless (except for signing players to play in their actual positions, that's taboo). We could even sign very expensive players in pretty much any position, to play on the bench. Which may happen increasingly as we  stick strictly to our artists:soldiers ratio regardless of the opposition.

You shouldn't pigeon-hole our transfer plans like that, the world is our oyster (Please note, oysters will be used as sharks, pigeon-holes will be used as badger dens).

This is one of those situations where I want to laugh because it sounds ridiculous, but then I look at the squad we have and the transfer history and.... well...  

• Like 1

In an ideal world i'd go target man, proper midfielder and experienced captain material centre half and i'd be after quality not any old gamble.  Right down the spine of the team and it wouldn't need to upset everything else or massively alter the way he plays it would imo just improve it enough to have a better season than this.

Failing that I wouldn't be adverse to a good centre half, a back up one, a good left back and a decent striker on loan.  All that should be perfectly doable if the other ideal world isn't.

Somehow from inside his dense wooded tree house I think Mr Mowbray will see it completely different to us though.

• Backroom

Left back, right back, centre back and proper competition for Graham are the vital areas for me. We have enough midfielders to adapt to whatever system we employ next season, and if we don't have enough money to replace Raya then he should still be competent enough to not cost us too many points. 

The competition for Graham would be nice, but if we don't go abroad or down the leagues we are talking huge money. I would prefer to focus as much resources as possible on the defence. We have some good young players who can come into midfield; Rothwell, Chapman, Davwenport, Buckley and Butterworth could all freshen things up without us having to spend money there. 

Keeper should be a big priority, a good centre half, a leader in centre mid and a CF... 

So pretty much the spine for our spineless team. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Centre half, centre midfielder, Winger and forward. 4 players that £5 million spent properly would fix.

I don't see how we need a centre midfielder when we have around 11, or a winger when we have Rothwell and Chapman to name but 2 who have barely played this year 

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see how we need a centre midfielder when we have around 11, or a winger when we have Rothwell and Chapman to name but 2 who have barely played this year 

Rothwell isn't a winger. Chapmans not played. I'd want Conway gone next year and Bennet as a rotation player which leaves Chapman as a natural winger and Armstrong because he's got some pace. 

A quality winger is just as important as a left back. I think a quality centre half would make the fallbacks play better because it needs some leadership at the back.

22 hours ago, tomphil said:

?

I know it's not exactly the same but if Speedie hadn't have gone I don't think we would have got Shearer. Anyway it's all opinion not fact.

TM was questioned yesterday by Rich Sharpe about positions he’s looking to fill and he confirmed priority as Cb’s (Plural) and a front line striker to challenge DG.

He wouldn’t rule out a GK, fullbacks and a Cm either. My feeling is that these positions will look to be filled based on what’s available, who leaves and what’s left in the budget after they’ve filled those priority positions.

Edited by Paul Mani
Context

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

TM was questioned yesterday by Rich Sharpe about positions he’s looking to fill and he confirmed priority as Cb’s (Plural) and a front line striker to challenge DG.

He wouldn’t rule out a GK, fullbacks and a Cm either. My feeling is that these positions will look to be filled based on what’s available, who leaves and what’s left in the budget after they’ve filled those priority positions.

Link or is that an interview still to be published? 

Edited by blueboy3333