BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I don't doubt for one minute that Mowbray would like those positions to be improved and would like to get those players in quickly in the summer. If he didn't after what we've witnessed this season I'd be extremely concerned about his judgment. 

But then we come back to the owners and the structure here. What Mowbray would like and what he is going to be allowed/able to get could be two very different things. Does he know what budget he has yet? I doubt it. Does he know what the owners will agree to? Doubt it. Did he know in April or May last year that the Ben Brereton money was coming? Doubt it. 

Will be any different than usual though ?   Two kids on loan from Prem clubs and a free transfer who needs 6 months to get up to speed will cover half the 5 or 6 mooted incomings and won't make a jot of difference.

Be nice if the other two were actually good enough to come straight into the team and dislodge some who continue to hold the shirts despite not being good enough consistently at this level !

• Like 2

I’d be amazed if three of Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Mulgrew don’t start the first game of next season.

What I think we will get - Bauer now seems viable as he will be free. 2 on loan, 2 “for the future” and a striker.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’d be amazed if three of Bennett, Smallwood, Evans, Mulgrew don’t start the first game of next season.

What I think we will get - Bauer now seems viable as he will be free. 2 on loan, 2 “for the future” and a striker.

A new (reserve) keeper has to come in.

On 05/04/2019 at 15:29, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see how we need a centre midfielder when we have around 11, or a winger when we have Rothwell and Chapman to name but 2 who have barely played this year 

We need a good one. Reed is our best one and he won't be here next season, not that he plays there anyway.

Neither Evans or smallwood are good enough. 

The squad overall needs so much work its unbelievable.

23 hours ago, tomphil said:

Will be any different than usual though ?   Two kids on loan from Prem clubs and a free transfer who needs 6 months to get up to speed will cover half the 5 or 6 mooted incomings and won't make a jot of difference.

Be nice if the other two were actually good enough to come straight into the team and dislodge some who continue to hold the shirts despite not being good enough consistently at this level !

The problem in January was he weakened without even using the loan market. Baffling stuff 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The problem in January was he weakened without even using the loan market. Baffling stuff 

It was an odd one and that's why I think the money men have had a say maybe telling him to trim a bit if possible despite what was trotted out.

He's thought i'lll utilise the squad seeing as Rodwell is looking fit and his long term plan for Williams is centre half but it bit us almost straight away and although Downing had his limitations he was tall and a decent header of the ball at least.  Can understand them wanting to let the lad get fixed up but Mowbrays thinking on this for someone so experienced is poor in terms of shunting on a proper centre half for gambles on an injury prone all to prove converted midfielder and a potential converted left back !

I am not in the clear out camp and never have been.

Hopefully Davenport will be a solid replacement for Reed but based on last night we are probably a commanding central defender and one other Prem class player in the squad short of a promotion campaign.

Run of defeats followed by run of wins around the turn of the year showed this squad has the core ability to compete with the best in the Championship especially when adding the talent coming through from the Academy but we somehow need to find a couple of players who will be first names on the team sheet material. 

On 06/04/2019 at 13:29, Stuart said:

A new (reserve) keeper has to come in.

I think we need better than a reserve keeper, bring in someone who's obviously going to improve us in this critical area, some that he can learn from and has to fight tooth and nail to get his spot back from. Can only be good for him, an abvious reserve keeper will keep him on easy street. His complacency has cost us too many points for us to rely on him again next season. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

I hope we don't give up on Reed, and I hope TM is being shrewd by underplaying the situation. Southampton may want to look at him but every player has a price.

If he's affordable, without stopping us from signing the other key positions, it's an absolute no brainer.

The lad is good and is only going to get better. We also know that he fits in to our team which is half of the dilemma solved.

Likelihood is we'd either be rewarded by years of having the type of central midfielder every team needs, or we'd recoup the fee we pay with a tidy profit on top.

Sign him up.

REEEEEDY!

• Like 3

I could see Fielding and Bauer being options as they are both free.

Absolutely need a cm to replace Reed, no way will Davenport be good enough yet.

Striker is a must, as is a full back to challenge Nyambe.

As has been said, anyone hoping for Mulgrew, Evans, Smallwood & Bennett not to play much of a part next season is going to be very disapointed, i'd put my mortgage on at least 3 of them lining up on the opening day of next season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

There is no doubt that this is a crucial summer for Rovers. We’ve got to to look to shift deadwood and build a squad ready to challenge the top 6. But I don’t think it’s a job that is as drastic as people think. People forget that we have a group of core players who are still quite young and will only get better. Nymabe and bell have had there critisms this season and rightly so but in my mind I belive both have the potential to kick on and become decent full backs for us with great pace and power. Having said that they need competition.  A centre half is a must to partner Lenihan, id personally go all out for liam Lindsay of Barnsley, class player. It’s been mentioned by TM in recent weeks but I’d like to see us move to a 433 formation next season, as it suits the way we play with a high intensity and quick transition. I look at the potential of this side and it looks pretty exciting.

raya 

nymabe Lenihan new(Lindsay)bell

travis Reed Dack(advanced)

chapman Armstrong Rothwell

By no means am I saying we need one new player,2 if you count reed, as personally I think we need at least 3/4 which are first team quality and 1/2 who can do a job. A striker, winger, cb and a fullback, and a gk to push raya are a must.

imo Smallwood Williams samuel Conway can all go, with Mulgrew, Evans and bennet being relegated to squad players.

2 hours ago, Don Said said:

I hope we don't give up on Reed, and I hope TM is being shrewd by underplaying the situation. Southampton may want to look at him but every player has a price.

If he's affordable, without stopping us from signing the other key positions, it's an absolute no brainer.

The lad is good and is only going to get better. We also know that he fits in to our team which is half of the dilemma solved.

Likelihood is we'd either be rewarded by years of having the type of central midfielder every team needs, or we'd recoup the fee we pay with a tidy profit on top.

Sign him up.

REEEEEDY!

I think Reed will only be convinced if he is told by Southampton that he's got no chance there and then is told by Mowbray that he's going to be played in his position with us every week. I doubt he'll be keen on coming here to play wide every week.

Southampton will have a rebuild this summer under Hasenhuttl so whilst he might want to have a look at him I'd suspect he'll struggle to get much game time with them.

The galling part will be if we fail to bring him back but then he turns up elsewhere in the Championship.

He should be priority number one and the frustrating thing is that Venkys found millions under the mattress for Brereton yet Reed represents a far safer investment.

• Like 2

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

Controversial opinion, I'd rather keep Williams for centre back cover than Mulgrew. He's a better natural defender than him just with his ability to stand up to forwards more in a physical battle.

Agreed. Williams is actually a decent centre half but a dogger full back. QPR at home Williams was MoM easy whilst at CB. He's quicker, more aggressive and I don't often see him diving in back there, which is good. 

Think back to how many last ditch tackles Mulgrew has had to throw himself into, one against Stoke certainly sticks out but there are countless others, like Maldini said... It's not the sign of a good defender, if you're having to dive in it just highlights poor positional sense and bad organisation. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Controversial opinion, I'd rather keep Williams for centre back cover than Mulgrew. He's a better natural defender than him just with his ability to stand up to forwards more in a physical battle.

I dont think CM is far off retirement to be honest. He cant play more than 5 or 6 games without getting a hamstring injury. 

Could see next season as a squad player will be his last. 

It looks like two cbs will be signed in the summer then. I think TM has given up on trying to turn Rodwell into a CH. He had a few good games in that position but also looked very lost in other games.

The “big money” will be spent on a striker I’d imagine. Dack will likely go so we’ll need an “in the hole” player too. Reed will have bigger ambitions than being at a mid table championship club. I can see one of the relegated clubs spending big on him. He won’t stay here. 

An interesting summer ahead. 

• Like 1

Dack won't go to the premier league. He's a good player but doesn't have the speed to be effective enough. The most dangerous team who might take him is Fulham who will be in the championship next year.

He doesn't have the mentality for the top league.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

It looks like two cbs will be signed in the summer then. I think TM has given up on trying to turn Rodwell into a CH. He had a few good games in that position but also looked very lost in other games.

The “big money” will be spent on a striker I’d imagine. Dack will likely go so we’ll need an “in the hole” player too. Reed will have bigger ambitions than being at a mid table championship club. I can see one of the relegated clubs spending big on him. He won’t stay here. 

An interesting summer ahead. 

If Dack goes this summer, the adjective would not be "interesting" more "terrifying." 

All conjecture I realise on your part.

I'd certainly let Rodwell go one or two got starry eyed after he played a few good games and like Mulgrew he has quality with the ball but as a centre half in this league he'll never be consistent, too casual and just not what we need at the min.

Worth looking at him and giving it a go no harm done but those kind of wages can be used better imo, a luxury player and we have that already in Mulgrew.

As for the Smallwood / Evans axis it has now become Willowe or Lowev far too much for my liking and with Travis emerging it would be a Trav-esty to waste his talent in favour of those two every week.  Only solution is remove the temptation and get shut of one of them so revert to type isn't an option anymore.