BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

You already have, you've just not said which one.

Weird? You 'splashed' on here that you speak to current league managers and coaches. I was just asking you who they were. If you can't remember that's fine. 

That's a revelation. Cheers.

Without a name that's a fairly meaningless statement. It's there to add weight to your argument, I get that,  but it actually detracts from it. If the basis of your argument is unquantifiable then you have no argument. It just comes across as 'make belief'. Which brings us back to Walter Mitty….

The  "Chaddy" reply ;)

A nice nod to the chadster. Whatever happened that guy? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I don’t want opposition managers to tell us that Mowbray and Venus are good coaches.

I want our football and results to be the judge of that.

It’s all well and good calling things “negative rhetoric” to try to shut down other’s opinions but it doesn’t mean jack out in the “real world” where we’ve had two wins and one draw in 12 matches and the manager publicly states that he prefers the midfield line up that played in the 9 defeats.

Stick to discussing the issues and stop calling people negative just because you don’t like “the truth” to be dealt with in facts.

The “Truth” is that the manager is doing his job and on track to meet his target for the season. It’s really that simple.

The rest is just pure waffle. Now back to transfers...

• Moderation Lead

If pointing out that choosing two superior central midfielders has led to us to our only two wins in our last twelve is negative rhetoric, then fair enough.

I just think the above and other observations are people expressing frustration at the same mistakes happening time and again.

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

If pointing out that choosing two superior central midfielders has led to us to our only two wins in our last twelve is negative rhetoric, then fair enough.

I just think the above and other observations are people expressing frustration at the same mistakes happening time and again.

I think that was fair to point out. 

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The  "Chaddy" reply ;)

A nice nod to the chadster. Whatever happened that guy? 

Mate, they’re absolutely obsessed with knowing who it is and if you can’t name them then you must be lying. ???

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I might also be able to get an opinion on Whitehead from Doncaster from someone who I think will have worked with him directly last season 

You'd be asking about the wrong person then. Its Whiteman.....

In fact, he was more impressed with Hull and their manager. 

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not splashing that all over here pal. I spoke once on one person and it resulted in lots of similar but weird reactions like yours. Because it turns out that some don’t want any real insight or direct opinion. They just want to be amongst others who share their (usually negative) rhetoric.

You do know that people in football are just people? They’re not make belief? That they live in and around us? They have friends and friends of friends like anyone else...

The person who said that TM and Veno are very good coaches is a current league manager. I might also be able to get an opinion on Whitehead from Doncaster from someone who I think will have worked with him directly last season.

If you don’t believe me, that’s fine. I’m genuinely not bothered either way. I was just making a point to you in my previous post.

You've only got to listen to the opinions of various ex pro members of the football panels to realise they aren't the fountain of all football wisdom. That's why dozens of managers get fired every year, they get more things wrong than they get right.

• Like 2

Being good coaches doesn't always transfer to being a good first team manager who's sole aim is to put results first.  Some seem to put players first and giving them games, developing them as priority.  Bowyer was a good case in point and TM comes across as very much a players man.

That model will give you stability and harmony within the club and probably produce the odd player or two to sell for big money and keep the agents happy moving lesser ones, freebies and loans in and out.

It's unlikely to win you promotion or drive you up the league season after season though.  Just what is the real remit from the owners at Rovers I wonder..?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've only got to listen to the opinions of various ex pro members of the football panels to realise they aren't the fountain of all football wisdom. That's why dozens of managers get fired every year, they get more things wrong than they get right.

That’s true. I didn’t say they were right, but surely it was worth mentioning?

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You'd be asking about the wrong person then. Its Whiteman.....

In fact, he was more impressed with Hull and their manager. 

Sorry, I meant Whiteman and an opinion of him as a player ??

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

Alan Judge (I know 3rd time) has stood out for me at Ipswich his deal is up in the summer as only signed for Ipswich for six months. 

Reed Travis 

Dack Rothwell Judge

that looks balanced to me for little outlay if he’s entertain coming back again

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Alan Judge (I know 3rd time) has stood out for me at Ipswich his deal is up in the summer as only signed for Ipswich for six months. 

Reed Travis 

Dack Rothwell Judge

Rather we tried to add a bit of height to the team.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Reed Travis 

Dack Rothwell Judge

Judge has signed a permanent contract with  Ipswich until 2021.

Edited by blondie
add info

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Reed Travis 

Dack Rothwell Judge

Might need to sign Reed before worrying about signing Judge.

Oh and a manager to play that midfield.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Might need to sign Reed before worrying about signing Judge.

Oh and a manager to play that midfield.

I looked at Reeds celebrating Rothwell midweek and again on the club highlights channel, looked ecstatic I didn’t know whether it was a look of this is what we can do, show the faith type or generally just happily playing his football here.

If saints stay up I’m not sure he’d be in their plans and I’m positive a top team failing to go up like a Leeds, Villa, Stoke, Derby type must be keeping an eye out. For me he’s a standout midfield player wise at this level who’s been criminally underused centrally and shunted wide half the time. He reminds me of a box to box player someone who can get back tackle, someone to bring a ball forward. No wonder his best games come in a 3 man midfield centrally where he’s not running for his partner I.e smallwood. A bit like our own Steven Reid/Gary Flitcroft type without the rocket, Steve sidwell type. Him box to box and a true Mokoena axe type behind and Someone to complement him with a bit more flair maybe Travis with his passing is the way forward. That said said I’ve stuck him behind 3 flair players with Travis centrally to get some width and creativity up top to cater for Graham.

We need that stamina in the middle and drive. We ain’t going to beat relegated PL teams by either hoofing to Graham or triangles taka but we can be a steely team in the sheff Utd mode.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 4

Just now, Scotland1 said:

I looked at Reeds celebrating Rothwell midweek and again on the club highlights channel, looked ecstatic I didn’t know whether it was a look of this is what we can do, show the faith type or generally just happily playing his football here.

If saints stay up I’m not sure he’d be in their plans and I’m positive a top team failing to go up like a Leeds, Villa, Stoke, Derby type must be keeping an eye out. For me he’s a standout midfield player wise at this level who’s been criminally underused centrally and shunted wide half the time. He reminds me of a box to box player someone who can get back tackle, someone to bring a ball forward. No wonder his best games come in a 3 man midfield centrally where he’s not running for his partner I.e smallwood. A bit like our own Steven Reid/Gary Flitcroft type without the rocket, Steve sidwell type. Him box to box and a true Mokoena axe type behind and Someone to complement him with a bit more flair maybe Travis with his passing is the way forward. That said said I’ve stuck him behind 3 flair players with Travis centrally to get some width and creativity up top to cater for Graham.

We need that stamina in the middle and drive. We ain’t going to beat relegated PL teams by either hoofing to Graham or triangles taka but we can be a steely team in the sheff Utd mode.

Don’t disagree with any of that.

The real question though is: does Mowbray agree with you?

It's likely to be limited funds but if it's something similar to what they initially outlayed on Armstrong & Brereton then it could be put to good use. Strengthen that defence even if it's only one good centre half, remould the midfield - get Reed back on loan if possible and get rid of one of the sittters out on loan or sell- then add a striker from somewhere.

Any back up freebies should again be concentrated on defence.

That is doable and not major changes or big turn around in players to bed in but is Tony bold enough to replace Mulgrew as first choice and pick one of Evans or Smallwood to move on and can he see the sense in getting DG some real back up ???

Edited by tomphil

Obviously a bigger budgets helps but that isn't the main concern for me. 

We spent ten million and we are not much better off as a team.

There a bargains and frees to be had everywhere if you have the right knowledge and scouting systems in place. 

My main concern is the manager capable of picking a formation that works best for the players we have and can he highlight the right areas of weakness and bring in better than what we have. Will he be ruthless enough to risk upsetting players who have served him well to push this team to the next level either by selling, loaning, releasing or dropping to back up.

Is he brave enough to give the younger lads a chance before it's to late i.e O'Connell ( I know that wasn't Tony but a prime example non the less).

If you take out breretons fee who, if we're honest, went on loan the day we signed him, it wouldn't of made any difference and we would have spent under two million. 

We all want a healthy budget but ultimately it's the manager who makes a team. 

Some big spenders won't go up this season and some well drilled unit ala Cardiff last and Sheffield united this will. That's not the budget , thats the manager and coaching staff.

I honestly believe you give tony 20-30 million we wouldn't go up due to the way he sets us up to be negative and fail and that's before some of the garbage he would waste it on

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

I often read the boards of opposing teams after a result and of all our players, Reeds name, alongside Dack is the one that most commonly mentioned by opposing fans as to someone they'd like to sign judging on the performance. Again, both those two were mentioned by fans of Derby on their boards as players they could do with.

If fans are noticing Reed, you'd have to expect that other clubs are too. Our form and the way Reed has constantly been played out of position might have scuppered our chances of bringing him in permanently. If he was played week in, week out in CM, we might have been top of his list should he move on (perhaps even ahead of higher placed teams) but now I think he would have no problems choosing another club over ours if he was promised a central berth..

• Like 2

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can't argue with that although I think we are covered for AM unless Dack goes.  I'd like to see another natural wide player in.

I think we are covered for AM even if Dack goes. Where we are not covered is LB.