BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

58 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think it’s pretty much all to do with the managers beliefs. If he believes that Raya and Bell are not good enough then he has no option but to replace them. If he believes their inconsistency is due to their age and that they are worth persevering with then...

Raya has played all season with the managers unwaiverimg belief in him and made loads of point-costing mistakes,  not to mention his shit kicking and game reading.   He's a flapper and our patchy defence needs a calming influence behind it.  Plus , I think he's too small ultimately to be a first class goalie. 

Bell is exactly the opposite situation. Here is a lad with ability,  perhaps not as a defender, but he's been playing well and then dropped for Williams the next game etc...its gone on all season swapping and changing...

Basically, mowbray is poor 

Agree a lot of the needless swapping and changing has to stop and a few noses need putting out of joint but he seems to have most faith in the ones most fans don't so I wouldn't expect too many changes.

Raya is a tricky one but all keepers especially at this level cost the odd goal but it is a common theme with him which is worrying. It's ok saying he saved as many points as he's given away but that's not what a keeper is supposed to do, he's there just to save goals and points not strike a balance between what he costs and what he gains, that's Mulgrew territory again.

Can't have two like that in the same defence if you want to get somewhere i'm afraid.

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Maybe, but defensively, Bell is awful. Doesn’t get close enough to his man, rarely stops a cross coming in, and has a tendency to commit shocking errors.

Who signed him?

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But surely its more logical to improve the weakest parts of the team first rather than where our best player this season plays, without discounting that we do need competition for him and the player he spent 7m on looks more of a joke with each passing game.

I don't care what order the positions are filled, to be honest. So long as we don't spunk our budget on the striker at the cost of getting the right defenders.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree a lot of the needless swapping and changing has to stop and a few noses need putting out of joint but he seems to have most faith in the ones most fans don't so I wouldn't expect too many changes.

Good point. If you asked TM who our 5 most important players were, I reckon he would answer something like (in no order):

Bennett, Dack, Graham, Mulgrew, Evans.

The fans would agree on D&G but none of the rest.

If we pushed it to say, 8, he'd likely add Raya, Smallwood and Lenihan.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

I think there is hope with Raya. He is frustrating rather than infuriating.

Raya has fantastic potential. He was voted into the league team of the year last season and started this season well. It’s no surprise that a young keeper is targeted whilst results were poor. He’s made some bad decisions this season, in particular since Christmas but no more than the likes of Dack, Mulgrew etc...keepers mistakes are naturally higher profile.

I’d be happy for us to sign a keeper with experience who can actually push Raya. 

Bell and Mulgrew need replacing in the back line.

Smallwoods time is up. The midfield should be lead by Travis plus one with Davenport Evans and the under 23’s (Buckley / RC) backing up.

We can’t hope that Graham will fire us into the playoff spots.

• Like 3

Been off here for a while, struggled for time to contribute. Have been to most home games, none away.  But been keeping in touch with opinion on here and feel overall that we are likely to finish about where we could have optimistically hoped for at the start of the season.  Comfortably safe in the end, with some cracking performances / results mixed with dross, consistency is the key which we've not had. Our season started off excellently, hit a big wobble, recovered excellently in January, then was truly awful before picking up again this month. If our form had been spread out more evenly I don't think anyone would have complained. (much!)

I agree that it was disappointing not to kick on after January or strengthen, but am not too hung up about it. I believe this summer was always pinpointed as critical to the development plan, and wholly trust TM with that. No he's not perfect and he's made mistakes; if he was perfect, we wouldn't have him.  But I believe he has this club's best interests at heart and knows enough about the game and enough contacts & respect within the game to be worthy of sticking with.

In terms of personnel, my quick views below in an ideal world (those starred will not happen):

Raya - keep. Young & nervy at times, but who wouldn't be behind this defence recently? Needs to competition & / or better coaching.

Nyambe - keep. Needs developing but has all the basic attributes.

Bennett - keep. Limited in many respects but can fulfil numerous roles if needed to a reasonable standard. Def one to have in the squad.

Lenihan - grown in stature, key to us going forward.

Williams - keep. Shown he can be a decent squad option, esp at CB.

* Bell - replace. Has ability but rarely shows it. Defensively poor, and his marauding' promising  runs up the line always inexplicably stop at half way for some reason.

Mu!grew - keep. That stat in the Forest thread re more points w/o him than with him in half the games is concerning, but he has enough to warrant another season.

Rodwell - keep if reasonably priced wages wise. Would have him in a holding midfield, shielding defence.

Smallwood - sell. Served his time, been good for us, but not good enough to fight for promotion.

* Evans - too inconsistent. Does not seem bothered too often, & to negative in an attacking sense.

* Reed - sign if financially viable. Played out of position too often for my liking, but his reaction to 1st goal v Derby suggests to me he still enjoys being here.

Travis - keep of course

Davenport - keep. Sounds like he has lots of promise, hopefully gets a good preseason & clean slate.

Rothwell - keep. Been excellent this month, clearly offers something different & worries defences.  Helps spread our points of attack across the field.

Chapman - keep. Could be massive for us next season a la Rothwell.  If they can interchange, oppo fullbacks will be pinned back & get no despite from direct running.

Conway - keep. Controversial but clearly good to have around & can teach a lot about getting wide & crossing. Quasi coaching role for him?

Armstrong - keep. Like him, albeit inconsistent. I think he'd benefit from a bit of a free roll across the front

* Brereton - loan & replace. Feel for the lad, huge expectations, not been able to a niece due to Graham's form. Needs a confidence building season elsewhere.

Dack - keep. Struggled of late but still got good stats cross season. If (big if) he can concentrate on football him, Rothwell, Armstrong & Chapman can really shine next season; the pace and craft in that quartet would cause problems for most defences.

Nuttall - loan.  Has a finish in him, big lad, could be a long term Graham replacement.

Graham - been immense this season, love him. Still got at least another season, tho I would expect / hope he will be used more sparingly to blood a replacement.

* Samuel - loan / sell. Might benefit from a full season elsewhere & return with strength & confidence & something to offer.

Gladwin - leave obviously. I guess we'll never know if he's better than Dack. Think I'll still sleep at night though.

Leutweiler - replace. If he's never going to play what's the point? Seems a good pro tho from what I hear so good luck to him.

Loanees - Hart can leave, Wharton leave or integrate if good enough (I've no idea if he's progressing), other youngsters I can't comment on.

U23s - give some time this season, then loan out unless they really pull up trees in their cameos (Buckley, Butterworth, McGloire, Rankin-Costello, Fisher)

Incomings - GK to actually challenge Raya, brute CB (Bauer? But never seen him), LB, CM who can dictate play, experienced CF, winger (Freeman / Edwards?)

Monday - keep. A good fit for us but this summer's recruitment is key, as is a good August - December. I'd expect at least to be on the cusp off playoffs at Christmas but then to actually kick on into the NY and to properly strengthen in Jan where required.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Incomings - GK to actually challenge Raya, brute CB (Bauer? But never seen him), LB, CM who can dictate play, experienced CF, winger (Freeman/Edwards).

That’s the list.

GK

2 x Centre Halfs

Left Back

Centre Midfielder

Right Winger

Striker

7 quality first team signings needed to push for playoffs.

OUT: Mulgrew, Smallwood, Conway and Brereton(Loan).

Raya is a strange one he's saved us plenty of points with his shot stopping but he has also cost us plenty of points with his decision making. What Raya needs is an experienced goalkeeping coach who has played the game at a good level to come in and work with him on his decision making.

I wouldn't be looking to bring in a new number 1 as it would cost a lot of money and we have other positions where it is imperative to spend those larger fees. Also I look at teams like Villa, West Brom and Leeds who have all spent big sums on keepers or Sheff Utd who have a prem loan and I don't think that any of them have got anything significantly better than Raya.

What we do need is a number 2 who is going to put pressure on Raya, Leutwieler has always done fine in the little that I have seen of him however it's clear that the manager has little faith in him. I think he was signed to make sure we didn't during internationals last season.

• Like 2

If I was making a list by position of what needs replaced/upgraded by importance I'm not certain GK (Raya) would be in my top 5 honestly.

CB, CM, LB, Striker and RW all need looked at as a priority, some positions more than 1 player.

CM would be filled by Reed, and Graham has another year but needs some actually competition. I don't ever see Chapman getting a go at RW and Williams have proven he is #3 or #4 CB but not a LB.

Raya could be worth MILLIONS in a few years, back him. Let's get his face and the back four fixed and give him the benefit of another year. Same with Nyambe.

If you said we would have 4 new starters next season I'd hope for CB, LB, RW and CM (Reed?) way before I looked at replacing Raya.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

If I was making a list by position of what needs replaced/upgraded by importance I'm not certain GK (Raya) would be in my top 5 honestly.

CB, CM, LB, Striker and RW all need looked at as a priority, some positions more than 1 player.

CM would be filled by Reed, and Graham has another year but needs some actually competition. I don't ever see Chapman getting a go at RW and Williams have proven he is #3 or #4 CB but not a LB.

Raya could be worth MILLIONS in a few years, back him. Let's get his face and the back four fixed and give him the benefit of another year. Same with Nyambe.

If you said we would have 4 new starters next season I'd hope for CB, LB, RW and CM (Reed?) way before I looked at replacing Raya.

CB to replace Mulgrew, plus another for cover

LB to replace Bell in the starting XI

GK to replace - or as a minimum genuinely push Raya (Definitely in the top 5, not least because Benchweiler is leaving)

ST to replace Graham

CM to replace Reed

• Backroom

We have to be realistic about who is going to leave in the summer. It's easy to suggest Mowbray is ruthless and he should get rid of Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans, Williams, etc, but who's buying? We just gave them all sparkly new contracts so I don't think it's feasible to believe any of them will be moving on. It's unfortunate but that's the consequence of Mowbray's much discussed loyalty. 

The only players I can see leaving this summer are Leutwiler, Reed (loan ending), Rodwell (may decide he can get more game time elsewhere), Samuel (loan), Nuttall (loan), Downing and Conway (may stay on in some kind of coaching capacity).

Other than Reed it's unlikely we are going to be moving on any regular first teamers. This will limit our wage bill and the amount of bodies we are likely to be able to bring in. The best we can realistically hope for in terms of transfers, imo, is a centre back, a centre-midfielder, a backup goalkeeper and a new striker. I'd be surprised if we get much more than that. Possibly a left back also if Mowbray decides Williams is a better option at centre back. 

I imagine we'll see a few more step up from the U23's next season to fill the voids left by the likes of Samuel. Nuttall and Conway. That's not necessarily a bad thing but could leave us over-reliant on youngsters should the injury-bug strike again. I don't think we'll be anywhere near strong enough to compete for a playoff spot and would instead expect another tough season where consolidation is the goal. In theory yes, bringing in a good CB, a CM on a similar level to Reed, a better striker than Brereton and somebody to push Raya for the no1 GK spot should make us stronger, but that relies on Tony not only getting every transfer spot on but also playing those players ahead of the established favourites, and in their actual positions as opposed to the usual square pegs in round holes. The manager's past history doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic in that regard. 

26 minutes ago, DE. said:

We have to be realistic about who is going to leave in the summer. It's easy to suggest Mowbray is ruthless and he should get rid of Mulgrew, Smallwood, Evans, Williams, etc, but who's buying? We just gave them all sparkly new contracts so I don't think it's feasible to believe any of them will be moving on. It's unfortunate but that's the consequence of Mowbray's much discussed loyalty. 

The only players I can see leaving this summer are Leutwiler, Reed (loan ending), Rodwell (may decide he can get more game time elsewhere), Samuel (loan), Nuttall (loan), Downing and Conway (may stay on in some kind of coaching capacity).

Other than Reed it's unlikely we are going to be moving on any regular first teamers. This will limit our wage bill and the amount of bodies we are likely to be able to bring in. The best we can realistically hope for in terms of transfers, imo, is a centre back, a centre-midfielder, a backup goalkeeper and a new striker. I'd be surprised if we get much more than that. Possibly a left back also if Mowbray decides Williams is a better option at centre back. 

I imagine we'll see a few more step up from the U23's next season to fill the voids left by the likes of Samuel. Nuttall and Conway. That's not necessarily a bad thing but could leave us over-reliant on youngsters should the injury-bug strike again. I don't think we'll be anywhere near strong enough to compete for a playoff spot and would instead expect another tough season where consolidation is the goal. In theory yes, bringing in a good CB, a CM on a similar level to Reed, a better striker than Brereton and somebody to push Raya for the no1 GK spot should make us stronger, but that relies on Tony not only getting every transfer spot on but also playing those players ahead of the established favourites, and in their actual positions as opposed to the usual square pegs in round holes. The manager's past history doesn't leave me feeling very optimistic in that regard. 

Seems like a fairly reasonable assessment of what's going to happen

This season we've also seen a lot of our U23 players signed up to new contracts. 

Mowbray might even play the "I want to see which players can step up in pre season before going to the transfer market" line.

Budget is also a factor, I can't see us having a lot to spend when we signed AA/BB for decent money. Realistically, we aren't going to have the budget we need to replace all the players that need it. 

No idea how Mowbray will prioritise transfers but I would hope he has critical positions that need sorting first to avoid wasting what money we have and then he will get what he can after that.

I can't see him being ultra ruthless or like you say, people queuing up to take our dross either.

Could be interesting this summer, could be one gigantic damp squib.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Probably buy a few more midfielders to be on the safe side.

In jest, you hit the nail on the head.  We have a squad full of lower half championship/top half L1 midfield players/defenders on long contracts with big influence in the dressing room.  The team needs 3/4 young fit quality top half championship players but the dynamics of the dressing room won't allow it to happen as it should.

Therefore,  I expect not much to change in the summer and us facing a relegation fight for much of the season 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

In jest, you hit the nail on the head.  We have a squad full of lower half championship/top half L1 midfield players/defenders on long contracts with big influence in the dressing room.  The team needs 3/4 young fit quality top half championship players but the dynamics of the dressing room won't allow it to happen as it should.

Therefore,  I expect not much to change in the summer and us facing a relegation fight for much of the season 

Evans, Conway, Bennett, Mulgrew, Graham,  et al will still be running the dressing room in August

• Like 1