BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

On 14/04/2019 at 00:19, bluebruce said:

Good point. If you asked TM who our 5 most important players were, I reckon he would answer something like (in no order):

Bennett, Dack, Graham, Mulgrew, Evans.

The fans would agree on D&G but none of the rest.

If we pushed it to say, 8, he'd likely add Raya, Smallwood and Lenihan.

Think that's a bit harsh. If you go off who makes the team sheet when fit every game his top players are Raya, Lenihan, Bell, Bennett, Travis, Dack, Graham.

Based on who've we got in the squad the only one I'd quibble with is Bennett who I'd have Nyambe over.

It's taken him a while to see the light but he has now. After his two goals I think Rothwell should have locked down his place also.

If Reed is unavailable for whatever reason it will be interesting to see who Mowbray partners Trav with. I'd be tempted to go with a youth player (Davenport?) as Rodwell is unlikely to stay and Evans and Smallwood just aren't good enough. I'd do the same with the centreback partner for Lenihan (Magloire?) if Williams form dips again. I do admit however it's more likely we'll see more of Evans, Mulgrew and Smallwood before the season is out.

• Backroom
On 16/04/2019 at 08:27, blueboy3333 said:

Has anyone seen Bauer play? I think he's only been fit since Christmas after his injury. We seem to be putting a lot of faith in the manger who bought Bell to be able to recognise a good defender. 

Mowbray's not bought a good defender yet - Downing, Bell, Caddis, Hart - all either average or dreadful

Bauer seems to have developed a bit of a mythical status on here... but why is he playing in League 1 at 26 years old if he's that good? Not saying he can't make the step up but we should probably exercise some caution. 

• Like 6

Has anyone read TMs last two interviews in the LET? His comments to me read as if we are looking at backup players in the summer rather than overhauling the first team starting 11. A bit concerning that we will continue to see Evans, Bennett, Smallwood and Williams in the starting line up next year. 

From today:

"What we have to do if the injuries come again next year is have players chomping at the bit behind and not just have young players coming in."

Yesterday:

"They’re doing great and yet I feel if we’re going to be right at the top end of the Championship next season then we need to find some players who are competing with this lot to give us more depth for when the injuries do come along."

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

Bauer seems to have developed a bit of a mythical status on here,,, but why is he playing in League 1 at 26 years old if he's that good? Not saying he can't make the step up but we should probably exercise some caution. 

I don't think anyone has built him up it's just everyone is expecting that one to go through. 

I saw him play against Sunderland at the start of the season, big chap seemed OK but impossible to judge a centre half in league 1 to see if he could play in this league. 

Just now, benhben said:

Has anyone read TMs last two interviews in the LET? His comments to me read as if we are looking at backup players in the summer rather than overhauling the first team starting 11. A bit concerning that we will continue to see Evans, Bennett, Smallwood and Williams in the starting line up next year. 

From today:

"What we have to do if the injuries come again next year is have players chomping at the bit behind and not just have young players coming in."

Yesterday:

"They’re doing great and yet I feel if we’re going to be right at the top end of the Championship next season then we need to find some players who are competing with this lot to give us more depth for when the injuries do come along."

Remember, what media Mowbray says... Manager Mowbray does the other. 

Just now, Neal said:

I don't think anyone has built him up it's just everyone is expecting that one to go through. 

I saw him play against Sunderland at the start of the season, big chap seemed OK but impossible to judge a centre half in league 1 to see if he could play in this league. 

If Bauer is decent and available on a free then I'd imagine that it's far from a forgone conclusion that he's joining Rovers. If there's no competition for his signature then that would concern me.

Just now, benhben said:

From today:

Yesterday:

Once again it comes back to my suspicion that Mowbray is going to have some difficulties in India in May if he turns up and requests a substantial budget to replace existing players. Turning up and telling them that they need to replace most of those they gave new deals to this time last year perhaps won't go down very well. A much easier sell to tell them that we only need extra depth and back-up.

I still have memories of Lambert expecting 'big hitters' to arrive in the summer and then it becoming clear that they wouldn't allow that to happen.

18 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

If Bauer is decent and available on a free then I'd imagine that it's far from a forgone conclusion that he's joining Rovers. If there's no competition for his signature then that would concern me.

If Charlton go up he might sign a new contract.

Charlton fought tooth and nail to keep him to the point the risked loosing him on a free so he must have something

35 minutes ago, benhben said:

From today:

Yesterday:

I don't want competition for our League 1 squad, I want replacements for the ones who have proved to be not good enough this season. Not competition we need per se  but talent. That's why I'm so furious about extended contracts. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhben said:

From today:

Yesterday:

Concerning but not unexpected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhben said:

From today:

Yesterday:

Does Mowbray not see the goals against column? Does he not see Raya going walkabouts? I could go on. God help us.

Mowbray will fight tooth and nail to keep and play those he, for reasons best known to himself, awarded contract extensions to.

OK all we can do is wait and see but I for one expect to be disappointed by a quiet Summer window.

Think about this, if Mulgrew goes then Bennett will be our Club Captain.

8 hours ago, philipl said:

Bauer's partner at centre back at Charlton is in the L1 team of the week but not Bauer.

Team of the week or team of the season? It's irrelevant who makes team of the week.

On a poll on one of the Bolton websites, of the people out of contract, David Wheater, is one of the only people they'd vote to keep.

Not saying he's the right option but I'd be happy bringing in Bauer and a taller, experienced head at centre half.

• Like 1

Said many times and will continue to say it, at least 4, maybe even 5 of Raya, Mulgrew, Williams, Bennett, Evans & Smallwood will start the first game of next season.

There will no way be a complete overhaul.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hasta said:

On a poll on one of the Bolton websites, of the people out of contract, David Wheater, is one of the only people they'd vote to keep.

Not saying he's the right option but I'd be happy bringing in Bauer and a taller, experienced head at centre half.

Weren't we linked with Wheater last summer?

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Would have no issues with Wheater as a 4th/5th choice CB.

I would...I'm not interested in signing cover, I want a first and 2nd/3rd choice CB, with the others pushed to being 3rd, 4th and 5th choices. Lenihan may be good enough to stay starting.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Said many times and will continue to say it, at least 4, maybe even 5 of Raya, Mulgrew, Williams, Bennett, Evans & Smallwood will start the first game of next season.

There will no way be a complete overhaul.

I don't believe a complete overhaul is needed but if we are serious about promotion real grit is needed in the heart of the defence and both full back positions need sorting- either a sports psychologist getting into the heads of Bell and Nyambe or new blood. Combined with some of the players who have ripped through the u-23 league in the second half of the season getting a chance, I think we may well already have some of the foundations of a promotion winning side at Ewood.

Mowbray of course has to pick his strongest side which means no starting place for most of those you mention. Raya would start for me because I would like to see him given a chance behind a defence he could rely on.  

• Like 1

We don't need an overhaul, but I don't think it's just a case of sprinkling a few new faces in.

If we truly fancy ourselves to flirt with the play off spots next season, I think we need 6-8 additions.

3/4 new faces in the starting 11, 2/3/4 new faces on the bench.

In no particular priority order I would like to try and stretch the transfer budget over:

1x Tall Goalkeeper, competition for Raya but good enough for the #1 shirt.

2x Centre Backs. One to walk in to the first 11, One to try and break in.

1x Left Back for the starting 11.

1x Right back to compete with Nyambe.

1x Harrison Reed or similar

1x Striker to compete with DG

*I would add a winger to the above but we might just get away with Rothwell/Chapman/Arma/Conway/Bennett if the rest of the side is strong enough. Would be nice to see another actual winger come in though, if possible & not at the expense of another position.

I don't know our budget for next season. But if the total sum we spent last summer is anything to go off, the above might just be doable.

A couple of the players would likely require a decent transfer fee but the rest would be doable.

Look through some of the decent championship teams from this season and you'll find a lot of the goalkeepers and full backs came cheap.

A couple of the signings would have to be loans.

It's doable. This wouldn't be drastic at all but as Jack said - Think Big.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Don Said said:

We don't need an overhaul, but I don't think it's just a case of sprinkling a few new faces in.

If we truly fancy ourselves to flirt with the play off spots next season, I think we need 6-8 additions.

3/4 new faces in the starting 11, 2/3/4 new faces on the bench.

In no particular priority order I would like to try and stretch the transfer budget over:

1x Tall Goalkeeper, competition for Raya but good enough for the #1 shirt.

2x Centre Backs. One to walk in to the first 11, One to try and break in.

1x Left Back for the starting 11.

1x Right back to compete with Nyambe.

1x Harrison Reed or similar

1x Striker to compete with DG

*I would add a winger to the above but we might just get away with Rothwell/Chapman/Arma/Conway/Bennett if the rest of the side is strong enough. Would be nice to see another actual winger come in though, if possible & not at the expense of another position.

I don't know our budget for next season. But if the total sum we spent last summer is anything to go off, the above might just be doable.

A couple of the players would likely require a decent transfer fee but the rest would be doable.

Look through some of the decent championship teams from this season and you'll find a lot of the goalkeepers and full backs came cheap.

A couple of the signings would have to be loans.

It's doable. This wouldn't be drastic at all but as Jack said - Think Big.

Pretty much agree with that. I doubt that will materialise though.

IF the budget is the same as last year, then £8-10 million can go a very long way in this league, even spread across 6+ players, provided the homework is done properly.

It seems as time goes by the dealings last summer were poorly thought out. Whether that be because the original targets didn't come to fruition or because Venkys mucked around with funds and only coughed up at the 11th hour. Either way we made a mess of it considering the cash spent. I'm not writing Brereton off yet and I hope for his and our sakes he develops but his return this season has been poor and given the cost a waste of money. No other club spends that much money on players to develop.

I don't think 6 new players or more is drastic. We're almost sure to see the back of that number due to contract expiry and loans ending so in theory the same number but better quality should be brought in.

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Pretty much agree with that. I doubt that will materialise though.

IF the budget is the same as last year, then £8-10 million can go a very long way in this league, even spread across 6+ players, provided the homework is done properly.

It seems as time goes by the dealings last summer were poorly thought out. Whether that be because the original targets didn't come to fruition or because Venkys mucked around with funds and only coughed up at the 11th hour. Either way we made a mess of it considering the cash spent. I'm not writing Brereton off yet and I hope for his and our sakes he develops but his return this season has been poor and given the cost a waste of money. No other club spends that much money on players to develop.

I don't think 6 new players or more is drastic. We're almost sure to see the back of that number due to contract expiry and loans ending so in theory the same number but better quality should be brought in.

I doubt it will look as good as that on paper either, but here's hoping.

Eitherway I'm sure this time round the plan will be calculated and more focused on adding to the squad and strengthening a few areas, rather than punting on one or two youngsters. Whatever the plan is, we need to stick to it, and we need to play the game properly.

1) Targets identified from day 1

2) Move quickly

3) If target 1 isn't playing ball after a reasonable offer, move on to the next.

Signings need as much pre season time as possible. I undertand it's a tough market in which clubs are reluctant to sell without having a replacement lined up, but in reality if we offer a players value rather than low-balling, deals can and will be done quickly. We must avoid another window in which we let things drag on, miss all of our targets and end up with either nothing or something not worth having.

Ofcourse all of this relies on the Venky traffic light remaining firmly on green throughout the window.

I hope there is plenty going on behind  the scenes, but I have my doubts. 

It will be "oh we we had to wait to see what division Charlton are in before finalising Bauer". At which point we will be competing with everyone else again. At this point we know we will be in the championship next season, we need to use this luxury and get ahead of our rivals. 

If someone like Bauer won't make their mind up quickly, move on. Move on and strengthen early. It's a must. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2