BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

2 hours ago, Don Said said:

We don't need an overhaul, but I don't think it's just a case of sprinkling a few new faces in.

If we truly fancy ourselves to flirt with the play off spots next season, I think we need 6-8 additions.

3/4 new faces in the starting 11, 2/3/4 new faces on the bench.

In no particular priority order I would like to try and stretch the transfer budget over:

1x Tall Goalkeeper, competition for Raya but good enough for the #1 shirt.

2x Centre Backs. One to walk in to the first 11, One to try and break in.

1x Left Back for the starting 11.

1x Right back to compete with Nyambe.

1x Harrison Reed or similar

1x Striker to compete with DG

*I would add a winger to the above but we might just get away with Rothwell/Chapman/Arma/Conway/Bennett if the rest of the side is strong enough. Would be nice to see another actual winger come in though, if possible & not at the expense of another position.

You say we don't need an overhaul but 6-8 new player is basically an overhaul of the squad.

I would like to see some of these young lads slot in somewhere too.

For me  the squad would ideally be:

Keepers: Raya, New Keeper to challenge him, Fisher

Right Back: Nyambe, New right back to compete,

Left Back: New starting left back, Bell

Centre Back: New commanding CB, Lenihan, + 2 others (from Rodwell, Williams, Mulgrew, Magloire, Wharton)

Centre Mids: Travis, Reed (If possible), Davenport, Evans, Buckley.

Wide players: Bennett, Chapman, Rothwell, Rankin-Costollo

10's: Dack, Butterworth

Stikers: Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Back up striker to Graham

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

You say we don't need an overhaul but 6-8 new player is basically an overhaul of the squad.

I would like to see some of these young lads slot in somewhere too.

For me  the squad would ideally be:

Keepers: Raya, New Keeper to challenge him, Fisher

Right Back: Nyambe, New right back to compete,

Left Back: New starting left back, Bell

Centre Back: New commanding CB, Lenihan, + 2 others (from Rodwell, Williams, Mulgrew, Magloire, Wharton)

Centre Mids: Travis, Reed (If possible), Davenport, Evans, Buckley.

Wide players: Bennett, Chapman, Rothwell, Rankin-Costollo

10's: Dack, Butterworth

Stikers: Graham, Brereton, Armstrong, Back up striker to Graham

An overhaul indicates numerous bodies out, numerous bodies in and a major change to the squad. 3 or so additions to the first 11 with 3 or so coming in to bolster the bench, whilst not getting rid of anybody relevant is certainly not an overhaul. It's a progressive upgrade to the side, largely keeping the shape and dynamics of the side before it.

I also want to see some of these kids come through BUT done with minimised risk. If we're to try and consistently blood the likes of Butterworth, Rankin-Costello and Magloire there must be somebody more reliable to step in if it doesn't go well for them - which is the case more often than not. E.g would we really want Butterworth to directly replace our main influencer in Dack, before he's ever played any mens football (never mind scoring, assisting, making any impact), would we really want to trust Magloire and Wharton if our two best centre backs got injured similar to this season etc... the risk of that model is way too big when you've got the option of signing players as well. Yes let some of them fight for a place in an already strong squad taking opportunities in the cup and off the bench when the time is right, and try to find some attactive loans in league one for others, but lets be wary of adding needless pressure and taking needless risks when the realities of both relegation and promotion exist.

9 minutes ago, Don Said said:

An overhaul indicates numerous bodies out, numerous bodies in and a major change to the squad. 3 or so additions to the first 11 with 3 or so coming in to bolster the bench, whilst not getting rid of anybody relevant is certainly not an overhaul. It's a progressive upgrade to the side, largely keeping the shape and dynamics of the side before it.

I also want to see some of these kids come through BUT done with minimised risk. If we're to try and consistently blood the likes of Butterworth, Rankin-Costello and Magloire there must be somebody more reliable to step in if it doesn't go well for them - which is the case more often than not. E.g would we really want Butterworth to directly replace our main influencer in Dack, before he's ever played any mens football (never mind scoring, assisting, making any impact), would we really want to trust Magloire and Wharton if our two best centre backs got injured similar to this season etc... the risk of that model is way too big when you've got the option of signing players as well. Yes let some of them fight for a place in an already strong squad taking opportunities in the cup and off the bench when the time is right, and try to find some attactive loans in league one for others, but lets be wary of adding needless pressure and taking needless risks when the realities of both relegation and promotion exist.

That doesn't make sense though. How can we bring in 3 new starters, 3 for the bench, introduce some under 23s AND keep everyone we have? Something has to give. 

Sounds like Reed has gone back to Southampton to assess his 'injury' and there's uncertainty as to whether he'll be back with us before the end of the season.

I can't help but think something is amiss there with him and his absences over the last month or so.

A real shame as he's been one of the few signings to improve us but can't see him wanting to spend any more of his time out wide whilst Richie Smallwood occupies his favoured position.

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

That doesn't make sense though. How can we bring in 3 new starters, 3 for the bench, introduce some under 23s AND keep everyone we have? Something has to give. 

I see your point - I probably should be clearer when I say not getting rid of anybody relevant.. I don't mean keep everyone we have.

Lets say we make 6 upgrades. That should make players such as (not debating who should go here, just top of my head examples based on possible incoming positions) Smallwood, Williams, Leutweiler et al practically redundant and available to be shipped out. Some we could flog, some we would struggle to flog on their current wage but something could certainly be done whether loan deals or permanent. Players like Smallwood, Williams, Samuel et al would certainly have suitors from sides such as Barnsley, Rotherham, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton, Ipswich etc.

On top of that there's a few younger players that I'd expect to be loaned out, then you get out of contracts such as Rodwell and Reed that probably won't be here and so on. So numbers from a squad that already isn't big will definitely be cut before we even start.

Also as we've seen this year, you've got to account for injuries and suspensions.

I'm not a fan of bloated squads but I don't think 6 incomings, with outgoing players would take us close to that yet.

Just now, JHRover said:

Sounds like Reed has gone back to Southampton to assess his 'injury' and there's uncertainty as to whether he'll be back with us before the end of the season.

I can't help but think something is amiss there with him and his absences over the last month or so.

A real shame as he's been one of the few signings to improve us but can't see him wanting to spend any more of his time out wide whilst Richie Smallwood occupies his favoured position.

Gutted. He's been excellent. Good player with a great attitude and great promise, one that would definitely fit in to the side moving forward. The type of grafter that would have done a job in many Rovers sides of that past too.

The odds of a return might not be massively favourable for one reason or another but I'd be over the moon if we pulled something off.

Just now, Don Said said:

Gutted. He's been excellent. Good player with a great attitude and great promise, one that would definitely fit in to the side moving forward. The type of grafter that would have done a job in many Rovers sides of that past too.

The odds of a return might not be massively favourable for one reason or another but I'd be over the moon if we pulled something off.

It could easily come down to a choice for him between various Championship clubs next season. He aint going to play in the Premier League next season. Presumably he'll want to go somewhere he can play in his favoured position in the team on a regular basis, not be shunted around various positions every week.

The shame is that it is highly probable we'll be kicking off next season with Evans and Smallwood in midfield and unlikely we'll be seeing Reed there, who is vastly superior IMO.

Just now, JHRover said:

It could easily come down to a choice for him between various Championship clubs next season. He aint going to play in the Premier League next season. Presumably he'll want to go somewhere he can play in his favoured position in the team on a regular basis, not be shunted around various positions every week.

The shame is that it is highly probable we'll be kicking off next season with Evans and Smallwood in midfield and unlikely we'll be seeing Reed there, who is vastly superior IMO.

Reed and Travis looks such a good partnership too.

We destroyed Derby because those two had the attributes to allow us to do it both from a defensive and attacking perspective.

Smallwood and Evans are incapable of replicating that.

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There's no opinion about it, Reed is (or was) quite clearly the most talented central midfielder at the club.

It's just a shame that our manager decided not to play him there for most of the season, instead mostly playing inferior players there....

• Like 9

When was the last time you saw Smallwood  & Evans make a 20yard dart forward with the ball like Reed & Travis? I honestly don't think i've seen it. In order to get the best out of Travis, he needs better quality than the crabs, i.e Reed! 

On a good day Evans or Smallwood alongside Travis can work. However if we wan't to take next season seriously we need better!

56 minutes ago, JHRover said:

From what has been said about his ambitions in the press, he doesn’t seem to have given up on breaking into Soton’s team. Plus didn’t he play mostly wingback last season with Norwich?

Reed must look back on this season as being a waste. He's stayed in the acadamy at Southampton a few years too long and he desperately needed game time in centre mid.

Despite being our best centre mid most of the season he has barely played in his actual position and isn't any closer to breaking into Southamptons first team, he certainly not going to do it as a right winger.

I wasn't too bothered at the start of the season when he was being shoehorned in on the right wing as Smallwood and Evans were playing okay and we were winning games. But like with Rothwell and Travis, he had earned his chance long before he actually got it (if at all, did he ever start back to back games in centre mid?) and since October Smallwood and Evans have been average to poor. I suppose he's partially a victim of Tony's decision to drop Nyambe, with Bennett playing at right back for big chunks of the season we've only an ageing Conway available as the 'Defensive winger' in Tony's footballing mantra. 

You add in Mowbray's comments in the press throughout the season and I imagine he's pretty peeved off, he'll likely be back in the championship one way or another next season and its unlikely he'd bother coming back here. Perhaps there is a chance  that Tony has told him he will play centre mid if he came back but I doubt it.

My hope now is that we play Buckley or Davenport in his place until the end of the season but I just don't see that happening, one of them will get 25 mins against Swansea and that'll be that.

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

From what has been said about his ambitions in the press, he doesn’t seem to have given up on breaking into Soton’s team. Plus didn’t he play mostly wingback last season with Norwich?

Lets see what happens. My money is on him joining a different Championship club and playing CM every week whilst we play the usual plodders.

• Like 1

Would love to see him back in a Rovers shirt , however I think if that were to happen it' would probably be about 10pm on the next transfer deadline day on loan ?

Edited by AJW

6 hours ago, JHRover said:

Don't think we have a chance in hell of getting this guy on a permanent.  Would love it but I din't think he wants to come here and olay iut if position for Mowbary.  A real shining light this season and a damned shame we will miss out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hope there is plenty going on behind  the scenes, but I have my doubts. 

It will be "oh we we had to wait to see what division Charlton are in before finalising Bauer". At which point we will be competing with everyone else again. At this point we know we will be in the championship next season, we need to use this luxury and get ahead of our rivals. 

The problem with that is, as you've alluded, just as our rivals don't know where they'll be next season, nor do some of the clubs we would target players from (Charlton are a prime example). This may make clubs and players reluctant to commit to anything right now. I agree with the concept of moving quickly though, and we certainly should be doing groundwork now. It's just we may struggle to wrap anything up until the end of the season - which is still plenty of time to spare. If we do solid groundwork now, we may still be able to steal a march on rivals.

Just now, bluebruce said:

The problem with that is, as you've alluded, just as our rivals don't know where they'll be next season, nor do some of the clubs we would target players from (Charlton are a prime example). This may make clubs and players reluctant to commit to anything right now. I agree with the concept of moving quickly though, and we certainly should be doing groundwork now. It's just we may struggle to wrap anything up until the end of the season - which is still plenty of time to spare. If we do solid groundwork now, we may still be able to steal a march on rivals.

When did we last move early in the transfer market? My impression is always of a last minute scramble after awaiting advice from India.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 47er said:

When did we last move early in the transfer market? My impression is always of a last minute scramble after awaiting advice from India.

I don't even remember when we last moved early in the market pre-Venkys.

I feel like we did a bit of business early when we first came down to the Champs under Venkys? I may be wrong. If I'm right, what I do know is it was still shit business.