BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was there last year. They didn't want him back 

Are you sure on that? Not arguing, just wondering if you have actually seen it somewhere that they didnt want to bring him back?

It could have been that they did but having being made to play RB all season, he didnt want to go back.

18 hours ago, Don Said said:

Gutted. He's been excellent. Good player with a great attitude and great promise, one that would definitely fit in to the side moving forward. The type of grafter that would have done a job in many Rovers sides of that past too.

The odds of a return might not be massively favourable for one reason or another but I'd be over the moon if we pulled something off.

Why would he ever want to come back here? Constantly played out of position, whilst Smallwood got in ahead of him? 

• Like 5

I always thought Reed would get fazed out once the season was sorted, we'll not see him again having him around puts too much pressure on TM to upset his mostly cautious approach ethos.  Doubt we'd be able to afford him although if these owners were sold the right pitch by the right people then who knows, got to be worth a try but at the very least i'd try and be at the front of the loan queue again fir him next season.

In all likelihood though so fancy kid from another Prem club will probably take his place in the squad, until he's sent back at Christmas !

I think people have to accept that until Mowbray spends some proper dosh on someone to come straight in anything else will always be back up to the pecking order he's now created.  To achieve that one 'starting 11' coming in one would probably have to go anyway.

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Why would he ever want to come back here? Constantly played out of position, whilst Smallwood got in ahead of him? 

Armstrong came back despite being played constantly out of position, with Bell getting in ahead of him on the wing once or twice!!

But seriously, in Reed's first few months at the club he was much better at right mid than he was in centre mid.

One game that stuck out was when he played in the middle at home to lowly Rotherham. He got absolutely rinsed all first half, constantly getting ran through & finding himself too far up the pitch, and ended up being subbed off early. 

He was much improved when playing in the centre later on in the season, but on that performance and a couple of others I could see why he needed easing/coaching in to the position.

He's been given more opportunities in the middle recently. It was right that if he wasn't performing he had to earn it. And now he has done, proving he is one of the best in the middle at the club based on his attributes, with the discipline to match. After the Derby performance the manager even said we would've gone unchanged at Forest but we couldn't due to Reed being injured.

He'll know himself that he's not the finished article, but after a season he should know where he stands. If we want him and he doesn't have better offers elsewhere (both if's) i'm sure he'd jump at us. He's spent a year here playing 35+ games as a loanee which isn't shabby at all.

16 hours ago, 47er said:

When did we last move early in the transfer market? My impression is always of a last minute scramble after awaiting advice from India.

I think the last time we moved really early was for none other than the great Miles Anderson after coming on and playing 3 minutes for Aberdeen.

What a 3 minutes that must have been, he must have won the game single handed stopped 2 certain goals with last gasp defending and then laid on the winner.  Now those are the sort of players we want.

Wait a minute, I have just woken up from having a very strange and weird dream.

• Backroom

Dack came in unusually early, 27th June with a £750k outlay. That summer Whittingham came in on 13th June, Smallwood on the 20th and Gladwin arrived on the 28th so we appear to have been well prepared and I assume we had these targets in mind very early on with budget already agreed. 

In comparison this season we only made one signing in June, Rothwell on the 22nd, and wouldn't make another signing until Kasey Palmer joined on loan on July 30th. The rest of our signings all came in August with the season either just about to begin or already underway, suggesting a very different approach. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Dack came in unusually early, 27th June with a £750k outlay. That summer Whittingham came in on 13th June, Smallwood on the 20th and Gladwin arrived on the 28th so we appear to have been well prepared and I assume we had these targets in mind very early on with budget already agreed. 

In comparison this season we only made one signing in June, Rothwell on the 22nd, and wouldn't make another signing until Kasey Palmer joined on loan on July 30th. The rest of our signings all came in August with the season either just about to begin or already underway, suggesting a very different approach. 

Ah that's true, I forgot we moved fairly quickly that summer. I feel like I remember some fans (maybe not many) still managing to panic about it though.

It felt like TM got caught cold a bit when we came back up. Prices and wages were no longer what he expected them to be, having not done business in the Championship for years. He also felt the lads who got us up deserved a shot. I can understand the issues in summer to a degree. The failure in January was pretty unforgivable though, he should have known by then on both counts.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DE. said:

Indeed and one that is strange considering we knew we would be promoted with a few games to spare. 

Is it just that Mowbray knows/knew League 1 better than the Championship? 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17586641.mowbray-explains-goalkeeping-call-in-rovers-win-at-qpr/

Raya is a 'fantastic young keeper' but Mogga's told him there will be competition brought in this summer (although he said that last summer)

Tricky one. Raya may eradicate the errors if Mowbray stays faithful to him or he may always make costly mistakes no matter how old/experienced he becomes. 

I think a new No.1 is an absolute must personally. I just think Raya is one of those keepers who will make great saves and drop clangers in equal measure.  

36 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17586641.mowbray-explains-goalkeeping-call-in-rovers-win-at-qpr/

Raya is a 'fantastic young keeper' but Mogga's told him there will be competition brought in this summer (although he said that last summer)

Tricky one. Raya may eradicate the errors if Mowbray stays faithful to him or he may always make costly mistakes no matter how old/experienced he becomes. 

I think a new No.1 is an absolute must personally. I just think Raya is one of those keepers who will make great saves and drop clangers in equal measure.  

He did bring in 'competition' last summer. It's worrying that that's how he defines competition though, with all the recent talk of bringing in 'competition' this summer.

On 19/04/2019 at 19:58, DE. said:

Cool. Out of curiosity has he told the public about Mulgrew dropping below last season's standards? Or Smallwood? 

Don't think Smallwood has dropped below the standard he set last year.

He was a decent'ish League 1 standard, workmanlike midfielder. And that's what he has been this year and will be next.

Hope we move him on in the summer

8 hours ago, Bucksrover said:

Don't think Smallwood has dropped below the standard he set last year.

He was a decent'ish League 1 standard, workmanlike midfielder. And that's what he has been this year and will be next.

Hope we move him on in the summer

Smallwood and Evans play the CM role better than anyone at the club. Tony said so. Or was it the BRFCS hate-core? I get confused these days....

• Like 1

What do we do about Mulgrew in the summer? I don't think his set-pieces are a worthwhile tradeoff for the lack of leadership and stability at the back. Williams is looking a better foil for Lenihan atm. And reductivist as it may be, statistics show we're a better team without Charlie.

Of course, Mowbray might feel differently. 

With Mulgrew: Played 29. Won 6. Drawn 8. Lost 15.      0.9 points per game and 1.69 goals conceded per game.       4 clean sheets.     26 points.

Without Mulgrew: Played 13. Won 8. Drawn 3. Lost 2.     2.08 points per game and 1.15 goals conceded per game.     7 clean sheets.       27 points.

Unfortunately Tony isn't a reductivist when it comes to football coaching. He's much more abstract. 

• Like 2

For me he falls into the Evans/Smallwood and co category as in if he's here he'll be a starter when fit mostly.  Factor in his Scotland career as well which might come before club on occasion i'd be letting him go.   I say that with heavy heart because he has been a good player for us and he does have quality but defensively there is better out there but he's too expensive, experienced and highly regarded for TM to use him as back up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

With Mulgrew: Played 29. Won 6. Drawn 8. Lost 15.      0.9 points per game and 1.69 goals conceded per game.       4 clean sheets.     26 points.

Without Mulgrew: Played 13. Won 8. Drawn 3. Lost 2.     2.08 points per game and 1.15 goals conceded per game.     7 clean sheets.       27 points.

Unfortunately Tony isn't a reductivist when it comes to football coaching. He's much more abstract. 

Wow .. Pretty damning stats . I like Mulgrew think he's been a good player for us but I put him in the same category as Bennett and Conway .. Thanks for all you've done but time to move on 

• Like 1

Also with Mulgrew I think it might give more licence for Mowbray to start his preferred two deep lying sitting defensive mids when Charlie boy is in to allegedly protect this fragile defender and cover the chronic lack of pace.

Not what we want although I don't know the stats on that so might be wrong but i'm sure he's spoke of it in the past.

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Please can we sign a proper goalkeeping coach instead of the one we got from Poundland ?

Until we do, no keeper will do themselves justice here.

I don't really know too much about Ben Benson but I think the best goalkeeping coaches would struggle with our two. In my opinion their mistakes are elementary evidenced by the goals conceded at Forest and QPR which are primarily down to poor decision making. I just don't think any coach can greatly improve any players decision making. It's a natural trait in my view and knowing when and what to do.

The old saying of making a silk purse out of a sows ear is applicable.

• Like 1