BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, arbitro said:

I don't really know too much about Ben Benson but I think the best goalkeeping coaches would struggle with our two. In my opinion their mistakes are elementary evidenced by the goals conceded at Forest and QPR which are primarily down to poor decision making. I just don't think any coach can greatly improve any players decision making. It's a natural trait in my view and knowing when and what to do.

The old saying of making a silk purse out of a sows ear is applicable.

Someone made the (good) point on here the other week that the GK's we have aren't capable of doing what Mowbray wants them to. Mowbray has talked quite a few times about his GK's commanding their areas. Raya certainly isn't that type, he's a shot-stopper who hasn't got the physical presence (or possibly temperament) to be smashing people out of the way to get to the ball. Leuty's flap at QPR would suggest he's got exactly the same problem. 

If Mowbray wants his keepers to do that he needs a new keeper. Or he needs CB's who can dominate the area aerially, like that big lad at Millwall (Cooper?), which doesn't necessitate Raya or whoever having to come and claim everything out of the air.

I think a big commanding CB would solve a lot of problems for Mowbray.

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Someone made the (good) point on here the other week that the GK's we have aren't capable of doing what Mowbray wants them to. Mowbray has talked quite a few times about his GK's commanding their areas. Raya certainly isn't that type, he's a shot-stopper who hasn't got the physical presence (or possibly temperament) to be smashing people out of the way to get to the ball. Leuty's flap at QPR would suggest he's got exactly the same problem. 

If Mowbray wants his keepers to do that he needs a new keeper. Or he needs CB's who can dominate the area aerially, like that big lad at Millwall (Cooper?), which doesn't necessitate Raya or whoever having to come and claim everything out of the air.

Why not have both a commanding centre half and a keeper who dominates his six yard box as transfer targets? These in my book are the two main areas of weakness and strengthening here would reduce the number of mistake riddled goals we concede.

Just now, arbitro said:

Why not have both a commanding centre half and a keeper who dominates his six yard box as transfer targets? These in my book are the two main areas of weakness and strengthening here would reduce the number of mistake riddled goals we concede.

Why not indeed. Everyone can see the weaknesses, but they haven't been addressed yet so I was making the point that if he had to prioritise it should be a CB. I'd be very surprised if he signs a new 1st choice keeper and a 1st choice CB based on his record so far. 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

No chance of big Jakey Cooper going to Blackburn. Fact.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

All good sides are built from the back on solid foundations and having this fascination with footballing centre defenders is only useful if you are a good footballing side.  Sitting back and passing it along the back four and inbetween the sitting midfielder doesn't really constitute that but even so I suppose he's more at ease with defenders who are comfortable on the ball to avoid regular cock ups with that system.

One of the whole ideas of Raya when they plonked him in the side to learn on the job - after he'd wasted a season or two on the bench instead of on loan doing it - was so he got the ball out quicker and got it moving from the back.

What happened to that I wonder ?

Edited by tomphil

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Smallwood to a league one club please and bring Rodwell in for another year 

I think he’ll be wanting more than a one year deal. I’d go two but no higher - and it depends on wages.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

As per his post-match interview:

Tony is in Europe for the next few days looking at players 

So the main Leagues with matches the coming days are La Liga, Ligue 2 and Eredvisie. There are also some games in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

If we want another older, wiser head centre forward as alternative to DG then we could do worse than Pitman at Pompey. Not always been first choice this season despite banging in an obscene amount of goals last season but has still managed 14 goals.  His goal scoring record over the years has been very good. Scored with a tidy finish today too. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
48 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I have a feeling him and Mulgrew may be on their way if someone will take them. 

My concern with Mulgrew is that his wages may prevent anybody coming in for him. Especially considering his seriously questionable performances this season.

Smallwood we may be able to move on for a small fee. I can't imagine his wages are that high, so maybe a newly promoted L1 club or one of Ipswich/Bolton/Rotherham will take him on for next season's League 1 campaign. That's where I assume any serious interest will come from anyway. 

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

So the main Leagues with matches the coming days are La Liga, Ligue 2 and Eredvisie. There are also some games in Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

I know we are crying out for a good centre defender but I hope that's not where he's looking for one ?

How about a Wes Morgan type defender and leader? Though at age 35 might only get one season out of him, but in that Kevin Moran/Tony Gale mould. No idea how long he's got left on his Leicester contract. 

13 minutes ago, Boz said:

How about a Wes Morgan type defender and leader? Though at age 35 might only get one season out of him, but in that Kevin Moran/Tony Gale mould. No idea how long he's got left on his Leicester contract. 

You've got to be careful with players that age. It really can be here today gone tomorrow. Look at Charlie boy and before that Danny Murphy. One for the old timers on here - John Radford.