BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

21 minutes ago, Boz said:

How about a Wes Morgan type defender and leader? Though at age 35 might only get one season out of him, but in that Kevin Moran/Tony Gale mould. No idea how long he's got left on his Leicester contract. 

Has a lot of what we need, but I'd seriously worry about lack of pace at his age. Could have another Gordon Greer situation on our hands. 

What we need is Lenihan mk II. Only trouble we have is finding one!

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Has a lot of what we need, but I'd seriously worry about lack of pace at his age. Could have another Gordon Greer situation on our hands. 

What we need is Lenihan mk II. Only trouble we have is finding one!

Or a Wes Brown situation. There must be a decent stopper type centre half in the whole of western Europe  without looking at guys who are looking for a last pay day.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I'd be quite comfortable going into next season with Lenihan and Del at centre half. Williams is a dogger full back but at centre half he looks a different player, mainly because he's not asked to do more than just defend. All I've wanted our defenders to do all season is win their individual battles and do the basics which he and Lenihan do. That said, if there was an obvious signing we could make that is simply better than him then I'd be all for it and we definatley need more depth there. Personally I see Bauer being our only defensive signing. 

We know what TM is like with blind loyalty so if he feels Williams is the man he'll be no 1 partner to Darragh or more likely no 3 behind his favoured 1&2 DL and Charlie buoy.

I'm not comfortable with that despite Williams new found status I think we need a starter capable dyed in the wool centre half otherwise again you are looking at 3 guys there who've all been converted to CH when we hit a bad patch and the anger starts and their back up will probably another converted player.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Williams says that centre half is his position too.

But I think anyone that has been properly schooled in defending at all would look decent next to the immense Lenihan in the last few games.

Not sure whether I include Mulgrew or Rodwell in that statement... so a new centre half is still a priority for me.

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I get the feeling that we might have to put up with Journos speculating about Lenihan over the summer months ?

That's why he should be given the armband, a good regular partner and the promise of a contract review by January

• Like 4

He's the one I'm worried about losing for less than he's worth. At least if Dack goes, as damaging as that would be, there's no reason why we shouldn't be asking for a bumper fee. How much can Lenihan realistically command? Probably a reasonable sum, but doubt it'll be enough to reinvest properly into the team.

He seems like a good sort, so hopefully a potential top-half finish, and momentum going into next year means that he won't be wanting away just yet. 

4 minutes ago, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I get the feeling that we might have to put up with Journos speculating about Lenihan over the summer months ?

Me too. His twitter post yesterday (text below) seemed to have a hint of 'I could be off' but I'm blatantly reading too much into it. I could definitely see a top Championship club coming in for him - as others have suggested, the promise of the armband and a decent CB partner may go someway to convincing him to give it another year.

'Proud moment today captaining the team that gave me a chance to be a professional footballer. Will always be grateful for the opportunity and to get the win and clean sheet made it the perfect day'

• Like 1

When you think Hanley & Duffy went for around 4 million each it seems good championship defenders don't always command big bucks.  All the more bizarre we never actually sign any when they are that affordable !

Given that was a few years ago you'd probably be looking at 5/6 mill for DL from another ambitious or parachute funded Champ club. That kind of dough here would disappear in an instant because the initial down payment and following instalments wouldn't be very big and imo that is what gets committed to reinvestment rather than the whole package of any incoming transfer funds, minus the percentages etc of course.

That doesn't leave anywhere near enough to slap down on a good enough replacement so keep him at all costs there is a very good player developing there.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Me too. His twitter post yesterday (text below) seemed to have a hint of 'I could be off' but I'm blatantly reading too much into it. I could definitely see a top Championship club coming in for him - as others have suggested, the promise of the armband and a decent CB partner may go someway to convincing him to give it another year.

'Proud moment today captaining the team that gave me a chance to be a professional footballer. Will always be grateful for the opportunity and to get the win and clean sheet made it the perfect day'

I thought the exact same, but hopefully we are just looking into it too much. Mowbray should give him the captains armband on a full time basis.

If we lose him it would be very frustrating, as we need to be strengthening there , not getting weaker 

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The only solution to that is to make ourselves into one of those and convince him he's as well being here as elsewhere. Starting point for that is to sign some decent players and show everyone we mean business this summer. Once again this comes back to club management. Sitting around until July waiting for something to happen, moaning about money and costs and how difficult it is and aiming for mid-table will ensure decent players look elsewhere in their quest to reach the Premier League.

• Like 6

Just now, JHRover said:

The only solution to that is to make ourselves into one of those and convince him he's as well being here as elsewhere. Starting point for that is to sign some decent players and show everyone we mean business this summer. Once again this comes back to club management. Sitting around until July waiting for something to happen, moaning about money and costs and how difficult it is and aiming for mid-table will ensure decent players look elsewhere in their quest to reach the Premier League.

Exactly. Lenihan and Dack need to be shown that this club is a vehicle to fulfill their ambitions. If we don't, I couldn't blame them for wanting out. 

14 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That's him off then. 

Honestly can't read it any other way now!

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

You've noticed? ?

Mate, I'm a "happy clapper" so it must be bad!

Touché. Agreed, the more you read it the more it sounds ominous.

This talk of Williams partnering him next season is very premature and shortsighted for me. If you could pair Lenihan with another commanding, aerial centre half then we may actually be onto something with a few other shrewd additions. If Williams keeps this form up until season end then I’d definitely look to keep him as a squad man - CB only though (terrible left back!).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Sheff Utd wanted Lenihan last summer. He's just had a good season in the Championship so I'd be very surprised if they don't still want him, even when they go up.

Absolute monster of a defender. 

If he gets injured next season for a month or two again the team needs to be able to function. That's why we need another CB. Without him we're back to Williams/Mulgrew/Wharton/Magloire. Next to Lenihan some of them would be OK (well, maybe just Williams ATM). The problem comes when he's not there. Williams and Magloire anyone? Mulgrew and Wharton? Nah, me neither, so we need one and possibly two good Championship CB's. 

• Like 1