BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Birmingham Away

Just now, jim mk2 said:

More often than not I have to ask people in front of me to sit down at away matches. Even older men (and women) stand. I pick my targets though. If they look undesirable types I simply move. It's isn't worth the hassle and possible abuse. 

Rovers have always had an element of nutcase fans, going back to the 1960s. Some idiot even went on the pitch and attacked the QPR goalkeeper (Phil Parkes?) at Ewood circa 1967-8. The unruly element seem to be returning recently. What that is I don't know. 

I remember some idiot going on the pitch to attack Adam Blacklaw the Burnley 'keeper - who later joined Rovers - in a game in 65-66 and then having to be rescued by the police when he realised Blacklaw was not a man to mess with.  As you say, this idiotic fringe has been with us for some time but not in the numbers we see today.

3 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I remember some idiot going on the pitch to attack Adam Blacklaw the Burnley 'keeper - who later joined Rovers - in a game in 65-66 and then having to be rescued by the police when he realised Blacklaw was not a man to mess with.  As you say, this idiotic fringe has been with us for some time but not in the numbers we see today.

I remember a glass bottle hitting the crossbar and glass showering down on Blacklow's head when we played Burnley at Turf Moor. The guy who did it must have been close behind me but I never saw him.

The game went on after the glass had been cleaned up.

20 minutes ago, meadows said:

if Rovers feel it will make for a smoother day starting earlier I’m fine with that. If Preston don’t i’m fine with that too. Gone are the days when anyone could seriously expect all games to start at 3 on Saturdays. I’ll try to find out this week what Rovers’ main motivation in switching it is but I’m sure whatever they say won’t satisfy those who wish to harrumph their way through life in a constant state of high dudgeon. My daughter goes to drama religiously on Sat mornings but guess what? She’s decided to have a rare week off and go to the game   

If Rovers want to complain about low revenues or below target attendances they have to recognise that 6 out of our final 7 home games being at inconvenient or unpopular times or days might have a detrimental impact on the above. It might make their day easier but will almost certainly reduce the numbers turning up.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, meadows said:

if Rovers feel it will make for a smoother day starting earlier I’m fine with that

Good for you. I'm not because I'll probably be working and won't be able to get there in time. Do you work on a Saturday morning?

’m sure whatever they say won’t satisfy those who wish to harrumph their way through life in a constant state of high dudgeon.

Am I ok to be annoyed because they've switched the kick-off time for no obvious reason which means as a ST holder I now won't be able to get there? Is it reasonable to be annoyed that one of the few times a local derby is not moved by the Police or Sky, Rovers themselves have decided to move it instead for no apparent reason?

My daughter goes to drama religiously on Sat mornings but guess what? She’s decided to have a rare week off and go to the game   

Absolutely irrelevant to anyone else's situation, unless of course her drama is compulsory and/or pays the mortgage.

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 2

I'll be eternally sore at them moving this and the Leeds fixture because it rules me out and if I don't drive down one or two others might not make the effort under their own steam, that's not unique it's just the way it is.

I fully understand the money aspect of TV games and moving them that's the world we live in and whilst I don't agree with Police sometimes moving them just to accommodate away numbers again you sometimes have to live with it.  This though is a load of old tripe and whatever excuse they offer to those who enquire will be no more than lip service as when it comes to boozing people go out early and get tanked anyway which probably leads to worse states they'll be in starting so early topping up the night before or drinking on empty stomachs and empty heads first thing.

So no that's no excuse at all plus they've then all afternoon to hang around the area or town so again, no.  So it's suits the retired/ semi retired and flexible youngsters but what about those in the middle ?

They really have some nerve to moan about home numbers then keep pulling these strokes, oh the irony.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

I'll be eternally sore at them moving this and the Leeds fixture because it rules me out and if I don't drive down one or two others might not make the effort under their own steam, that's not unique it's just the way it is.

I fully understand the money aspect of TV games and moving them that's the world we live in and whilst I don't agree with Police sometimes moving them just to accommodate away numbers again you sometimes have to live with it.  This though is a load of old tripe and whatever excuse they offer to those who enquire will be no more than lip service as when it comes to boozing people go out early and get tanked anyway which probably leads to worse states they'll be in starting so early topping up the night before or drinking on empty stomachs and empty heads first thing.

So no that's no excuse at all plus they've then all afternoon to hang around the area or town so again, no.  So it's suits the retired/ semi retired and flexible youngsters but what about those in the middle ?

They really have some nerve to moan about home numbers then keep pulling these strokes, oh the irony.

If that is one of the reasons (and I genuinely don't know) then Rovers are surely adding to the problem by selling alcohol in the ground. 

Now it has been confirmed by the police that the early kick off is entirely down to Rovers I have emailed Steve Waggott asking why this is the case.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good for you. I'm not because I'll probably be working and won't be able to get there in time. Do you work on a Saturday morning?

Am I ok to be annoyed because they've switched the kick-off time for no obvious reason which means as a ST holder I now won't be able to get there? Is it reasonable to be annoyed that one of the few times a local derby is not moved by the Police or Sky, Rovers themselves have decided to move it instead for no apparent reason?

Absolutely irrelevant to anyone else's situation, unless of course her drama is compulsory and/or pays the mortgage.

Drama queen ! ?

Everyone s situation is different .. and those who work Mon - Fri will probably look at your situation and think that's its irrelevant just as those who work 2-10 will think they re hard done too with the number of games changed to midweek for tv (which im told has no bearing on attendance numbers ?

You will never please everyone 

(btw im missing it through work too but that just how it is in an era when the working week isn't Mon - Fri like in the good ole days )

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Drama queen ! ?

Everyone s situation is different .. and those who work Mon - Fri will probably look at your situation and think that's its irrelevant just as those who work 2-10 will think they re hard done too with the number of games changed to midweek for tv (which im told has no bearing on attendance numbers ?

You will never please everyone 

(btw im missing it through work too but that just how it is in an era when the working week isn't Mon - Fri like in the good ole days )

I was responding to someone who was complaining about others complaining even though they themselves were unaffected.

What on earth does someone working Mon-Fri have to do with a game being moved from 3pm to 12pm on a Saturday by the club for no apparent. At least be relevant;)

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I was responding to someone who was complaining about others complaining even though they themselves were unaffected.

What on earth does someone working Mon-Fri have to do with a game being moved from 3pm to 12pm on a Saturday by the club for no apparent. At least be relevant;)

Relevant to the fact whatever kick off time is or whatever day someone somewhere will be unhappy ..like yourself 

And Meadows daughter is now going to have to miss Drama which shows however insignificant this is to you (but im damn sure it isn't to her ) or others that KO times will never suit everyone.

21 minutes ago, meadows said:

Apart from the PNE game what would you have expected them to do about the other five?

I admit there's not a lot they can do, which makes it even more difficult to accept them doing it voluntarily on the few occasions it could easily be Saturday 3pm. Two most popular games of the season and the club voluntarily restricts and reduces the number of fans turning up just to make life easier for those paid to put games on. Kick off at 6am or behind closed doors would in theory be safer and less of a risk but not appropriate and neither is 12 noon.

• Like 2

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Relevant to the fact whatever kick off time is or whatever day someone somewhere will be unhappy ..like yourself 

Football is on a Saturday at 3pm or 7.45pm on a weekday night. The vast majority of games are at those times...except when SKY get involves which as an ST holder one has to accept when buying one's ticket. However, the issue here is that the club have decided to move the game without reason. When football clubs move games there is always a reason given (Sky, Police etc). Do you see the issue now?

3 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

And Meadows daughter is now going to have to miss Drama which shows however insignificant this is to you (but im damn sure it isn't to her ) or others that KO times will never suit everyone.

And as I said in my original response that is irrelevant to someone having to miss the game because they have a responsibility to the company they work for and a contract to abide by. I've missed lots of others things to go to the Rovers, playing football, nights out, family do's. We all make sacrifices to go to Rovers. . I just can't miss work and that's the point I made.  There is no equivalence between a hobby and a job you have to attend to pay your mortgage. 

Please try and stick to what is actually being discussed rather than what is going on in your muddled head. We don't want a repeat of all the stuff you got wrong yesterday now do we?

• Like 1

Just now, meadows said:

Fixtures were announced in Mid-June. Time of the game shortly after. It makes no difference whether the police or Rovers altered it if you genuinely can’t get a Saturday morning off at 9 months notice. It could in theory have been selected for telly at a much later date than that. I’m genuinely sympathetic to anyone who can’t make it - my point with my daughter is that she’s having to choose between two activities she genuinely loves and there is an opportunity cost whatever the choice - just as there might be in giving up a Saturday morning’s overtime. 

And my point is I won't have a choice (and neither will others), so in future instead of being pompous and accusing people of 'harrumphing' their way through life try and engage your brain a bit first. 

• Like 2

Just now, meadows said:

Fixtures were announced in Mid-June. Time of the game shortly after. It makes no difference whether the police or Rovers altered it if you genuinely can’t get a Saturday morning off at 9 months notice. It could in theory have been selected for telly at a much later date than that. I’m genuinely sympathetic to anyone who can’t make it - my point with my daughter is that she’s having to choose between two activities she genuinely loves and there is an opportunity cost whatever the choice - just as there might be in giving up a Saturday morning’s overtime. 

If the police made the decision I could accept it irrespective of when that was made. Presumably a police decision would have been made in the interests of public safety which is something they know about. But it wasn't, they were happy to police an afternoon kick off and the potential that brought. My frustration is that Rovers (I have to generalise until we know who had the final say) are pretty much undermining the police by having an early kick off and inconveniencing a good number of supporters.

The 12pm KO is nonsense and not something replicated unilaterally by any other club from what I can see.

However, the main reason there will only be 12,000 Rovers fans there is pricing. £27-31 (£30-£34 on the day) for second division football in the two most popular stands will not attract the floating fan, the kind of fan that usually boosts the gate for this kind of game, 12pm or 3pm.

• Like 2

Just now, meadows said:

Let’s hope Rovers are never involved in the promotion shake up then eh, imagine getting games changed at a months notice like Shef United and one or two have to put up with all season?

They have been changed for TV which is irrelevant to the Preston situation.

12 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Football is on a Saturday at 3pm or 7.45pm on a weekday night. The vast majority of games are at those times...except when SKY get involves which as an ST holder one has to accept when buying one's ticket. However, the issue here is that the club have decided to move the game without reason. When football clubs move games there is always a reason given (Sky, Police etc). Do you see the issue now?

And as I said in my original response that is irrelevant to someone having to miss the game because they have a responsibility to the company they work for and a contract to abide by. I've missed lots of others things to go to the Rovers, playing football, nights out, family do's. We all make sacrifices to go to Rovers. . I just can't miss work and that's the point I made.  There is no equivalence between a hobby and a job you have to attend to pay your mortgage. 

Please try and stick to what is actually being discussed rather than what is going on in your muddled head. We don't want a repeat of all the stuff you got wrong yesterday now do we?

Now now are you to trying to belittle me and make me cry ?? ?

Again BlooBoy its not all about you ! Whats insignificant to you as another person having to miss the game is probably very significant to them.

Unfortunately I cant miss work too ..but im sure theres others who will now get to see the game who would have had to work Saturday afternoon.

Edited by HowieFive0

5 minutes ago, meadows said:

I suspect the PNE end will close to sell out. As would coaches to Burnley if we played them at 12.30om. 

Maybe just a case of us getting pretty flimsy excuses in early for another disappointing home turn-out?

Looking forward to a bumper turn out for the Stoke game when everything is neatly in place for every potential fan. Perhaps they can make it six quid each too then even this messageboard’s most vehement Waggott decryers can have no excuse. 

If we are serious about getting more fans to the ground then you make attractive fixtures as easy to attend as possible, and don't put obstacles in place to drifting fans. I'm not aware of any other club that wants to move games to these times. I'm not aware of any major incident(s) that have occurred in the last 30 years between Rovers and Leeds/Preston fans that make those fixtures high risk or dangerous in some way.

Folk at Rovers stuck in a rut and their comfort zone ultimately happy with their 12000 a week and cash in on a bumper away crowd and will do whatever they feel they need to do to keep it going. 

It's their decision at the end of the day but I'm not going to accept sob stories from Waggott and co. about poor home crowds when the club is doing nothing to help boost that on the rare occasion we have an attractive derby fixture that more people will have an interest in.

As for the away numbers it is a different matter entirely in terms of how people approach it. Only got to look at the Deepdale game with 5500 sold out away fans and 12000 home fans. Plenty of folk there who just go for the day out. They'll be the same at Ewood with more than half their average home crowd there as it is THE game of the season for many of them.

• Like 1

Just now, meadows said:

If you can’t get to a noon/12.30 kick off you can’t get to it whatever the reason for changing it. Those who can’t book a morning off at 9 months notice are hardly likely to be able to at 6 weeks notice. 

My point was Rovers can't do anything when games are switched for TV. They didn't need to have the Preston game at 12, they made the decision autonomously. That's why it's irrelevant.

And whilst a lot aren't happy with Sky moving games they accept it because of the money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Now now are you to trying to belittle me and make me cry ?? ?

Again BlooBoy its not all about you ! Whats insignificant to you as another person having to miss the game is probably very significant to them.

Unfortunately I cant miss work too ..but im sure theres others who will now get to see the game who would have had to work Saturday afternoon.

If you have to work Saturday afternoon you wouldn't buy an Season Ticket FFS! I'd get more sense out of Chaddy.