BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston at Home

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

At this moment in time - more pi**ed with the abysmal referee than I am TM.

Preston must be the biggest cheats I have seen at Rovers for years. Deliberate obstruction, feigning injury, time wasting - they had everything.

Sounds like they managed the game perfectly then, 3 points is all that matters at this stage for them.

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Preston must be the biggest cheats I have seen at Rovers for years. Deliberate obstruction, feigning injury, time wasting - they had everything.

Including the points.  Wish we could accomplish that against our local Rivals...

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Tony says thanks

Just now, perthblue02 said:

TM: “For effort, drive, determination, passion and desire it was right up there. I can’t question those attributes today. But I can question the final pass, the quality in the final third and the calmness to find the right pass.”

https://twitter.com/Rovers/status/1104386271978364930

Is that in any way accurate?

How my opinion has changed in these past months.

Hate to say it but Mowbray has to go now I think. Every manager has a lifespan at a club and I think he's run his out. Its similar to Bowyer, did a good job initially but could no longer take us forwards. I can see where things are going, next season is looking a certain relegation scrap. They need to have someone lined up with proven quality in this league, not sack him and have no plan. Just one of those things I think unfortunately... Cheers Tony but its time to move on.

The reality is, Mowbray and Waggott have a strong bond and I can't see him replacing TM, if he doesn't I can see things getting toxic unless performances and results change drastically enough to get him to the summer. Tensions are already pretty high, fans are on players backs, lost faith in the manager, results and performances not getting better. Better letting someone come in now to prepare for next season. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Just now, perthblue02 said:

TM: “For effort, drive, determination, passion and desire it was right up there. I can’t question those attributes today. But I can question the final pass, the quality in the final third and the calmness to find the right pass.”

https://twitter.com/Rovers/status/1104386271978364930

Don't know what game he was watching. If there was passion and desire we wouldn't have tolerated their persistent time wasting. Yet our lads just let it go. A bad, bad sign. Absolutely no way a top team would have tolerated it. 

Seldom post on here but reaching the end of my tether with this side.  As someone says, this is Bowyer all over again.  A nice bloke, did the job that was necessary when he was put in charge but now finds himself completely out of his depth.  I think there is a fear of who we would get in and whether they could improve on what’s currently going on on the pitch, but with a defence leakier than when that sheyster Coyle was in charge says it all.  Now we await the usual sound bites from our manager.  Things could turn real sour if we fail to pick up at least three points from our next two. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Bang on there- the ref was absolutely appalling. Something happened at half time, because we went from everything being allowed to go, to absolutely nothing. 

Preston have had one decent chance today and scored from it. That goal was the fault of Williams, who my honest opinion, should never play for the club again. He is absolutely appalling. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Facilitating debate nicely there Kenny.

You wonder why you all get an echo chamber on here? Patting yourselves in the back for giving the manager till the summer.

Seems that tide has turned and the masks are now off.

Anyway that was proper wank.

See you at Hillsborough.

Probs a bit harsh, but I’m just a bit annoyed after seeing us gain 1 point from a possible 21 and posting in the heat of the moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

What they had was that nastiness to win at all costs. Unfortunately our great saviour doesn't have that. End of the day no one cares how you win. Just that you win.

If Rovers had been 1-0 and wasting time I would have applauded them for it. You don't get paid stupid money to be nice and you don't charge supporters an entry fee to watch manners and class. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's really hard to argue with this. He's brought some talented players in like Rothwell, Reed, Armstrong and Dack, and got some good young players coming through like Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis. But he hasn't got the right balance in the squad at all, nor found an effective way to stabalise the side and get them to play together well, except for one great month in January, and in spots before Christmas.

Essentially he's violated the old adage "build from the back". We're  absolutely shambolic across the back line, and if that is the case how can the team progress.  Lenihan is our only solid defender - every single other defender (and there are only four of them in the squad) have very significant weaknesses. 

It shows how one or two bad decisions can really snowball. Pushing Downing out on loan and blowing the budget on Brereton instead of splitting it and bringing in a top defender, have been shown to be catastrophic, and now seem certain to cost him his job.

Edit - What I genuinely can't understand is why, when we are having a full blown defensive crisis, we haven't recalled at least one (arguably two) of Downing, Hart or Wharton? 

A very kind summary imo. I think we are just as shambolic going forwards. How many chances diner create? How many goals do we actually score? 

As for bringing in players I'm not sure that's a skill of his either. I'd add Smallwood to the successes as he was what was needed last season and arguably Bell last season too but on the flip side Rothwell isn't really used by TM thus rendering him a bit of a pointless signing (I likewise think he is good.) Problem is there's been just as many if not more duffers being signed. Last season only Dack and Smallwood really contributed significantly to our success and this season very few signings have improved the team. Add in his more expensive signings have been hit and miss Whittingham and Bereton spring to mind and I'd say his record in the transfer window is sketchy at best. 

Likewise bringing in new players. Travis I'll grant you but Nayambe has played second fiddle to Caddis and Bennett at times and Lenihen was already in the team. A great bringer of youth through is equally not something TM has excelled at. Indeed given how the last 2 seasons have planned out I'm surprised Wharton hasn't made it in fully. 

Not trying to have a go - there's a lot I agree with. Have been banging on for ages that the balance is wrong - especially no attacking left midfielder - and the transfer budget should have been spent on improving 2 or 3 positions, including a centre back. Personally though I feel TM has made more than a few mistakes and worst of all has now completely lost the plot and control of the situation. 

• Like 1

A nice comment from Mowbary after he left Coventry .. I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets. ...There as been a pattern at nearly all the clubs he  as managed and all apear to go the same way ,while at Celtic he once played Aiden McGeady at left back and while i like him as a person the good old square pegs in round holes with his players is going to come back again and hit him hard ..

Edited by den9112
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Would that be the CEO that was sort of appointed by our manager? I alluded to this scenario before. I don't think we're at "that" stage, yet, but I was dreading a bad run of results. This is always going to be hanging over us, even if Mowbray picks up results now and it's all forgotten.

Yes this is a hell of a problem. Debate if we're at that stage or not just yet but we can't be far off. Can't score or defend , budget spent badly. There really should be some tough conversation going on between CEO and manager but I can't see that happening. 

• Like 1

Anyone blaming the ref today is chasing a burglar out of a burning house.

Mowbray has lost this game, the plot and the players. He has clearly run out of ideas, and his stock response to a poor run is to go “back to basics” and pick his League One team and whichever player random.org spits up.

The line up spoke volumes, the formation shuffling in the first half, before finally admitting he’d got it wrong and brought on some attacking players just backed it up. It’s like he is trying to keep things tight and they try to nick one late on. Classic Bowyer tactics. Newsflash: they didn’t work for Bowyer either!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

What they had was that nastiness to win at all costs. Unfortunately our great saviour doesn't have that. End of the day no one cares how you win. Just that you win.

I think kicking the ball out of play (at least a couple of times) when it was obvious there wasn't any head injury (it's the officials job to stop play anyway) just typified our 'on the beach attitude' that Mowbray instilled in the players in January.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 2

Just now, Blue blood said:

A very kind summary imo. I think we are just as shambolic going forwards. How many chances diner create? How many goals do we actually score? 

As for bringing in players I'm not sure that's a skill of his either. I'd add Smallwood to the successes as he was what was needed last season and arguably Bell last season too but on the flip side Rothwell isn't really used by TM thus rendering him a bit of a pointless signing (I likewise think he is good.) Problem is there's been just as many if not more duffers being signed. Last season only Dack and Smallwood really contributed significantly to our success and this season very few signings have improved the team. Add in his more expensive signings have been hit and miss Whittingham and Bereton spring to mind and I'd say his record in the transfer window is sketchy at best. 

Likewise bringing in new players. Travis I'll grant you but Nayambe has played second fiddle to Caddis and Bennett at times and Lenihen was already in the team. A great bringer of youth through is equally not something TM has excelled at. Indeed given how the last 2 seasons have planned out I'm surprised Wharton hasn't made it in fully. 

Not trying to have a go - there's a lot I agree with. Have been banging on for ages that the balance is wrong - especially no attacking left midfielder - and the transfer budget should have been spent on improving 2 or 3 positions, including a centre back. Personally though I feel TM has made more than a few mistakes and worst of all has now completely lost the plot and control of the situation. 

I'm not sure he has lost the plot per se, he's just put himself in a position where he does not have the right players to staff a functional defence. I'd say everything flows from that really. If the defence was solid we would be better going forward also as the midfielders would feel more at liberty to push up. Indeed the defence could push further up too. As it is a simple ball up the middle undoes us.

Could Mowbray turn it around? Not sure. Has he ever led a team with a solid defence? A strange consideration as in his career he was as a decent centreback. But it does seem a weakness of his sides. 

Whether it's Mowbray in charge or someone else I'd argue we need to sign an entire back four in the summer. If we can hold onto Lenihan great, but I suspect he might be bought. Nyambe I am on the fence on, but think he could progress in a more stable defence. Mulgrew's way too slow and weak in the air, ditto for Williams and Rodwell, and Bell has the attributes to be a decent left back but he seems to make bizarre decisions. 

• Like 1