BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Northcote

Heard a couple of weeks ago that Rovers were moving on from Northcote providing the hospitality and now it seems to have been confirmed.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/17460472.northcote-deal-at-blackburn-rovers-comes-to-an-end/?ref=twtrec

Vinjay will be happy.

To be honest I've been in the Red Rose suite quite a few times on matchday and the bar offering is dreadful. Hopefully an improvement will come.

• Like 1

I don't know why consideration isn't given to bringing it back in house like it used to be. Burnley have a catering manager who oversees the whole match day operation and functions that are outside of Saturday and weekday games. Northcote have charged top dollar for what was average and bland fayre. I believe a professionally run operation could bring in vital revenue. I think there is an element of laziness about outsourcing.

• Like 3

The pricing of hospitality at Ewood has been prohibitively high for some time now. In my view Northcote attempt to create an 'exclusive' image of their brand and don't really want average football fans involved. They'd rather have empty tables and boxes than reduce pricing or open it up for the general public. 

I'd be looking to utilise empty boxes by offering them round local pubs and clubs - 30 a head for 10 blokes for unattractive Championship games to include a bit of grub? 

• Like 2

Hospitality at Ewood is an enormous rip off. 

Think we paid over £150 in the premier suite vs pne last year or year before. Ticket, an average 3 course meal, match programme and maybe a “free” drink. At the time we couldn’t understand why northcote would put its reputation to the stuff we were eating. Worked out we could have gone to the actual northcote for 6 course meal (£85), match ticket in the jw seats (£35) and still had £30 to play with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'd be looking to utilise empty boxes by offering them round local pubs and clubs - 30 a head for 10 blokes for unattractive Championship games to include a bit of grub? 

According to many on here this is what fans pay on the concourse most games.

5 hours ago, Husky said:

If you get anything served on a square plate you can be certain you'll have to visit a take-away a couple of hours later to fill in the gaps.

So true. I would also include slates, wooden boards and chips inside those miniature shopping trolleys. The mrs love all these type of places I haven’t plucked up the courage for fear of her wrath but I always want to ask the waiter if I can guarantee my food comes on a circular plate.

These days restaurants go to great length to detail provenance of food to influence your choice. I’d like a brief description on what I’ll be eating it on and with what. 

I went in Jack’s Kitchen for the Bristol City game. 

The food was ok, you get one course, plus programme. It’s a pay bar.

However, it was rammed. Talking to folk in there, quite a lot have season tickets for JK. They like the prime seats they get, plus how you can come back inside at half time/full time etc. 

It surprised me his busy it was as it’s not something I think the club widely advertise.

13 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

have northcote not just been taken over by some london hotel chain so might have somthing to do with it

Yes they have. Think the coverage on James Martin's programme will more than make up for what they make at Rovers. And I've had excellent filling meals on plates of all kinds

23 hours ago, JHRover said:

The pricing of hospitality at Ewood has been prohibitively high for some time now. In my view Northcote attempt to create an 'exclusive' image of their brand and don't really want average football fans involved. They'd rather have empty tables and boxes than reduce pricing or open it up for the general public. 

It’s around £60 for JK. I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all for hospitality and I was pleased to see how busy it was when I went a few weeks ago. 

On 26/02/2019 at 21:50, had.e.nuff said:

have northcote not just been taken over by some london hotel chain so might have somthing to do with it

Yes, last May, the Northcote Leisure Group sold off  " Ribble Valley Inns ", the four " Gastro-pubs " they owned ( Including the Clog & Billycock & The Three Fishes at Mitton ). The buyers were Brunning and Price, a division of " The Restaurant Group ", a publically quoted Ltd Company, listed on the Stock Exchange. They also own the " Frankie & Bennys " and " Garfunkels " chains. 

It was announced last week that Northcote Leisure itself, had been acquired by Britannia Hospitality, owner of the Stafford Hotel in London. The local management team are being retained, including Craig Bancroft, who together with Chef Nigel Haworth, built up the Northcote and it's reputation since they took it over in the 1980's. Nigel Haworth stepped down from the business in 2017, although he remains an " Ambassador " for the Hotel. In the accounts to 31st March 2018, filed at Companies House on 25th February, it clearly states that the " Northcote at the Rovers " contract had been renewed in March 2017, until 2023. So clearly something has happened to enforce a change.

The ultimate owner of Northcote Leisure prior to it's sale to Britannia Hospitality, of course, was either the Walker Trust, or one of the Walker family investment companies. 

Edited by sympatheticclaret
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Well spotted, Mathewmann used to have something to do with it as well I think, surely they haven't spent all their pieces of silver from the sale of the club and airline yet ?

He owned it. The Walker trust never did. Matthewman "resigned" in 2017 but that's due to status as a tax exile. Same reason Jack Walker was never officially a director. 

On 27/02/2019 at 06:45, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Caterers at Rovers for nearly 20 years!....they will have made a fortune from the Club.

Shortly after Jack died. How convenient. 

Obviously the Matthewmans used their manipulative influence over the trustees to cut this deal. Matthewman didn't own Northchoke until 2012 but it's no coincidence that Matthewman's friends (that pompous oaf Bancroft and Howarth) received the catering contract shortly after Jack died. The hotel has lost money (I don't know about that cafe near the cathedral) but considering Bancroft's delusions Matthewman evidently saw it as some kind of status symbol being a "manor" and all. Something to mention at the racecourse and pheasant shoots. Put yourself into the mind of typical psuedo upper class. 

I'm sure the club were unable (without any legal issues) to cut the contract sooner. I'm sure that Northchoke's contract was part of the sale conditions in 2010. Matthewman wasn't owner then (made his "investment" in 2012) but I'm sure he used his (and the rest of his families) extensive influence over the trustees to cut his mates a deal. Obviously there wasn't the same influence here besides Bancroft being able to keep his job. 

Edited by Vinjay17

On 26/02/2019 at 18:13, JHRover said:

Sums up the level of hatred and spite the Walkers feel towards club and fans.

3 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

He owned it. The Walker trust never did. Matthewman "resigned" in 2017 but that's due to status as a tax exile. Same reason Jack Walker was never officially a director. 

Shortly after Jack died. How convenient. 

Obviously the Matthewmans used their manipulative influence over the trustees to cut this deal. Matthewman didn't own Northchoke until 2012 but it's no coincidence that Matthewman's friends (that pompous oaf Bancroft and Howarth) received the catering contract shortly after Jack died. The hotel has lost money (I don't know about that cafe near the cathedral) but considering Bancroft's delusions Matthewman evidently saw it as some kind of status symbol being a "manor" and all. Something to mention at the racecourse and pheasant shoots. Put yourself into the mind of typical psuedo upper class. 

I'm sure the club were unable (without any legal issues) to cut the contract sooner. I'm sure that Northchoke's contract was part of the sale conditions in 2010. Matthewman wasn't owner then (made his "investment" in 2012) but I'm sure he used his (and the rest of his families) extensive influence over the trustees to cut his mates a deal. Obviously there wasn't the same influence here besides Bancroft being able to keep his job. 

Not like you to make assumptions Vinj

• Moderation Lead
4 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Sums up the level of hatred and spite the Walkers feel towards club and fans.

I doubt any of them really care, to be fair. Hatred and spite is probably a stretch.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Well spotted, Mathewmann used to have something to do with it as well I think, surely they haven't spent all their pieces of silver from the sale of the club and airline yet ?

The ultimate controlling Company was named as Matlyn Investments Ltd, registered in Jersey. Lynda Mathewman is the late Jack Walker's daughter, so you don't need to have worked at Bletchly Park, to have worked out the connection ..