BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Northcote

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Out of interest, in places like Ossy and Rishton, literally on Blackburn’s border there seems to be far too many Dingles for my liking.

Yet I get the impression if you went to say Colne or Padiham you wouldn’t find too many Rovers fans.

Any reason why apart from folk wanting to escape Dingleville?

About 18 months ago I traced 47 lads who  I'd played with at Blackburn Rugby Club in the early 1980's. As life has gone on, they were spread far and wide, Florence, Nice, Sweden, Caterham, Worcester, Bath etc .... 15 of them still lived in the North West, of which precisely 4 still lived in the Borough of Blackburn with Darwen !!

Your answer is probably why Clitheroe was full of " Blues " in the mid-late 90's, people drift towards a Club performing at a higher level, " Do they want to watch Millwall or Rotherham come to their local ground, or Liverpool and Chelsea ? " ......

Edited by sympatheticclaret
  • Like 1

Just now, only2garners said:

Matt - that’s surely because, whilst Ossy and  Rishton are near Blackburn, they are also not far from Burnley. Whereas Colne is a far way from Ewood in comparison. There aren’t many dingles in Chorley either.

You'd be surprised now I think, there are quite a few quite a few knocking about this area where there were virtually non once over it was very rare to come across a Burnley fan in a social setting or work.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, only2garners said:

Matt - that’s surely because, whilst Ossy and  Rishton are near Blackburn, they are also not far from Burnley. Whereas Colne is a far way from Ewood in comparison. There aren’t many dingles in Chorley either.

Well yes, but it seems to be much more prevalent than it was.

Maybe it’s my paranoia as we spend more and more time in a lower division.

Sympatheticclaret -

Considering you attract support from Blackburn’s border all the way into Yorkshire, any ideas why you struggled to attract five figure crowds when Dyche first took over?

Edited by Mattyblue

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Sympatheticclaret -

Considering you attract support from Blackburn’s border all the way into Yorkshire, any ideas why you struggled to attract five figure crowds when Dyche first took over?

He took over on 30th October 2012, when we'd been conceding for fun, under Eddie Howe. Firstly, he was a virtual unknown, secondly, the football that followed whilst he was sorting the defence was fairly dull, and thirdly, it was our 3rd season down in the Championship, so the " we'll bounce back " element had worn off ...

That said, the average gate for 2012-13, was still 12,928, and every home league gate surpassed 10,000 so ...

It's over 6 1/2 years now, and Dyche is the 4th longest serving Manager in the current 92 League Clubs, after Jim Bentley, Gareth Ainsworth & the aforementioned Eddie Howe .... Christ, even Tony Mowbrey's 23rd on that list ..... being Rovers 6th Manager since Dyche was appointed ... ??

Funnily enough, I did a statistical exercise a few months ago, to discover Burnley's average League position since the Footbal League moved to 92 League Clubs in 1950, until the end of the 2017-18 season. I think 67 uninterrupted seasons is good enough to give an idea of where a Club's " Natural " place should be.

It turns out it was 27th, or 7th in the Championship ..... I would suspect that Rover's would be similar if not marginally higher.

All this means is that we're operating a bit above our " Natural " level, and Rover's a little bit below .... ??

Have to say Burnley are in a great situation at the moment. They have an experienced and canny manager who is under no pressure  to achieve anything other than  to try to avoid relegation - and even then, he would probably still stay in post and Burnley likely bounce straight back.  Burnley are also unlikely to lose Dyche to one of the "bigger" clubs because of his "dour" image and perceived playing style. Couple that with a stable board, the appearance of a well-run club and the Premier League riches flowing into Burnley's bank account with each passing season and it's not difficult to be envious of them compared to the situation at Ewood Park. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Bandwagon jumpers is probably least applicable in East Lancs than anywhere else in the country. Compare East Lancs fans with the likes of Chelsea, Bournemouth, Brighton, etc.

Very true ....

By the way, following my last post, I couldn't resist calculating Rover's average League position since 1950, and it's 26th, or 6th in the Championship in modern terms. Feel free to check the maths anyone, my hip ( due to be replaced ) is giving me gip, and I've just taken my Co-Cocodomel !!

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The county palatine of Lancashire is the heartland of the game.

North east doesn’t come close.

If you count Greater Manchester and Merseyside, ie: " Cricket " Lancashire, we have Man City & Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, Accrington, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Blackpool, Fleetwood, and shortly either AFC Fylde or Salford City ..... That's 15 Clubs !!

Just now, sympatheticclaret said:

If you count Greater Manchester and Merseyside, ie: " Cricket " Lancashire, we have Man City & Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Burnley, Blackburn, Preston, Accrington, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Blackpool, Fleetwood, and shortly either AFC Fylde or Salford City ..... That's 15 Clubs !!

and Wigan.

Could Southport,  Barrow (used to be Lancs), Morecambe and Darwen make it back to the Football League too? 

3 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

He took over on 30th October 2012, when we'd been conceding for fun, under Eddie Howe. Firstly, he was a virtual unknown, secondly, the football that followed whilst he was sorting the defence was fairly dull, and thirdly, it was our 3rd season down in the Championship, so the " we'll bounce back " element had worn off ...

That said, the average gate for 2012-13, was still 12,928, and every home league gate surpassed 10,000 so ...

It's over 6 1/2 years now, and Dyche is the 4th longest serving Manager in the current 92 League Clubs, after Jim Bentley, Gareth Ainsworth & the aforementioned Eddie Howe .... Christ, even Tony Mowbrey's 23rd on that list ..... being Rovers 6th Manager since Dyche was appointed ... ??

I forgot all about Eddie Howe being your manager.  Done a superb job since and always linked with big jobs.  Strange how things work out.

1 hour ago, old darwen blue said:

Do you know I think I could actually have a pint with sympatheticclaret, he’d pay of course. 

Would you be looking him in the eyes or counting the fingers on his hand holding his glass?

4 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Funnily enough, I did a statistical exercise a few months ago, to discover Burnley's average League position since the Footbal League moved to 92 League Clubs in 1950, until the end of the 2017-18 season. I think 67 uninterrupted seasons is good enough to give an idea of where a Club's " Natural " place should be.

It turns out it was 27th, or 7th in the Championship ..... I would suspect that Rover's would be similar if not marginally higher.

All this means is that we're operating a bit above our " Natural " level, and Rover's a little bit below .... ??

So you are going to wipe out half of a club’s history to decide on their overall record? No wonder your conclusion is half-arsed.

I think your name should be changed to jealousclaret because sympathetic you ain’t, nor would I expect, let alone want your sympathy.

Enjoy your time in the sun. Wonder if it will be as successful our most recent spell...

6 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Divided territory Josh. Always has been, always will be.

Neutral means 50/50, right? Theres absolutely no way it's anything like 50/50.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

So you are going to wipe out half of a club’s history to decide on their overall record? No wonder your conclusion is half-arsed.

I think your name should be changed to jealousclaret because sympathetic you ain’t, nor would I expect, let alone want your sympathy.

Enjoy your time in the sun. Wonder if it will be as successful our most recent spell...

Stuart,

I picked 1950-51 season purely on the basis that it was the first season where there were 92 Clubs in the league structure, for an easy comparison, over a statistically significant period, uninterrupted by war etc. ... I must admit, I hadn't realised Rovers had spent most of the 1950's in the 2nd Tier ... I still think that's a reasonable place to start ...

Obviously by picking that starting point, I omitted 2 of Rover's title winning seasons, ( and 1 of Burnley's ), all three of which were nearly 100 years ago. 

Rovers have a  " storried " history, with 6 FA Cup wins and 3 1st Division titles, and I absolutely acknowledge that .... shall we agree that we're both lucky enough to support Clubs with  long, illustrious, and proud histories ?? 

Edited by sympatheticclaret