BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Rovers Team Youve Seen

I like berg but I can’t imagine him tearing up and down the wing in the modern game so for me right back would have to be Emerton.

i also really liked ripley on the right wing , would be a close call between him and Bentley.

wouldnt get in the team but some handy subs to have would be paul warhurst and lars bohenian. 

We have had several star names that have reached us at the end of their careers so I’m guessing your referring to their actual rovers careers otherwise the likes of fowler, djorkaeff, Salgado, Suker would need to be involved 

12 hours ago, 47er said:

Guess its your age but Berg was not in the same class as Newton. still a great player though!

Yeah Newton had it all at fullback. I liked Berg but he wasn't in Newton's class. He could play right or left back like a natural, good enough to play in both positions for a top England team. How many of them are there these days that can do that ? Too many one footed wonder today.

I thought that Andy Mac and Matt Jansen were great players and I saw them both many times but if I was bringing on a forward sub for my team it would have to be Bellamy. You'd hate to have to mark him. He was seriously quick with a mean streak and he could finish.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Too young to remember Fred Pickering before he left for Everton and he was a shadow of his former self when he returned.

Friedel

Newton England Hendry Le Saux

Douglas Tugay Clayton  Duff

Shearer Sutton                                            

• Like 1

Late 70s early 80s i attended quite a few Rovers games with my Grandad and cousins. I was at Gigg Lane when Promotion was sealed. It was rammed behind the goal is all i can remember.

My team would be made up of players i remember from that era....

Bradshaw

Rathbone  Fazakerly  Keeley  Brannigan

Miller  Parkes   Stonehouse  Brotherstone

Bell            Garner

Happy days. Smax and Waggon Wheels from the kiosk on the Riverside Paddock and we used to sneak through some broken wooden slats into the seats above. 

Edited by CP Company Lad
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Biz said:

Friedel

Kenna Berg Hendry Le Saux

Tugay 

Ripley                            Duff

Dunn

Shearer    Cole

Subs;

Roque Santa Cruz

Pedersen

Sutton

Samba

Emerton

Jeff Kenna. Our Dennis Irwin! 

57 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Late 70s early 80s i attended quite a few Rovers games with my Grandad and cousins. I was at Gigg Lane when Promotion was sealed. It was rammed behind the goal is all i can remember.

My team would be made up of players i remember from that era....

Bradshaw

Rathbone  Fazakerly  Keeley  Brannigan

Miller  Parkes   Stonehouse  Brotherstone

Bell            Garner

Happy days. Smax and Waggon Wheels from the kiosk on the Riverside Paddock and we used to sneak through some broken wooden slats into the seats above. 

Nice one pal, you’ve more Rovers history than some on here!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

Nice one pal, you’ve more Rovers history than some on here!

Long time ago pal but very very happy days. Remember a toffee shop just up LBR near where Bargain Booze is now on the corner. Gone now. He used to park behind a shop called motalas ? Further up on the straight. 

Think I even had a Rovers bobble hat at one point :huh: with my Blue parka with the orange lining and fake fur round the hood :lol:

Edited by CP Company Lad

I never saw Douglas, Clayton, Pickering, England, or Newton play so can't include them.

The 1995 title winning teams wasn't blessed with world class talent, outside of Alan Shearer, but it was a very effective unit that played to its strengths.

Here's my attempt;

Friedel

Berg           Nelsen                Hendry             Le Saux

Bentley           Tugay           Warhurst                 Duff

Shearer          Bellamy

I'd not argue if Henchoz got in ahead of Hendry as that back 4 needs some pace, and maybe Batty for Warhurst as Rovers only saw fleeting glimpses of how good he was.

• Like 2

Really enjoying seeing these!

For me there are some really tough choices. I’d go for Wilcox over Duff, but I’d like to find a place for them both... and Sellars! Gordon Cowans was unreal... but can’t shift Tugay. We’ve had some excellent centre backs, which makes our current indifference towards them all the more frustrating. And while he’s not in the league of some of the strikers we’ve had over the years, I’d love to see Gestede getting his head on Wilcox/Ripley crosses... he’d score bucket loads!

Friedel

Berg          Moran            Nelsen      Le Saux

Ripley        Batty               Tugay       Wilcox

Shearer          Garner

subs: Mimms, Hendry, Atkins, Cowans, Duff, Speedie, Gestede

Just now, Miller11 said:

Really enjoying seeing these!

For me there are some really tough choices. I’d go for Wilcox over Duff, but I’d like to find a place for them both... and Sellars! Gordon Cowans was unreal... but can’t shift Tugay. We’ve had some excellent centre backs, which makes our current indifference towards them all the more frustrating. And while he’s not in the league of some of the strikers we’ve had over the years, I’d love to see Gestede getting his head on Wilcox/Ripley crosses... he’d score bucket loads!

Friedel

Berg          Moran            Nelsen      Le Saux

Ripley        Batty               Tugay       Wilcox

Shearer          Garner

subs: Mimms, Hendry, Atkins, Cowans, Duff, Speedie, Gestede

Nice team that. Batts = le saux ?

Friedel

Berg   Hendry   Nelsen   Le Saux

Bentley  Tugay  Sherwood Duff

Shearer Jansen

Subs

Flowers, Moran, Flitcroft, Ripley, Dunn, Newell, Cole.

Five or six captains in that line up, and a couple more on the bench. Goosebumps from the memories ?.

We have been blessed with some class players over the years. Makes for very nostalgic reading.

I hope that we are turning away from a low point in our players history. 

I doubt that I will remember many of the current crop in a few years from now,  if I'm still around. 

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 01:30, old darwen blue said:

Nobody has picked our record goal scorer despite selecting forwards like Bellamy, Cole and McCarthy. Ok oldJamFan has him as a sub  

Just unbelievable. 

In fact my take on it:

Garner

Garner       Garner       Garner     Garner

Garner       Garner       Garner     Garner

Garner       Garner

Sub. Shearer

I know mate. I did struggle with leaving out all the players from our (old) 3rd and 2nd division days, but for all the likes of Faz, Killer, Brothhead, Barker, McKenzie etc were wonderful at that level and gave us some amazing memories, if this is based on ability I have seen at least 10 Rovers forwards that were better than Garns. And even if we were picking just from that era, Archibald and Speedie were both twice the player Garner was. I put him in as a sub for sentimental reasons only.

Doesn’t affect his legend status though ? 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I know mate. I did struggle with leaving out all the players from our (old) 3rd and 2nd division days, but for all the likes of Faz, Killer, Brothhead, Barker, McKenzie etc were wonderful at that level and gave us some amazing memories, if this is based on ability I have seen at least 10 Rovers forwards that were better than Garns. And even if we were picking just from that era, Archibald and Speedie were both twice the player Garner was. I put him in as a sub for sentimental reasons only.

Doesn’t affect his legend status though ? 

Fair points, but Garner always seemed to score in cup ties against 1st Division sides so I am confident that he could have stepped up. I don't see contemporaries such as Cottee or Adrian Heath as significant upgrades on Simon and I think he would have scored plenty at the higher level. 

• Like 3

In our current formation

Friedel

Berg   Hendry   Nelsen   Warnock

Tugay       Flitcroft

Bentley         Dunn          Duff

Shearer   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Fair points, but Garner always seemed to score in cup ties against 1st Division sides so I am confident that he could have stepped up. I don't see contemporaries such as Cottee or Adrian Heath as significant upgrades on Simon and I think he would have scored plenty at the higher level. 

We will never know. He was certainly an instinctive finisher who could also put a good cross in and will always be a legend to me.

I do however know that the following strikers who have followed in his footsteps were all better players than Simon Garner:

Speedie

Archibald

Newell

Sutton

Shearer

Jansen

McCarthy

Bellamy

Santa Cruz

Cole

Yorke

Yakubu

And that is just off the top of my head.