BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Rovers Team Youve Seen

On 28/02/2019 at 16:51, CP Company Lad said:

Whats the opinion of Chris Sutton on here ? Bit of a nasty piece of work by all accounts and upset Tim Flowers i am led to believe which resulted in Shearer giving him a slap.

Sherwood was also a gobshite apparently.

Sutton was a top class striker but I can imagine him upsetting a few. He seemed to be injured for a long while when we really needed him in the relegation season.

I wasn't Sherwood's biggest fan. The likes of Batty and Warhurst were better players in my opinion. That he was a gobshite, if true, wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've said this before but players come in two categories for me. 1) The players that can play and get you on top in the game. 2] The players that can play once the first group have got you on top. For me, and it's just my opinion, Sherwood belongs in Group 2.

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

We will never know. He was certainly an instinctive finisher who could also put a good cross in and will always be a legend to me.

I do however know that the following strikers who have followed in his footsteps were all better players than Simon Garner:

Speedie

Archibald

Newell

Sutton

Shearer

Jansen

McCarthy

Bellamy

Santa Cruz

Cole

Yorke

Yakubu

And that is just off the top of my head.

Such a different mix of types of striker in that lot though so not really a fair comparison but Garner was certainly good enough to bang in goals in a half decent side in the 80's version of top flight, maybe not in the 90s version though.

He was an out and out instinctive poacher who just happened to be able to play a bit as well......and drink and smoke a little inbetween, well quite a lot actually ?

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Not many people have picked Dack? 

Come on - he's an exciting player but compared to the midfielders we had in the top division he's hardly up with them.

Dunn was a much better player than Dack, and he didn't even make my 11! Tugay would eat 10 Dacks for breakfast.

On a similar theme no one's picked Rhodes, cause while he was a sensational championship striker he was never a top player as his club and international career have shown.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Come on - he's an exciting player but compared to the midfielders we had in the top division he's hardly up with them.

Dunn was a much better player than Dack, and he didn't even make my 11! Tugay would eat 10 Dacks for breakfast.

On a similar theme no one's picked Rhodes, cause while he was a sensational championship striker he was never a top player as his club and international career have shown.

Nobody has mentioned Simon Barker either. A decent midfielder who left before promotion in 1992 and played a good few years in QPR's midfield at a time when they were a handy division 1/premier league side. 

Rovers best 11 will inevitably come from the eras when Rovers were a top flight team. 1966-1992 players may have nostalgia value but weren't the best many fans have seen. I liked David Mail, but he would never be considered in any top 11.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Tbh I was casting a line there but just goes to show what people think of his quality in the great scheme of things ?

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yep I like that but I think Shearer with Bellamy playing off him would be a lethal combination.

Yes agreed, the reason i went for Santa Cruz with Shearer is because i always thought Shearer at club level was at his best with a big man alongside him, Newell & Sutton at Rovers, Ferdinand at Newcastle etc.

For me, even though really it was only that one season, but Santa Cruz is the best i have seen in that role in my time watching.

Edited by MarkBRFC

7 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I am surprised more people , haven't selected Howard Kendall , what a suburb footballer !!

It could be an age thing !

I thought he was at home in any  football environment to be honest ! Not better than Ronnie or Tugay though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 01/03/2019 at 16:54, Herbie6590 said:

Disappointing lack of fans of Bristol, Doncaster & Tranmere infiltrating the board....?

On 01/03/2019 at 19:06, renrag said:

Or Forest Green!

Oh. Now I get it. Silly me.  Well. add to those Raith, Albion and Shamrock.

And how about your best manager?  Very difficult choice, this. First I remember was Jackie Bestall. Kenny is the obvious choice but what about Souness, Hughes, Mackay and Saxton?

I'll get the ball rolling with Gordon Lee.

My best eleven would be:

Friedel

Newton, Hendry, England, Le Saux

Douglas, Clayton, Tugay, Duff

Shearer, McEvoy.

I feel guilty leaving out the likes of Pickering, Ferguson, Waggy, Hole, Berg etc.   We really have had some wonderful players over the years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bazza said:

Oh. Now I get it. Silly me.  Well. add to those Raith, Albion and Shamrock.

And how about your best manager?  Very difficult choice, this. First I remember was Jackie Bestall. Kenny is the obvious choice but what about Souness, Hughes, Mackay and Saxton?

I'll get the ball rolling with Gordon Lee.

Howard Kendall