BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rotherham away

“Yet a long throw in to our box is headed in to our net, a simple cross is headed in to our net, a goalkeeper, wow, two pathetic kicks and the ball is in the air in his six yard box yet he’s practically in the net rather than coming to catch it.”

Turn words into action Tony or you’ll be back playing with your kids in the garden.

• Like 1

Your words don't wash Mowbray.

You sign the players, you sell / loan out the players, you coach the players, you select the players, you set-up the team, you chose the tactics and you pick your assistants (Venus and Lowe).

If you make the wrong decisions you pay the price.

The buck stops with you.

Do the honourable thing and go.

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

These days it does.

Whilst the players do deserve a shoeing, I'm not a fan of public humiliation. Ferguson was a good example of doing it right - he'd never individually criticise players in the press (except in exceptional circumstances) but he'd make sure they knew exactly how he felt in private, and that's how it should be done. Comments like that about Raya only serve to cause a divide, regardless of how true they are. Mowbray is obviously angry and upset but I'm not convinced those comments are the best way to go about things.

• Like 2

Well, he's certainly moved away from the happy clappy/protecting his players bollocks.

But yikes, i don't imagine thats gone down too well with a few in the changing room with player power as high as it is now...

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

We still have Nobbers, Trotters and the Pie Eaters to face. The thought of losing those three games, let alone surrendering, fills me with dread.

So there is one 'mouthwatering game' after all.

I take it all back...

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I am beginning to doubt Raya, who I did think had the makings of a top keeper.

I think a major reason for this is our goalkeeper coach. Ben Benson is 28 years old and was promoted from academy coach. Now, academy players need to be taught things like footwork, starting position, hand shape, technique etc. Raya should be well beyond these basics and these should be second nature.

As an established first team keeper he needs coaching on playing to his strengths... he can’t deal with crosses very well, but then again, neither could Brad Friedel, so he stayed on his line rather than coming flapping. His distribution is poor, so why on earth does he attempt to launch counters with quick kicks that seem to invariably go to the opposition or out of touch. Raya needs an old head who has been there and done it... I’m not suggesting we are going to get a world class keeper coach... Bobby Mimms was a good un, and while we might not get anyone quite on his level I’m pretty sure we can get someone who has actually played at pro level. Anyone can knock a few balls into him in a pre-match warm up, he needs some wisdom imparting, not the stuff the FA give you in a folder when you take your coaching badges.

Brad Friedel had Samba , Nelsen and  Short  in front of him who could attack the bloody ball

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Not many of those comments make much sense. Sounds like he's feeling the pressure.

Whilst our poor defending has been obvious to most (except TM) throughout most of his time in charge I'd say Raya is the least of our problems in the general scheme of things.

Yes the defence is shockingly poor but it's not as if we're like Brazil or Barcelona in other areas of the pitch. We lack any sort of wit and inventiveness going forward either.

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

Whilst the players do deserve a shoeing, I'm not a fan of public humiliation. Ferguson was a good example of doing it right - he'd never individually criticise players in the press (except in exceptional circumstances) but he'd make sure they knew exactly how he felt in private, and that's how it should be done. Comments like that about Raya only serve to cause a divide, regardless of how true they are. Mowbray is obviously angry and upset but I'm not convinced those comments are the best way to go about things.

I agree, I'd be throwing the tea tray at the lot of them in the dressing room but after that you have to be as non committal as you can be, You can  say " There'll be changes, I'm not having anymore of that " but leave individuals out of it.

• Like 1

Weak as piss, common theme this season. The manager has stuck with players who we all knew would not be good enough at this level and now it's costing us big time. Most of all he's brought in no leaders, I mean come on m, Mulgrew as captain? That's laughable hes no leadership in him whatsoever, the only player within the whole squad who has a bit of it is Bennett, but he's not good enough as a player, that's affecting him this season, meaning any leadership responsibility have taken a back seat. There's nobody else in the team. It's depressing to watch this lot. The manager seems the same though, so what can you expect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Extraordinary comments from Mowbray. He's hung Raya out to dry. 

I dread him bringing in an "experienced" keeper like Steele who doesn't appear to make any outrageous blunders, but every time the opposition shoot it's a goal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think he might need to shake up his backroom staff. What the guy who coaches him called? Time for some fresh ideas perhaps. 

Its no good changing the back room staff if the manager isn't up to the job, we learnt that with Kean.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

To be fair he has protected raya many times, at least 3 times if not more for calamitous errors which cost us points! Lack of goalkeeping competition also an issue

I had a lot of time for Raya, I thought he had bags of potential. Having said that like every other player in the team  at the moment he's not stepped up to the level of this league. He's making the same costly mistakes too often. Time to give the other guy a game ?

Brian Clough used to say he'd break the bank for the best possible goalkeeper. " Nobody can lose you a game quicker than your goalkeeper ". He wasn't wrong there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, tugayislegend said:

To be fair he has protected raya many times, at least 3 times if not more for calamitous errors which cost us points! Lack of goalkeeping competition also an issue

Raya was making errors all last season. What's extraordinary is that he's now being made the fall guy. The real fall guy should be Mowbray for not getting a replacement in the summer. Shameful from Mowbray. 

• Like 1