BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rotherham away

January said it all. No signings = no ambition. Its not as if there were no gaps to fill!

The players have adapted accordingly, we are not pushing for promotion, we are "consolidating", satisfied just to stay up. In their minds they are coasting to season's end.

That's pathetic for a team that, despite its deficiencies had a good chance of making the 6.

Yet Mowbray is quoted tonight as saying "when you stand still you go backwards"!!!!!   :blink:

We know that, we've always known that. You really could not make it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, Mowbray has given these players every opportunity to prove they can cut it at this level.  Sadly a number of them have found it a step too far in recent weeks.  Two centre-halves will be brought in and rightly so.  Mulgrew and Rodwell may well be nice footballers but defenders who will put their body on the line they are not.  Rotherham's centre-half didn't have the footballing skills of Mulgrew or Rodwell but he headed and kicked everything away when he had to and then went up the other end to head home two goals.  I like Raya but I think it's time he was taken out of the firing line and given a rest.  I thought Dack was poor today - not for the first time - and I suspect his value is dropping by the week.

It will be a big summer for both Mowbray and the club.  

Incredible that you have a scrap of faith left in Mowbray.  Think you would be still backing him if we end up at Pleasington!

I'd even take C o y l e over Mowbray.

I find Mowbray so uninspiring - I think all he prattles on about are values which masks the fact that, IMO, he is capable of little else connected to Rovers. 

Edited by Mercer

I voted get rid when the poll was first  put up.. TM reminds me of Mourinho at United .. totally Defence minded and not even good at that .. he’s too old school imho ... Gambled in January and has been proven to have failed since then ...

letting Downing go without replacing him and for a manager that likes to play 3 at the back on every chance he gets that decision was bonkers .. needs to go..

Riddle me this...

According to TM we worked all week on defending these high balls into the box...

How exactly?  We are a team crammed with midgets and the one or 2 that are a decent height, can't head.  

Who are they marking during these practices, Dack? Armstrong? Brereton? 

No wonder they can't cope when a couple of strong 6ft 4 lads turn up in the box. They haven't trained against that threat.  It's non sensical.

Rant over.

Another crap result and predictable defending.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Incredible that you have a scrap of faith left in Mowbray.  Think you would be still backing him if we end up at Pleasington!

I find Mowbray so uninspiring - I think all he prattles on about are values which masks the fact that, IMO, he is capable of little else connected to Rovers. 

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

January said it all. No signings = no ambition. Its not as if there were no gaps to fill!

The players have adapted accordingly, we are not pushing for promotion, we are "consolidating", satisfied just to stay up. In their minds they are coasting to season's end.

That's pathetic for a team that, despite its deficiencies had a good chance of making the 6.

Yet Mowbray is quoted tonight as saying "when you stand still you go backwards"!!!!!   :blink:

We know that, we've always known that. You really could not make it up.

TM inherited a squad which got us relegated from this League.

He then made an inspired signing in Dack and with him playing a blinder the same squad proved slightly too good for League 1.

We've now returned to the League we got relegated from, yet the majority of the same senior players who took us down have moved from being experienced pros to being two years closer to retirement. I really don't know what TM was expecting when he said he would give them a chance at this level.

If we did by some miracle sneak up into the Prem via the play offs then surely even he wouldn't say "I want to give these lads a chance" would he? He'd think we needed better players. So why it should be completely different moving up from League 1 I've no idea. 

I don't understand it at all and  I also think he's landed us in quite a hole as there's now too much to do at once.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Well I wouldn't take Coyle over Mowbray, and you don't do yourself any favours with a comment like that.

Its because we are afraid Venkys will come up with another Coyle that so many are hanging on praying for Mowbray to come good.

However we are getting beyond this point right now, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Well I wouldn't take Coyle over Mowbray, and you don't do yourself any favours with a comment like that.

Its because we are afraid Venkys will come up with another Coyle that so many are hanging on praying for Mowbray to come good.

However we are getting beyond this point right now, I'm afraid.

A sign of desperation!

I think it's so obvious Mowbray is taking us nowhere.

IMO, this team is not on the cusp of challenging for the PL, it's in risk of falling through the trap door!

The alarm bells are screaming and the warning lights are in danger of exploding.  Think it's time a few woke up and smelt the coffee!

• Like 1

I think we are a better proposition now for either an experienced and proven manager who has delivered at the top level, but is no longer attractive to top half prem clubs. Or, perhaps, we might be worth a shout for a hungry up and coming talent looking for his first 'Big Club' (Ok tongue firmly in cheek there!!).

Either way, unless we see some signs of change from TM in the remaining fixtures,  I can't see much point in going forward with him. He steadied the ship, did a solid enough job, but doesn't seem hungry enough to get the fan base excited for the right reasons. Time to put up Tony, or ship out!

• Like 1

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

I think most on here have read/heard Mowbrays  eye opening comments after todays game ..how does one see them .. Dead man walking ..he knows hes gone ..or .. I know im here next season and he  means what he s saying ?

Concerning comments for me. He sounded exasperated and desperate. Unless he is planning a significant overhaul in the summer (we're talking most of the first team) I don't see what slating individual players in public will achieve for him. He's still going to be relying on at least some of these players next season.

That said I very much doubt he's in significant danger of losing his job. He only just got an extension recently and has a mate in Waggott watching his back in a critical position. I expect Mowbray will be here next season.

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A sign of desperation!

I think it's so obvious Mowbray is taking us nowhere.

IMO, this team is not on the cusp of challenging for the PL, it's in risk of falling through the trap door!

The alarm bells are screaming and the warning lights are in danger of exploding.  Think it's time a few woke up and smelt the coffee!

I agree with all that! What's that got to do with "I'd take Coyle over Mowbray"?

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I expect Mowbray will be here next season.

How many fans will be? You can put up with bad performances so long as you take the points. But when you play the turgid stuff we do and deservedly lose as well there is not much incentive.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

You'd take C o y l e ahead of TM?  Dear god.

• Like 2

If Mowbray (and his team) are still here in October, we will be in the relegation zone by Xmas, panic looking for a new manager.

We need a Graeme Souness to come in now (like in 2000), evaluate the squad and plan for next season without the blind loyalty TM has to both his players and staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

If Mowbray (and his team) are still here in October, we will be in the relegation zone by Xmas, panic looking for a new manager.

We need a Graeme Souness to come in now (like in 2000), evaluate the squad and plan for next season without the blind loyalty TM has to both his players and staff.

Souness and Gerrard

After giving our so many new contracts, TM’s hands may be tied with regards to budget. Even harder to bring in championship proven players. 

that plus he is not exactly known for throwing in new players in from the off, preferring to bed them in half or two thirds into a season, think rothwell and some of the others. Might get two players and not upset the rotten Apple cart. Then go on to laud Davenport, Dom Samuel, Gladwin as as-good-as new signings.

needs a character change for start of next season or it will be grim next season as teams would have worked out how to go at ours; our players would have aged; momentum dissipated etc. Etc.

Edited by Tugay's Right Foot

Don’t have the fortitude to write much after that game today, but that referee was the worst I’ve ever seen. The boy Robertson should be in the jail after three blatant bookings/assaults today. The penalty was a goal scoring chance and should have been a red too.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

And all the players in bold got new deals or extensions to their current deals John. And I'd wager every new or extended contract combined ate into a chunk of Mowbrays budget.

"Mulgrew, Graham and Conway is over 100 and they, along with Williams, Lenihan and Evans "

Transermkt list Conway and Evans out of contract at 30th June 2019

Others who got over generous contract  extensions are out of contract as follows:

Graham,  Smallwoood,  Bennett: 30th June 2020

Mulgrew, Williams: 30th June 2021

Lenihan: 30th June 2022

Mowbray: 30th June 2022!!!

* sorry for Caps,  can't edit them for some reason unknown. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He’s shown them a lot of loyalty Tony, and got very little back for it. I suppose our only hope is we can get some kind of fee for them, but not from anyone who watched the last few games. Eight shipped against Reading and Rotherham!

Is 'showing them loyalty' a euphemism for being a poor judge of ability? 

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

Honestly, I don't blame the manager. It's those gutless and clueless idiots who pull on the shirts that are the problem. There's a lack of effort, desire and basic ability. Not happy.

A team is a reflection of the manager. The buck always stops with him. If it didn't we might as well have kept every shite manager we've ever had. 

And those gutless players were either bought by the manager or given contract extensions by him. He 'likes the group', he said so many times. He likes the players you call gutless. Whose fault is that?