BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rotherham away

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That could be the business plan laid out last summer especially when you factor in the commitment on Brereton yet only Armstrong for 1.75 million for the first team over the last two windows.  I'm very much of the suspicion that there is another team being grown to sell on soon and plug the running costs over the last two years again. 

I'm sure they'd all fancy promotion but won't invest what's required to give it a good go so will be happy with midtable finishes and just for a 'lucky' season or a Mowbray miracle on peanuts.

Nothing wrong with running a sensible sustainable business model  but if that is the sole aim now and we become the agents vehicle again we are in for some frustrating mediocrity I think.

Frustrating mediocrity= supporter apathy= low gates= further decline...( but I know you know that lol)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We play in quarters and Bristol Rovers in eighths. 

The number of pieces of cloth needed to be stitched together to make the body of the shirt, in times gone by. 

Laziness and changes in language usage and kit manufacture result in ours being commonly referred to as halves and Bristol Rovers as quarters. 

I have no problem with ours being referred to as halves,  I do have serious issue with this year's insipid colour scheme. 

Sorry, that's rubbish. 

I know some Bristol Rovers fans shirts through family. They have never referred to their shirts as "eighths".  

This site talks about Bristol's "quartered" shirts.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Rovers/Bristol_Rovers.htm

And these Bristol Rovers site talks about the club's traditional "blue and white quarters".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-history-bristol-rovers-iconic-221679

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-new-201819-home-1810244

Blackburn Rovers play in halves. 

42 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sorry, that's rubbish. 

I know some Bristol Rovers fans shirts through family. They have never referred to their shirts as "eighths".  

This site talks about Bristol's "quartered" shirts.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Rovers/Bristol_Rovers.htm

And these Bristol Rovers site talks about the club's traditional "blue and white quarters".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-history-bristol-rovers-iconic-221679

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-new-201819-home-1810244

Blackburn Rovers play in halves. 

I know I'm right from a historical perspective. 

No one is denying that the Rovers kit design is called halves and Bristol Rovers quarters by most, including me.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course we play in halves, but isn’t the point posters are trying to make is that in t’owden days the blue half at the front would be white at the back and the white half would be blue at the back?

Bingo 

On 03/03/2019 at 19:28, bigbrandjohn said:

What like Bristol Rovers????

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to just pull it on over my head !  If you read any football handbook it will say _ Club Colours - Blackburn Rovers - Blue and White Halves.

If we play in quarters what do Bristol Rovers play in ?  Blue and White Eighths ?

All the history books refer to Rovers colours as blue and white quarters. A blue piece and a white piece on the front and a blue piece and a white piece on the back. Four pieces of a whole are known as quarters. Two seasons ago we really did have blue and white halves where the blue part at the front continued over the shoulder into the blue part at the back. Awful kit. 

I know in modern times that most people refer to the shirt as halves. Similarly railway stations are now known as train stations. I prefer the correct description.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bazza said:

know in modern times that most people refer to the shirt as halves. Similarly railway stations are now known as train stations. I prefer the correct description.

Agreed on railway stations.

I also prefer the correct description of Blackburn Rovers' blue and white halves. 

5 hours ago, renrag said:

I have some home programmes from the 1950’s and Rovers colours were always referred to as blue and white quarters.

Also there was a question and answer book produced in 1948 by Harry Kay, (Argus of the Telegraph). One question is “When did the Rovers change from blue and white quarters to blue and white halves? The answer given, which I believe is not factually correct, Is shown belowimage.thumb.jpg.aa39cf4ff48fb4299eecb7b997a45d60.jpg

There’s some argumentative buggers on here who quite clearly want to be right so much that they didn’t read this. 

• Like 1

Just now, old darwen blue said:

There’s some argumentative buggers on here who quite clearly want to be right so much that they didn’t read this. 

?

to be fair I also remember some magazines - not all - from many, many years ago saying rovers played in blue and white quarters. The photos above surely show which is a halved shirt and which is a quartered shirt - assuming you don’t open them up and roll them out. 

Doesnt really matter does it, apart from the fact we play in blue and white halves now does it ?

1 hour ago, den said:

?

to be fair I also remember some magazines - not all - from many, many years ago saying rovers played in blue and white quarters. The photos above surely show which is a halved shirt and which is a quartered shirt - assuming you don’t open them up and roll them out. 

Doesnt really matter does it, apart from the fact we play in blue and white halves now does it ?

Or appear to do ?

On 03/03/2019 at 12:14, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I believe the club in general is in a much better place than it was two years ago.  The development squad looks strong and offers hope for the future.  At senior level, despite this awful recent run, I believe we are better than two years ago.  This season we only lost one of our opening ten games, but drew too many.  Since then results have been erratic - which is understandable for a club coming up - but we are on course to consolidate in terms of staying in the division although there is still work to do to ensure that.  Looking at the remaining fixtures of the club's below us I don't believe we need that many more points before we can start to give some of the younger players an opportunity.  At the moment we have too many players who have totally lost form - Raya, Mulgrew, Dack etc. were mainstays and now look very indifferent.

My main criticisms of the manager are in two areas.  Firstly I think he should have added a couple of players to the squad in January, particularly as we have ten players out on loan and two long term injuries.  Secondly, like Bob Saxton, I think he has been too loyal to one or two players.  Ultimately that did for Saxton and it will for Mowbray if he doesn't make changes in the summer.  I believe he knows that and I believe he will make changes.  Only time will tell if they are good enough but that's the same with any transfer and any manager.  

But in general, I believe the club as a whole is in a much better place than it was two years ago and Mowbray has had a large part to play in that.  I accept some will disagree but that's football - it's a game of opinions..

I agree that the development squad looks stronger but can you really give praise to Mowbray for that? Surely that is due to the Academy set up which was in place well before he joined.

I feel that Saxton was loyal partially through having to due to the financial peril the club was in at the time as the club could not afford to buy but yes I agree that his squad grew stale and we suffered.

The seasonwe were relegated the squad was weak for this division but there were worse squads and should of survived which brings us to the present squad. It is fundamentally the same squad with only Bell, Dack, Travis, Armstrong and Smallwood consistently in the starting XI. Bell, according to Radio Lancashire's Fleetwood Reporter, is a full back who is League One at best. Smallwood is Jason Lowe who tackles a bit more. Armstrong has potential but Mowbray does not know how to get the best out of him. Which leaves Travis and Dack as the only two with positive inputs in the team with Travis in the team because he run out of other options. I've not included loan players like Read.

The team still makes the same mistakes as two years ago and still look as unfit as two years ago. The team's main weakness then has got worse in that the defensive unit cannot defend so I still cannot see the progress in the first XI as the negatives outweigh the positives contributions that Mowbray has brought to the first XI.

• Like 1

Anyway, seeing we’re in the match thread, I’ve not seen the game but I’ve seen the goals. I know it’s been said by others, but the defending for the first goal in particular was beyond poor, it was embarrassingly pathetic. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything like that from a rovers side. While Mowbray really shouldn’t name individuals it’s understandable how angry he would have been. If an entire defence just stands there and allows a cross from a throw in to go completely unchallenged he has every right to completely lambast the lot of them. Let’s just hope that there is a positive reaction from every single player on Sunday.

• Like 1

Mowbrays time this season should really resemble Mackays time not Saxtons he didn't even have shirt buttons but Don had a little bit of leeway at first. Thing is he was ambitious and it rubbed off on everyone.