BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ep 110 - The One Where BRFCS chats with Don Mackay

Just got around to listening to this , quite poignant as one of the lads in our group that used to travel to games together during the Mackay era passed away this week.

Was a great and exciting time to be following Rovers and a peak period at the time, so close but always the belief next year would be our year.

One thing that struck me is Don  sounds a lot younger than his age, surprised when I looked it up that he is 78.

A very enjoyable listen and thanks to all involved for making it happen. A great archive piece for future generations.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 4

Listened this morning on my walk to work. A really great interview. Not to give the interviewer a big head, but you have a very nice style. My only complaint is that it was a bit short. I could have listened for an hour. Particularly more on the play off defeats, how a great season can end in heartbreak, how do you motivate players to bounce back from that etc  Also a bit more on our current players, who he likes and why. You did touch on it with Graham a bit near the end. 

He came across as a very nice man, but you could tell he was no push over either. I suppose he did work as Sounesses assistant 

Great listen 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

He wasn't to be messed with Don and he fell out with the fans a time or two, even got a crowd dig in on the interview lol.  It was a two way thing though plenty of mutual respect between him and the fans he didn't mince his words but he didn't talk shite all the time either although a bit different then when it was probably only Peter White of the LT and Radio Lancs who he spoke to fans through.

It was a time though when the boss was still the boss and he called all the shots it's a different world now. I seem to remember with him sometimes when they'd had a stinker and he wasn't happy with them he'd make them do training runs along the roads then up to Darwen Tower so fans could see they were putting in some graft and he was cracking the whip.

Imagine that these days my god you'd have players on strike, agents pulling them out, tears, tantrums and ffs actual fans melting down and defending them on social media saying it was cruel !!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Listened this morning on my walk to work. A really great interview. Not to give the interviewer a big head, but you have a very nice style. My only complaint is that it was a bit short. I could have listened for an hour. Particularly more on the play off defeats, how a great season can end in heartbreak, how do you motivate players to bounce back from that etc  Also a bit more on our current players, who he likes and why. You did touch on it with Graham a bit near the end. 

He came across as a very nice man, but you could tell he was no push over either. I suppose he did work as Sounesses assistant 

Great listen 

The interviewer's head is remaining regulation size (i.e. not Hanley-esque) but thanks you for your kind words...?

I didn't want to take up too much of his time TBH, Don was lovely & accommodating, I thought we had covered sufficient ground to make it compelling but without taking up loads of his time.

32 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The interviewer's head is remaining regulation size (i.e. not Hanley-esque) but thanks you for your kind words...?

I didn't want to take up too much of his time TBH, Don was lovely & accommodating, I thought we had covered sufficient ground to make it compelling but without taking up loads of his time.

I got that, but I feel he wanted to keep talking too. Part 2.....

• J*B unpinned this topic

I used to play in a football team with Craig MacKay - Don's son. On a couple of occasions, despite being obviously busy at Rovers all week, Don came down to watch from the side lines. He never tried to tell us how to play but It terrified the opposition who thought he had come to scout one of our players.

In that same team, incidentally, was Steve Archibald's brother and Neil Arthur of Blancmange fame.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I used to play in a football team with Craig MacKay - Don's son. On a couple of occasions, despite being obviously busy at Rovers all week, Don came down to watch from the side lines. He never tried to tell us how to play but It terrified the opposition who thought he had come to scout one of our players.

In that same team, incidentally, was Steve Archibald's brother and Neil Arthur of Blancmange fame.

Yeah I spoke to him a couple of times on White Ash.

Edited by DeeCee

14 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

So that's what swung it coming here for Stevie ?  I always wondered just how we'd managed it !