BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Coaching/Backroom Staff

Obviously it is difficult to comment on the training that goes on behind closed doors but I think it is abundantly clear from the lack of progress and failure to learn from our mistakes that the coaching at Ewood Park is not up to scratch. I do believe Mowbray is a good man manager but really worry that we aren't going to progress with the current coaching setup. From my understanding Ben Benson is the GK coach and he was promoted from the u18s along with David Lowe who became first team coach? Last year it seemed to be our quality of players at that level that pushed us over the line and never did we have a particular style of play. This year whereby we don't have the best squad in the division and need the coaching and development of a style of play it appears our coaching isn't up to scratch. 

Just wondering if I am talking rubbish or if people agree that our current backroom staff department is severely under par? 

• Like 3

• Backroom

No point spending £7m on young players if the coaching isn't up to scratch. There definitely needs to be a serious review of the coaching structure at Ewood, as our players are making the same mistakes over and over with no signs of progressing. If anything we're going backwards.

• Like 1

The way it should work is the manager/head coach comes in and appoints his own coaching team. Mowbray didn't do that when he first arrived, and in the 2 years since has only appointed his trusted sidekick Venus to the coaching staff. I have my suspicions that Mowbray was instructed from above to appoint his staff from within the club, which is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The way it should work is the manager/head coach comes in and appoints his own coaching team. Mowbray didn't do that when he first arrived, and in the 2 years since has only appointed his trusted sidekick Venus to the coaching staff. I have my suspicions that Mowbray was instructed from above to appoint his staff from within the club, which is a recipe for disaster. 

Since Venky's took over only Appleton and Lambert have brought in their own staff and that only because the previous staff had been fired.

• Like 2

There was talk when Coyle got the job that Irvine and Kelly had been consulted on the appointment and the club announced that they would be staying on afterwards. They then conveniently got jobs elsewhere to create vacancies for Coyles pals to fill.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I’ve said for a long time that I don’t think Benny Ben Benningben is the right person to help Raya, and got shot down by Chaddy.

Raya has great reflexes but it’s obvious he needs to refine the finer arts of goalkeeping and as good or nice as he may be I don’t see how a 28 year old who hasn’t lived it can help him.

You need a keeper who’s been there and done it and bounced back after a howler.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’ve said for a long time that I don’t think Benny Ben Benningben is the right person to help Raya, and got shot down by Chaddy.

Raya has great reflexes but it’s obvious he needs to refine the finer arts of goalkeeping and as good or nice as he may be I don’t see how a 28 year old who hasn’t lived it can help him.

You need a keeper who’s been there and done it and bounced back after a howler.

You mean Ben Benson Tom?  

You can have your opinion by all means. 

I think Raya needs dropping and stop him believing he is automatic choice. And I would like to see another keeper come in and challenge him. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You mean Ben Benson Tom?  

You can have your opinion by all means. 

I think Raya needs dropping and stop him believing he is automatic choice. And I would like to see another keeper come in and challenge him. 

Raya needs proper coaching.  It's not all in a text book. 

If Mowbray had bought a decent keeper as backup and not just a day off card then maybe Raya would have had someone to challenge him.  He's had it far too easy, to his detriment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Raya needs proper coaching.  It's not all in a text book. 

If Mowbray had bought a decent keeper as backup and not just a day off card then maybe Raya would have had someone to challenge him.  He's had it far too easy, to his detriment. 

I want to see a keeper come in and challenge him for number 1 spot. 

You'vre got an inexperienced coach coaching a raw keeper at first team level it's ridiculous really what can he pass on ?   They should never have let Keeley go he was responsible for bringing Raya though and I feel he'd be a better keeper now if he'd had another year or two under him. Steele although never great went backwards almost straight away when JK left.

These appointments probably fell under the league one cost cutting but now we aren't in league 1 anymore, another area that needs upgrading but Ewood still resembles a bit  of a jobs for the boys outfit.

The buck stops with Mowbray.  He appoints his staff and is presumably happy with what he sees. 

Venus - it's quite clear from the Mowbray evening in Blues some ten days ago, Mowbray rates Venus highly but then again, he rated Brereton highly enough to commit Rovers to £7m+.  Enough said.

Lowe - to me, he's an underwhelming individual who lacks presence.  He's never impressed me in any role he's had at Rovers. 

Benson - wasn't it Kinder who brought Benson from Carlisle?  I think he started off as a community coach at Carlisle from leaving school and I don't think he's ever played professional football.  Raya needs an experienced respected coach who knows the game inside out.  I think Benson is way, way out of his league.

Based upon results, performances and, IMO, the dire football I see in the main, I think Mowbray and his three stooges need binning.

To lose any game of football hurts but to lose as, IMO, abysmally as we do on too many occasions suggests to me there is something sadly lacking with our manager and his coaching staff.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...