BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

I think a clean sheet on Magloire’s debut not only shows he is at least able at this level, it emphasises the importance of playing centre backs at centre back.

I reckon that Lenihan can now also be called a centre back, he’s played there long enough for us and has a scrappiness to him that I like.

Mulgrew isn’t a centre back at this level, and Rodwell is passable when alongside a runner like Lenihan. But I honestly believe we need to be investing in 2 centre backs capable of starting, with back up coming from Lenihan, Rodwell and the u23s. As noted in the transfer window thread, Hanley and Bauer would set us up nicely.

Any other positions, we have decent quality but need to start upgrading.

Makes you think why Mowbray doesn't play more under 23s I bet there's a few more that are better than the current seniors just Mowbray too nervous to play them.

Rothwell needs to start too, but not instead of Armstrong. Armstrong has his faults ;lazy without the ball and decisions making, but Dack and him have a connection. It seems at times, even when we are struggling, the Dack pass between the centre half and full back to Armstrong is the only pass that we consistently pull off(that isn't a long ball) Dack needs more options in front of him with attacking intent. Rothwell ticks that box.

Really a game of two halves last night. First we were awful, second we took control. All because of Graham settling the nerves. What we do without him? Relegation battle I'd say. He is crucial to the team. 

Reed and Travis, jury out. Reed was the better of the two first half, but Travis much better second half. 

It looked like we were crippled with nerves and became a different team when 2-3 up. 

I just loved Dacks goal. He's a little terrier! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Got to give TM credit for throwing the young lad in at the back although yes the situation is part down to him and he didn't have a lot of choice but it's still on his head.

Big credit for that and if we start looking safe again i'd throw a lot more of them in in key positions and leave them there that'll show bottle and show the 'senior' pros they need to shape up or sod off.  Only places safe of the seniors for me are Graham and Dack for obvious reasons although the former needs managing and the latter needs a kick up the arse and extra running drills now and again !

Get that vibrant young hungry team out there they don't need the play off positions to motivate them they've got a point to prove and get Johnson and the touchline as well !

Waggot it's time to earn your money and have a word although those in Pune might just question why all these players on north of ten grand per week and extended contracts are now sat on the bench !!!

Edited by tomphil

18 minutes ago, Neal said:

From the under 23's who are we realistically looking at that looks good enough to have an impact on our 1st 11? Butterworth? Buckley? 

I would throw JRC and Stefan Mols in the mix as well, they seem as ready as Tyler. Not forgetting the Doyles. C. Doyle could play CB.

Hell, if there's nothing to play for, we could throw in even Jack Vale (I like how he drives direct), Jack Evans when he's back (LB) and possibly the young Hayden Carter (seems to be able to play in several positions), these 3 are abit behind in development just yet me thinks.

Edited by Tugay's Right Foot

What a massive relief to get the 3 points, which should be enough to survive given the gap. With a couple of tough away games coming up where wins will be unlikely we simply had to get the 3 points last night. To get 3 goals and a clean sheet should hopefully improve the confidence.

A few bold decisions by Mowbray, the inclusion of Magloire was certainly one that didn't fill me with optimism in the car on the way over, but very pleased to see him perform and come out with a clean sheet.

On the downside I felt for the first 45-60 minutes we were poor. Going in at half time we were saved by the penalty but other than that we'd offered little. Only once we were 2-0 up in the last 30 minutes did we start to play some good stuff and looked like we were dangerous.

Lots of work to do but given the circumstances with injuries and form delighted to get a 3-0 win.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Had a look at Wigan's Instagaram page and all the comments to a man were calling for Cook's head.

Can't say I was sad.....

Made every goal last night that bit sweeter, he spent the last few months of last season acting like a kid calling Rovers out & trying to goad us around something that nobody really cared about. Comes across as very unlikeable in general too. Who's laughing now Cooky?

Seems fitting that he was part of the shambles of a Dingles side that got violated 5-0 at Ewood on April Fools Day!

• Like 1

Last night we had four Academy graduates playing and they all played really well. I'll be happy if another two or three under 23's can get some game time over the coming weeks after the notion of 'not being ready' or 'too big a step up' was broken last night. One way or another these lads are our future.

I understand that Paul Cook and Joe Royle have complained to the EFL about the penalty. I thought it was a penalty but Reed was clever how he got it. He knew he was coming in on the blind side of the Wigan player and if he got there first there would be some contact with his upper body. It was a turning point in the game but I don't think anybody was say it was definitely wrong.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

You and I must have been watching a different game.

What in particular did you disagree with?

I dont get how you can describe Rothwell as the most talented man at the club and the man of the match based on yesterdays cameo. Hes undoubtedly talented but he gets better by being on the bench. Definitely deserves more minutes with Armstrong deserving to be dropped. But hes done nothing substantial enough in his cameos to warrant such a tag either. Dack is undoubtedly the most talented player we have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

come to think of it, even though some of us are excited about blooding youngsters, there are still players to be tried out. hope TM gives starts to Chapman, Davenport and Big Ben, just to see where they may stand for next season.

and then there are Gladwon and Dom Samuel

I actually forgot about Gladwin and Samuel.

Assuming Gladwin won't kick a ball for us again and be released in the summer.

Samuel has a lot of work to do to prove he is good enough for this level.

48 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Last night we had four Academy graduates playing and they all played really well. I'll be happy if another two or three under 23's can get some game time over the coming weeks after the notion of 'not being ready' or 'too big a step up' was broken last night. One way or another these lads are our future.

I understand that Paul Cook and Joe Royle have complained to the EFL about the penalty. I thought it was a penalty but Reed was clever how he got it. He knew he was coming in on the blind side of the Wigan player and if he got there first there would be some contact with his upper body. It was a turning point in the game but I don't think anybody was say it was definitely wrong.

That will be at Cook's behest. 

Will this come under the "can't profit by cheating" rule,  the one Dwight Gayle was recently banned under for "successful deception of a match official"

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I also feel like it would be controversial to say, but Mulgrew would have had an equally comfortable day as Magloire last night, even after his rotten form following his latest injury.

Magloire did himself proud but he was very well protected and also massively aided by a very poor Wigan. Might be a far bigger test on Saturday against an in form Steven Fletcher who will bully him.

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Has Paul Cook ever agreed with a penalty against his teams?

I can't stand the man although last night he and his team looked a pale shadow of the team we battled with last season. We question at times how much we have progressed this season but in Wigan's case they look well short of what they were last year.

6 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Do not forget Lenihan, Butty?

I was more referring too the players we had in the starting lineup last night. I don’t think many other teams would have 4 academy graduates in their starting line up. Nice too see ??

• Like 1

• Backroom

Some quotes from the commentator last night that made me chuckle:

"That was pretty unconvincing by Raya."  (a kicked clearance)

"That was a hefty touch by Armstrong"

"Blackburn have been having some difficulties in defence recently. "

You could basically shoehorn those into any game of any stage of this season. 

• Backroom

The thing with Magloire is even at his age he was pretty much acting as the senior man in the back line; sure he got beat to some headers but I can recall 3 or 4 times when he threw himself into a block.

He May have a mistake in him but all our CB’s do, maybe more of a Hanley than.Jones (when he was good) and I think he’ll be a real asset especially with a full first team pre season 

Last night should move Nuttall behind Brereton as well, would have been a good time to give Ben a go and get a goal.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Has Paul Cook ever agreed with a penalty against his teams?

I can't stand the man although last night he and his team looked a pale shadow of the team we battled with last season. We question at times how much we have progressed this season but in Wigan's case they look well short of what they were last year.

Ya, it's interesting isn't it? All the talk of new owners and money to spend and they are far worse than last season. I suppose they did sell Burn and Grigg who are arguably their 2 best players. I also felt they missed Power int he middle, who they also sold to Sunderland. 

Their defence in particular was shambolic. The 3 errors were worse than anything we have done defensively in a game and that's saying something! 

I would be very worried if I was a Wigan fan. They looked rank. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom

Another thing that was noticeable was how much poorer and less intense they were than the team we faced in the second half last season.

Rubber Dinghy men they don’t look up for a relegation scrap 

Just now, Tom said:

The thing with Magloire is even at his age he was pretty much acting as the senior man in the back line; sure he got beat to some headers but I can recall 3 or 4 times when he threw himself into a block.

He May have a mistake in him but all our CB’s do, maybe more of a Hanley than.Jones (when he was good) and I think he’ll be a real asset especially with a full first team pre season 

In fairness to Magloire, Nyambe and Willaims all 2 were prepared to throw themselves into headers and blocks. Contrast that with Rodwell and ,in particular, Mulgrew. Neither are balls to the walls defenders. You need them for the battles in this division. 

Cook won't be used to this sort of position. He's never managed at this level before this season, he's no longer a big fish in a small pond as he was at Wigan, Portsmouth and even arguably Chesterfield when they had a bit of money behind them. Apart from his brief spell at Stanley he's never really had to battle against bigger and better equipped sides.

Observing the way he conducts himself on the touchline I can see one or two pampered players getting a bit fed up of his approach.

• Like 1