BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday away Sat 16th March

Honourable mention to Rothwell and Buckley however the 4 goals conceded were so horrifically, depressingly bad I can’t be arsed to comment on anything else. A change(s) required.

Atleast our next away game, with us having conceded the most away goals out of all the 92, is only away at Villa. They’ve only won their last 4 on the bounce. Christ.

12 minutes ago, Amo said:

We’ve been a soft touch for a long time now. Seriously, when was the last time we had a decent backline? Even when we had Dann, Duffy, Hanley etc. we still struggled to keep teams out.

Someone will dust off a stat showing how few goals we conceded during that time. It was quite misleading as Dann, Hanley and Duffy used to slip and fall all over the place. We never looked solid and I once remember Hanley and Duffy playing about 30yards apart and hissy fitting with each other.

I'd have them back tomorrow though!

• Like 1

Just now, Roboftherovers82 said:

Raya defiantly needs dropped his confidence is totally shot since he got injured

Tony really needs to spend most of the budget on defence in summer cause its a total utter mess

Do any of you trust tony to make the correct signings we need in the summer cause i cant see it at all sadly 

Mowbray is really good for the club but as results are showing, not for the team. I would gladly create a role for him as a 'director of football' or 'groveller to the owners' and give someone else a go. 

• Like 3

We'd have struggled aerially against Wednesday with our normal back four.  

Today was just par for the course.  Expected us to lose  and we did -in the normal fashion! 

Not even upset tonight.  Moved back into apathetic mode. 

Good luck shifting season tickets Mr Waggott.  Perhaps you will tell us how genuinely exciting our summer signings will be? Oh...you did that last year.....

I noticed Sheff Weds already had their early bird deal out...

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

it’s getting to the stage where Raya is making a goal costing ricket every other game.

Agreed, he needs dropping for his own benefit. I don’t ever want to see a goalkeeper look as lost as Jake Kean did in the end so for his own sake Raya needs taking out of the firing line.

Just now, cesus said:

Agreed, he needs dropping for his own benefit. I don’t ever want to see a goalkeeper look as lost as Jake Kean did in the end so for his own sake Raya needs taking out of the firing line.

There's a reason, Raya never started to play for this club until we reached league one. End of story.

11 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Honourable mention to Rothwell and Buckley however the 4 goals conceded were so horrifically, depressingly bad I can’t be arsed to comment on anything else. A change(s) required.

Atleast our next away game, with us having conceded the most away goals out of all the 92, is only away at Villa. They’ve only won their last 4 on the bounce. Christ.

And the 6ft 4 Abrahams

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who/what will he blame today? The sunshine, moonlight, good times or the boogie?

Injuries to the defence. The same defence he could’ve spent 7m on, and glaringly had to, rather than blowing it on a 19 yo striker that hasn’t played. All whilst thinking an actual centre back and two converted midfielders at the back would suffice whilst loaning out two other centre backs. True story.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

it’s getting to the stage where Raya is making a goal costing ricket every other game.

There's a reason he never played for us until we reached league one, Matt. He isn't good enough, never has been. Distribution is truly atrocious, worst I've ever seen from a keeper, his arieal prowess is woeful, and his command and leadership in his own box is non-exsistent. However it's fine, as he makes a few decent saves every now again.

Raya is supposed to be this highly rated young keeper except really he was only highly rated by a handful who watched him in our development squad and that when they weren't all that good so it didn't take much to stand out.

Still young and learning on the job - something else that adds to make this team so weak at the back - however he lacks all the basic good fundamentals that make a highly rated young keeper apart from cat like reflexes and that doesn't on its own.

David James was highly rated as a youngster and he stood out a mile he didn't make these kind of bi weekly gaffs nor did Hart they just got exposed at top level. All those times training with Steele seem to have left their mark this lad is no better than Clint was.

Edited by tomphil

Neil Yardley on comms summed up the Rovers set up perfectly for me.

When Rothwell got taken out by an horrendous tackle, our players didn’t bat an eyelid and just ambled back into position.

Yardley:

’Most sides would’ve been backing up their team mate, getting in his face. Far too soft this lot’.

Follows on from the naive nonsense kicking the ball out last week.

This is pro football and we are in an relentless league. Need to get real.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Only watched the second half, although I have seen the first goal too. 

Mowbray will point to the fact that we have defensive injuries, but hes orchestrated us into a situation where we only have 2 very injury prone centre backs to begin with. He signed a midfielder (as an alternative to Bauer) who has almost exclusively looked out of position playing at centre back. He let Downing go, a competent League 1 defender (possibly no more) because he was 5th choice in Mowbrays mind. If that was the case, fair enough. If he thinks as a centre back, Downing (who is actually willing to head a ball) is worse than Williams and Rodwell, then he is talking out of his arse. To compound matters, Mowbray doesnt understand that versatility is all well and good but you cant play a player in 2 positions at once. Williams is also our (probably) second choice left back. 

All the while, he has a 7m striker who he dropped into the reserves to get his confidence up and has not played a minute since. His recruitment this season simply cannot be defended. The defensive mess we see at the moment, he will probably put down to injuries, but its down to him.

Ultimately, Magloire is nowhere near up to it, hes been thrown in miles above his level and he can't head a ball. Shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.

Williams is much more experienced but equally hapless. An absolute coward of a defender. 

Raya is nowhere near good enough, hes edging towards Jake Kean levels of being out of his depth and costing us directly on an almost weekly basis. Mowbrays words the other week have proven to be hollow and empty ones.

Bennett was ok and finally scored a bloody goal but hes never a left back in a million years. Nyambe cannot head a ball either. As part of a settled back 4, id suggest he would be fine.

Evans I thought had a shocker and Reed may as well have not bothered. Armstrong didnt look like he could be arsed when he came on either, and Dack had a frustrating day but superb footwork for the second.

Positives, Rothwell was at times frustrating but ultimately constantly trying to create goal scoring opportunities, which he did for our first. He should be given a run of games.

Thought Travis was ok, and Buckley looked very composed albeit he is as soft as shit, and showed his naivety when letting them counter at one point. But technically looked very able and promising.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Someone will dust off a stat showing how few goals we conceded during that time. It was quite misleading as Dann, Hanley and Duffy used to slip and fall all over the place. We never looked solid and I once remember Hanley and Duffy playing about 30yards apart and hissy fitting with each other.

I'd have them back tomorrow though!

Haha I misread that...I thought it said "how few goals we conceded during half time"..Come back Mr Kean, all is...naah

• Like 1

Noticed that TM’s latest player dig was at Rothwell (Radio Lancs interview post match). Not for his performance today but still - why the heck did he need to give him a public rollicking when he was probably our best player today?

So that’s now Raya and Rothwell, all while the likes of Del Williams keep getting a pat on the back. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Tony having a go at Rothwell on Radio Lancashier but Williams doesn't  get a mention  what a poor player this guy his if he still here next season i'm worried for us. Evans, Smallwood , Conway must go aswell we need two or three big strong center halves and a left and right back going forward where not that far off  we can score goals