BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday away Sat 16th March

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray simply doesn’t know how to get the best out of Rothwell, like with Palmer he is a flair player who is capable of winning games. Mowbray doesn’t know what to do with those sort of players. He would much rather have someone like Bennett or Smallwood who run around like headless chickens but lack any quality that is going to win you a game.

Rothwell either can't or won't be assimilated into a Mowbraybot.

The difficulty arrives when Rothwell gets on the pitch and looks a player, Mowbray is then reduced to slagging him off in public, and those who have seen him play with their own "eyes" find this a bit odd.

I hope Rothwell retains his flair even if it means he has to move to a more enlightened manager. 

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

That thought struck me too. Sounds like he’s had enough of the lot of them, but then he has either bought them or given them extended deals, and is now basically telling them he’s buying better players in the summer. Mulgrew, Williams, Rodwell, Reed and Evans play like they don’t give a shit. The only glimmer of light I can see is that the lads from the U23s, plus Graham to be fair, are our best players, still putting in a shift. Dack I’m not sure ever cared about anything but himself and is showing why he was at Gillingham so long.

It’s going to be a long last 8 games.

I can't help but think Rodwell is just a fair weather friend.

I think Dacks level is with us in the Championship,  I doubt he would go for much more than £5 mil anyway. 

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

That’s a great point. Most proper football managers would expect kissing Desai’s ring to be Waggott’s job not theirs.

She isn’t like that at all. In any case it’s her business and against all the nonsense she wants it to succeed no doubt surprisingly to some of you.

Just now, roversmum said:

She isn’t like that at all. In any case it’s her business and against all the nonsense she wants it to succeed no doubt surprisingly to some of you.

You’ve seriously broken your hiatus to defend Venkys?

If they really wanted this club to succeed then we wouldn’t all be terrified of them appointing yet another cheap and inferior manager as a reason to continue to put up with a failing one who is a ‘very nice man’. Instead of the regular chaos, we would have a proper Club Chairman, a 5-year and 10-year plan and appropriate budgets, and maybe even a lick of paint.

But let me put you right, it’s a football club so it’s not just her business, it’s all of our business. She needs to learn that. I’m only surprised that you do too.

• Like 1

Just now, roversmum said:

She wants it to succeed? We are around £120m in debt, the vast majority accrued on their watch. We have lost around ten thousand fans and have had people in charge of the club who bordered on being corrupt. And many, many other things that I honestly can't be bothered writing down.

So I am astonished she wants us to succeed given her and her families calamitous and destructive reign.

• Like 4

Part of me wants Mowbray to loan out Rothwell just to see what he does somewhere else who gives him a proper chance and run in the team. If he’s not going to play here then we might as well send him out.

Ridiculous to single him out whereas Williams and Raya have been making errors week in week out.

Another point is why did we bother signing Chapman in January? He might as well still be at Boro if he’s not going to play.

5 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

No problem with TM's interview.  We all know we have problems in defence, caused by multiple injuries.  A few weeks ago we were brilliant, winning with ease.  These things happen in football.

The part in bold can be removed. In the last 2 games, we have had serious problems with injuries, fair play, although even then he deserves no sympathy. 

Hes neglected that whole area of the pitch. Hes had more than enough money and more than enough windows to address it. He simply hasnt bothered.

You look in goal, weve a keeper who is making major mistakes on an almost weekly basis, who the manager has publically criticised, but its an empty threat to drop him because the only competition is well off the level to challenge him. At left back, every man and his dog has seen that Williams isnt up to it. He has actually tried to add competition here, sadly Bell cannot defend one on one, as a defender he is quite cowardly. His only right back signing has departed, the short term, cheap option of Caddis, and now a promising but at times inconsistent Nyambes only competition is Bennett who is a liability at right back but his "versatility" is vastly over-estimated by a manager who is too loyal to him. At centre back is the biggest shit show. He bid for a blood and thunder centre back in Bauer, didnt get him, so for no rational reason whatsoever he then signed a midfielder to try (and fail) to convert into a competent centre half. He considered a decidedly average but fairly reliable centre back as expendable as a left back and central midfielder, both of whom are clearly not up to it as centre backs are above him in the pecking order.

We have had the same problem in terms of defensive ineptness throughout the season. 2 weeks ago we had 2 of the 3 "centre backs" available to us at Rotherham and ended up having the same debate about the embarassment whenever the ball is played into our box. Before that, Lenihan played most games including the 5 goal horror show at Brentford. He is our best centre back but thats not saying anything. Indeed, these players have had their best runs in terms of reputation when not in the team. Theyve all contributed.

The stats dont lie, weve conceded 42 goals in 19 away games, more than anyone else, and the 4th most in the league overall. And that is in spite of playing a "defensive winger" and 2 holding midfielders, so its not as if we are conceding due to overly attacking tactics. When weve got a 7m project striker who never plays its unforgivable. Why trust him with another window?

To be fair, there were plenty on here in January saying how fantastic Rodwell was , a 'Rolls-Royce of a centre half at this level' etc. The fact Ipswich and Hull were dreadful didn't seem to come into it.

Alas, it seems Mowbray fell for it too...

25 minutes ago, roversmum said:

I’d be amazed if she gives rovers a seconds thought. Just something she bought once (probably wish she hadn’t) which requires a bit of cash every now and again.

Everything about their tenure would suggest at best their apathy is such that success and failure are both met with a shrug of the shoulders and at worse their incompetence suggests deliberate sabotage.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The part in bold can be removed. In the last 2 games, we have had serious problems with injuries, fair play, although even then he deserves no sympathy. 

Hes neglected that whole area of the pitch. Hes had more than enough money and more than enough windows to address it. He simply hasnt bothered.

You look in goal, weve a keeper who is making major mistakes on an almost weekly basis, who the manager has publically criticised, but its an empty threat to drop him because the only competition is well off the level to challenge him. At left back, every man and his dog has seen that Williams isnt up to it. He has actually tried to add competition here, sadly Bell cannot defend one on one, as a defender he is quite cowardly. His only right back signing has departed, the short term, cheap option of Caddis, and now a promising but at times inconsistent Nyambes only competition is Bennett who is a liability at right back but his "versatility" is vastly over-estimated by a manager who is too loyal to him. At centre back is the biggest shit show. He bid for a blood and thunder centre back in Bauer, didnt get him, so for no rational reason whatsoever he then signed a midfielder to try (and fail) to convert into a competent centre half. He considered a decidedly average but fairly reliable centre back as expendable as a left back and central midfielder, both of whom are clearly not up to it as centre backs are above him in the pecking order.

We have had the same problem in terms of defensive ineptness throughout the season. 2 weeks ago we had 2 of the 3 "centre backs" available to us at Rotherham and ended up having the same debate about the embarassment whenever the ball is played into our box. Before that, Lenihan played most games including the 5 goal horror show at Brentford. He is our best centre back but thats not saying anything. Indeed, these players have had their best runs in terms of reputation when not in the team. Theyve all contributed.

The stats dont lie, weve conceded 42 goals in 19 away games, more than anyone else, and the 4th most in the league overall. And that is in spite of playing a "defensive winger" and 2 holding midfielders, so its not as if we are conceding due to overly attacking tactics. When weve got a 7m project striker who never plays its unforgivable. Why trust him with another window?

Sat here in later January the world was a fantastic view.  No surprise, considering the last few years that we have challenges on the pitch, but that's what happen to clubs from time to time.  All managers make mistakes and we are in tough run, but with the young players coming through and some prudent signings and outgoing we should do well next season.  

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

Sat here in later January the world was a fantastic view.  No surprise, considering the last few years that we have challenges on the pitch, but that's what happen to clubs from time to time.  All managers make mistakes and we are in tough run, but with the young players coming through and some prudent signings and outgoing we should do well next season.  

That fantastic January falls within a run of 10 losses in 16 games. Theres making mistakes but theres also a constant negligence of the defence over a period of 4 transfer windows, armed with well over 10m, from a manager who left his last club with the parting regret of not signing a dominant centre back, yet hes replicated it here.

His signings overall at this club have been overall pretty poor. For me this hope that hes going to fix it all in the summer seems a little fanciful.

My god, can people please listen to Mowbray's interview before waying into the Rothwell debate. The interview is 4 minutes. 

Personally I thought Mowbray was very prickly about the topic. It was like he thought the interviewer was implying Rothwell should start more. In fairness he didn't refer to him being a child yesterday though, he said he did well, but that he can be like a child sometimes. Overall not a great thing to say and it seems he has some issues with Rothwell. Wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was Rothwell and it is hard to see him ever flourishing under Mowbray. I think we could end up filing Rothwell in the "ones who got away" category. 

In general Mowbray came accross as very annoyed in the interview. Even when asked about our goals, he brought it back to the poor defending for their goals. It's just why is he only seeing how poor we are definsivley now? Why let Downing go? He hasn't and isn't doing himself any favours. 

What he will need to do to give me hope for next season is to sign a centre half early in the window. Im taking about spending 5 million plus on one. Then he needs to sign and keeper and sell Williams. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

My god, can people please listen to Mowbray's interview before waying into the Rothwell debate. The interview is 4 minutes. 

Personally I thought Mowbray was very prickly about the topic. It was like he thought the interviewer was implying Rothwell should start more. In fairness he didn't refer to him being a child yesterday though, he said he did well, but that he can be like a child sometimes. Overall not a great thing to say and it seems he has some issues with Rothwell. Wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was Rothwell and it is hard to see him ever flourishing under Mowbray. I think we could end up filing Rothwell in the "ones who got away" category. 

In general Mowbray came accross as very annoyed in the interview. Even when asked about our goals, he brought it back to the poor defending for their goals. It's just why is he only seeing how poor we are definsivley now? Why let Downing go? He hasn't and isn't doing himself any favours. 

What he will need to do to give me hope for next season is to sign a centre half early in the window. Im taking about spending 5 million plus on one. Then he needs to sign and keeper and sell Williams. 

No he said rothwell was 'like a little boy out there'. 

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Neither do you,  yet still seem to claim it as some sort of defence. 

I also see those who claim that the fee is nowhere near the £7 million,  that's millions!, often quoted. Not that they have a clue either. 

OK I don't if you say so 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is no chance of spending 5M on a centre half. Be lucky if 1M is spent. It's not part of the pot for the special project which until Bretherton is sold at a future date won't be replenished either with a profit or with a substantial loss on the present form

If this current run was at the start of the season and we sat bottom of the league on 4 points after 9 matches I don't think anyone would be defending the manger.

If we were a normal club with a competent board made up of people who understand football I would say now is the perfect time to change the manager - International break for him to settle in and then 8 games to assess the current playing staff. Then recruit over the summer ready for next season.

However, we are not a normal club. VO.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, tomphil said:

I don't think the not backing up of team mates is anything untoward I think it's just a sign of the times. Nowt to play for so won't lose my place, seasons over we're just going through the motions it doesn't really matter so just get on with it why get worked up type thing

Why get worked up ?  They're supposed to be pro athletes with a bit of pride in themselves and the shirt. I bloody hated losing, after losing a game like that I'd have to lie down in a darkened room to calm down. There's nothing beating under that badge and it's been like that for ages. When that Dingle got on the pitch at the Turf years ago our lads faced him down, this lot would have run away.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5