BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday away Sat 16th March

Personally to start things off, I would try to get two center-halves, and a left back. Other positions would be nice, but until the defence is sorted it would be a waste of time. Sorry wrong thread.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We'll do well if we get £5 million from the owners full stop. Out of that we need 7-8 decent players all on relatively low wages. Unless Mowbray and his new scouting system are going to be pulling rabbits out of the hat or unless Venkys suddenly significantly increase the kitty we're in difficulties.

Alex Neill is doing ok at PNE and he's built a team on £5m and low wages. It's the manager that is the most important piece of the jigsaw.

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Alex Neill is doing ok at PNE and he's built a team on £5m and low wages. It's the manager that is the most important piece of the jigsaw.

PNE are run properly - we aren't.

I'd bet that their owner and board will have a budget ready for the summer and a plan for what players they will be going for. We won't have a clue until our lot fly out to India and Madame finds time to speak to them.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

PNE are run properly - we aren't.

I'd bet that their owner and board will have a budget ready for the summer and a plan for what players they will be going for. We won't have a clue until our lot fly out to India and Madame finds time to speak to them.

You said we would have to increase the budget or we'll be in difficulties. I was just pointing out other clubs do well on a smaller budget. We all know we aren't properly run. 

Very disappointing to hear negative comments about Rothwell only to then read gushing guff like this:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/march/versatile-bennett-so-handy-to-have/

I reckon I could count the decent ‘balls into the box’ TM refers to on one hand during his time here. He’s had one heck of a mediocre season but let’s shower him with praise, Tony - he’s been quality. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

I was in a beery haze but I did wonder where the hell Rothwell was for the first and last goals that we conceded. Probably still running forwards into blind alleys rather than getting back to help.

Anyway, my report:

I don’t want to see Derek Williams ever again, and our defending is a disgrace.

Played some nice stuff though.

Bloody hate Wednesday.

46 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Very disappointing to hear negative comments about Rothwell only to then read gushing guff like this:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/march/versatile-bennett-so-handy-to-have/

I reckon I could count the decent ‘balls into the box’ TM refers to on one hand during his time here. He’s had one heck of a mediocre season but let’s shower him with praise, Tony - he’s been quality. 

Speaking hypothetically if I was a manager and maybe i'd fallen out with my most senior and experienced player who was my captain and he'd done one I think I might be going to great lengths to butter up the next one or two down in the pecking order.  Even if it meant accommodating them in the team somewhere / anywhere to keep them and the rest onside.

I don't think even his fiercest disciples would argue that TM does stuff and always has that's a bit detrimental to a best 11 in their best formations settled side in favour of putting harmony first and players involvement.  That's why they love him as a man manager but i'd also say it's a contributor to the inconsistency and has lost as many points as its won overall.

On 16/03/2019 at 18:28, AAK said:

To come out and single out, Rothwell, is a disgrace when shithouses such as Mulgrew, Bennett, Williams and Evans, have been absolutely shite all season, as well as his two big signings Armstrong and Brereton, who are both underwhelming.

Odd indeed, looks like we won't be seeing him again.  Very very strange.

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

I was in a beery haze but I did wonder where the hell Rothwell was for the first and last goals that we conceded. Probably still running forwards into blind alleys rather than getting back to help.

Anyway, my report:

Bloody hate Wednesday.

Surely if you were the manager picking Rothwell, it wouldn’t be for his defensive qualities?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Surely if you were the manager picking Rothwell, it wouldn’t be for his defensive qualities?

Every wide player in the world has defensive responsibilities.

I like Rothwell, but if he consistently finds himself robbed down blind alleys and we’re being countered, should we not at least expect the effort to get back?

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Every wide player in the world has defensive responsibilities.

I like Rothwell, but if he consistently finds himself robbed down blind alleys and we’re being countered, should we not at least expect the effort to get back?

Nail on head mate. Rothwell isn’t a wide player. Mowbray just randomly puts him and others people out there.

• Like 1

We'll have to figure out how to play Mulgrew as he's the club captain and he's someone who contributes a lot when on song, and I think Bell is a player who can be developed over time.

Williams needs to go though, hopefully someone will be daft enough to give us a few grand. Also we should cut short the deal talks with Rodwell, and focus the budget on genuine defenders.

We don't need anything fancy. Just a couple of guys who can head the ball, have a bit of pace, and can sense danger and react.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Anyway, my report:

Bloody hate Wednesday.

I don't get you (or anyone) saying we played some nice stuff

We LOST.

Everything else is immaterial.

Edited by barry_

57 minutes ago, barry_ said:

I don't get you (or anyone) saying we played some nice stuff

We LOST.

Everything else is immaterial.

It’s hardly irrelevant when we are talking about the things that went wrong, what we can improve and where we might be going.

Shall we sack everyone in the squad? Continue just lumping it forward blindly or see that we have the ability to pass it and work with that? Sign players that might suit? Keep players or give those that played well more game time? How can you think that positives are immaterial when discussing a blummin football match?

Sort our embarrassingly shambolic defence out and it could be seen as evidence that we have the bones of a team that can hurt decent sides by playing a passing game.

Fair play if you don’t want to talk about it, but your comment contributes zilch.

I know wE lOsT!!? but please excuse those of us that are trying to look further than the end of our blood vessel bust noses from the last 90 minutes and attempt to express things in less binary terms.

Cheers.

Edited by S8 & Blue

Has Tony told the story about when he had a football attached to a washing line which was attached to the pit pulley when he was a working class lad who was just starting out on a journey to change the face of modern football with his revolutionary ideas? It's a belter. It ends with none of his players being able to head the ball but everyone agreeing they are all lovely lads and good humans. 

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think the football under Mowbray is generally 2nd rate Allardyce going forward. At the back we're 2nd rate Coyle. 

Any signs of improvement are to be welcomed. 

There is no one who gets you out of your seat on a regular basis in this side at present

• Like 1

Just now, Rogerb said:

There is no one who gets you out of your seat on a regular basis in this side at present

Start of the season Dack was quality, but that's fallen by the wayside for some reason.

If we could sort out the defence and play Rothwell , Dack and Chapman behind the striker that would be with watching.

All contingent on having a good defence though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Start of the season Dack was quality, but that's fallen by the wayside for some reason.

If we could sort out the defence and play Rothwell , Dack and Chapman behind the striker that would be with watching.

All contingent on having a good defence though.

Agree that Rothwell, Dack and Chapman behind a quality new main striker who doesn't need the ball hoofing high and long would indeed be worth watching. Can you honestly ever see TM playing that way though?

I'd say it would also be dependent on having a proper defensive midfielder behind them instead of Evans who generally goes through the motions. Can't see Evans being fired off (which also desperately needs to happen) either whilst TM is in charge though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree that Rothwell, Dack and Chapman behind a quality new main striker who doesn't need the ball hoofing high and long would indeed be worth watching. Can you honestly ever see TM playing that way though?

I'd say it would also be dependent on having a proper defensive midfielder behind them instead of Evans who generally goes through the motions. Can't see Evans being fired off (which also desperately needs to happen) either whilst TM is in charge though.

Rubbish. Graham is good on the floor but unfortunately it requires less thought from those behind him to kick it in the air knowing that Graham does often turn that trash into treasure.

• Like 4

• Backroom

We've got plenty of players who can "move" but most of the time give us sod all in return. Meanwhile Graham is our top scorer. Think there are a lot of positions to look at before talking about replacing DG.