BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

16 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Andy Bayes at radio Lancs swears blind that Jaoa was one Coyle wanted.

"My client asks me to tell you" lol

"Radio Pretend everything is normal! "They closed down the mention of agents and Senior's wife last night. That connection is a matter of record.

Can't help comparing the comments of Sutton to those of Gallacher. And Good on Brett Ormerod with his "patronising Paul"....

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 3

Well it's not the worst appointment imaginable, which is about the best you can hope for under Venkies. 

He isn't tainted in the same way Coyle was by agents etc and he does try to play good football.

All that matters really is if he keeps us up. 

A firend of a friend worked for him at Boro. Said he was as nice a bloke as you could ever wish to meet. A proper decent individual with integrity. 

Welcome to the madhouse Tony and wishing you the best of luck.

• Like 1

As the day has gone on, I think it is a decent appointment. I like managers who tell it as it is and I think he'll be like that. He has shown he can get teams to survive and also, guided one to promotion. He's got the experience that we used to cry out for and most importantly, isn't a full kit keaner like Owen Coyle.

• Like 2

On learning of the appointment I was not just underwhelmed but extremely disappointed.

But, thanks to the posters' links to Coventry and Boro fans' forums, reading the views of these fans has lifted my spirits no end.

So now I say welcome Tony Mowbray and good luck. You're going to need it. Let's see if you can save us.

• Like 4

Just now, arbitro said:

Good read. You could switch coventry for rovers and reprint it ☺. Let's see what he says.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pedro said:

As the day has gone on, I think it is a decent appointment. I like managers who tell it as it is and I think he'll be like that. He has shown he can get teams to survive and also, guided one to promotion. He's got the experience that we used to cry out for and most importantly, isn't a full kit keaner like Owen Coyle.

Similar to yourself, as the day has gone on I've warmed more to the appointment.

This, it has to be said, is largely down to the fact I've spent the entire season so far hating the guy in the managers seat and quite frankly I'm fed up of despising the manager of my football club.

So, I'm going to back Tony for the next 15 games (or until he gives me a good reason not to anymore)

COYB! (and Tony)

• Like 2

Positives: 

He is an actual manager with experience at numerous clubs. 

He seems an honest bloke. 

He has worked for numpties before. 

He literally must be able to organize a defense more. 

Negatives: 

There's not too many successes really - WBA, Hibs (?) but the rest are a really mixed bag - Boro, Coventry and Celtic weren't by any means successes, and I'd struggle to say were indifferent spells. . 

His record at Coventry in particular - a situation very similar to ours - wasn't great which is worrying. 

He doesn't have his own team. 

Most of all he's head coach. That means Senior is calling the shots. I think Senior is both clueless and has conflicts of interest which mean whoever the manager is they're really going to be handicapped by the structure. 

Also there's a world of difference between being a good manager and a good bloke. It's only because we've had some real characters at Rovers that this has even become a criteria. Not sure Big Sam is a good bloke BUT he is a good manager. Had we not had two of the best liars in the business as managers who would really care how nice a chap he was? 

A lot of the positive feeling is Venkys could do worse. Rationally though, without this fear factor, for a Championship club fighting relegation, it is not a great appointment. With any half decent ownership/executive structure I'd imagine people would be a lot more disappointed- hence why he wasn't on any fans wanted list. Sure our situation is relevant but actually so is the fact we're a championship club and should be acting as one is also relevant. 

Overall not wild about the appointment - hope however he proves me wrong. 

• Like 2

This stands out from the above article:-

"That’s what I hope will happen at this club: the owners will see a young, exciting team who get beaten every now and then. The way I play we get beaten 3-0, 4-0 sometimes, because at 1-0 we gamble to get a goal back. Other times we’ll win 5-0 and the fans will go home thinking ‘wow’. Then they’ll go to the pub and say ‘what a team’ and the guys they go drinking with will come along to the next game" 

I hope he doesn't come out with this stuff here. It's almost Coyle-esque. It also doesn't give much hope he can sort out a defence. Apparently not his strong point.

Free agent, career at an all-time low, but once got promoted to the Prem many years ago. Ticks all the Venky boxes.

Be honest, who did everyone really expect? I'm just glad that Coyle's gone. 

He's in a difficult position, and I get the feeling that with the 18 month deal, they sense that relegation is more than likely, hence why he's got next season too. He's got my support though- I just hope he can sign some players.

As as I feel slightly optimistic, I can see myself buying a ticket when I get paid now. #COYB

Tony Mowbray's Blue and White Army! 

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

I don't care what Mowbray will be like 

I'm  so pleased we got rid of Coyle I feel like I've been smoking hillbilly crack all day long 

The next calamity is never far away with venkys but that's both Coyle and kean we've managed to see off. 

I just hope one day venkys run out of bad ideas to try and instead try the only good one they're capable of taking -  sell the club 

• Like 1

I'm utterly sick of "giving people a chance". We should be able to sign a manager who deserves more than just a 'chance' from his club's fans.

Mowbray would not have been in the lists of any other Championship club. There is no pride and little in being a Rovers fan any more. We just have to sit down, shut up and accept what we are given.

The same names have started already with the exact same rhetoric we've heard time after time after time. We have no choice unless we walk away but to see how he gets on but there is no excitement, no impetus, no feel-good. Just another underwhelming face on a pay day at the tail end of his contract. The shadow of Lambert, the last glimmer of real hope for a better future, will continue to fall over Ewood. If the fans aren't feeling it, how can we expect the 'new manager bounce' from the players? Are they going to be jumping up off the treatment table to get on board the revolution? No. They are going to go: "Mowbray? Meh. Ok then let's see what he has to say". We've got, what, 15 games left and need to hit the ground running and get some early momentum. Right now we are all stood looking at the starting blocks wondering if we brought the right trainers - both literally and figuratively.

No chairman

No board

No manager

No captain (worth the name)

No leaders anywhere that anyone can really trust and get behind

No returning fans - is this going to inspire anyone who turned up for the United game to come back and watch Mowbray's first game? Unlikely.

I don't want a good guy who'll do his best. We had that with Bowyer and to an extent with Coyle (albeit more annoyingly). I want a ruthless barsteward who won't pick people just because they are the longest serving or highest paid. Absolutely must pick a leader as captain and ditch Lowe as a utility sub. If he does that on Friday he'll start to earn my respect. Equally, Lowe as captain in the centre of midfield by the next home game and my mind will be all but made up: another stooge.

Two targets: first is three points on Friday and second is keeping us up.

After that, well, let's just hope there's an 'after that'.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bazza said:

On learning of the appointment I was not just underwhelmed but extremely disappointed.

But, thanks to the posters' links to Coventry and Boro fans' forums, reading the views of these fans has lifted my spirits no end.

So now I say welcome Tony Mowbray and good luck. You're going to need it. Let's see if you can save us.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

"Worst owners in the country". Clueless, unable to make a decision, no money for players, little to no interest. As many others have said though, just who were we / was I expecting?

All the best to him, he surely can't be any worse than the last one can he. It would take some doing.

• Like 3

He wouldn't have been my first choice. Although if I'm honest, of the realistic targets, I didn't really have a first choice - says it all.

Of the lot he's probably a half decent option. You're always going to struggle to find a manager who's not got a tainted record at some point with the probable candidates at our disposal. As an ex-defender, he should be able to set us up to stop shipping as many goals as we currently do.

He's going to need all the luck in the world to get us out of this predicament. Considering the views aired by a number of WBA, Coventry and Boro fans, he's well liked and did ok with what he had.

Good luck Tony.