BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

12 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

At each of the last five clubs he has managed, he has won more games than he has lost and has an overall win rate of 42%. He is well thought of by the supporters of those same clubs and comes across as a decent guy.

Bearing in mind our current status and how far we have fallen over the last six years or so, I think we may have been rather fortunate securing his services. Yes, there are one or two names that could be deemed to offer more than him but, would they have come here?

I wish him the best.

This. 

• Like 1

Just now, Paul said:

I haven't read all of this thread but this one and the Next Manager thread seemed keen on Nigel Adkins amongst others. 

Mowbray is seen as a disastrous appointment - without looking in to it deeply he was successful at Boro and Coventry before being sacked by both. He's been sacked twice in the past four years. 

Adkins had good success at Southampton before being sacked. He was sacked after failing at Reading and Sheffield Utd. Sacked three times in five years. 

Not much difference between the two except one was seen as a saviour and the other, now, as a disaster. Neither view based on logic.

I can't help feel most fans would have criticised any appointment, just as they do every other action the club takes. 

Not sure he was a 'success' at Coventry, left them bottom of the league. However, he seems well thought of by Cov fans, as they realise the basket case they are.

In fairness to posters, I think it was the initial shock of the leftfield appointment, as the day wore on people seemed to be warming to the idea.

He seems to start well at most clubs, and a 10 week burst is exactly what we need. Though what chance he'll have long term with these owners...

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Paul said:

I can't help feel most fans would have criticised any appointment, just as they do every other action the club takes. 

Go back and read the Paul Lambert appointed thread. When a good decision is made people are pleased. It's hardly the fault of the fans that practically every decision made in the last six years has been wrong. Any sensible person would become jaded and cynical after such a long period of poor management. 

• Like 8

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not sure he was a 'success' at Coventry, left them bottom of the league. However, he seems well thought of by Cov fans, as they realise the basket case they are.

In fairness to posters, I think it was the initial shock of the leftfield appointment, as the day wore on people seemed to be warming to the idea.

He seems to start well at most clubs, and a 10 week burst is exactly what we need. Though what chance he'll have long term with these owners...

Had another look and yes Coventry apart from initially avoiding relegation was not a success. 

My own feeling is I don't care who comes so long as we get the new manager bounce. I'll worry about next season in August. 

Just now, Paul said:

Had another look and yes Coventry apart from initially avoiding relegation was not a success. 

My own feeling is I don't care who comes so long as we get the new manager bounce. I'll worry about next season in August. 

He seems to have a knack of going in were ever and turning it around initially which is what we require at the moment 

Come the summer he'll have the off field issue of senior selling players bringing worse In a bit like cov and we all know where that ends up... 

For me he's seen it has he can keep us up.. It's a way back into football.. He'll put with whatever for a few months keep us up re enhance his reputation and look for something else 

Fail to keep us up... It wasn't His team had Lowe Dunn thrust on him,  senior venkys poison chalice.. 

No brainer really for him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Do you struggle reading? Or just have a bad memory?

How long before there were Kean Out or Coyle Out chants on a match day?

I can read fine thanks, patronising Annie.  It seems to me you'll blindly defend any nonsense statement you pipe up with though Stuart - what's so bad about possibly being wrong about something?

From my possible jaded memory, Kean and Coyle have never and weren't ever welcomed with open arms and certainly weren't ever backed by the fans. Not once can I remember (I can't speak for Coyle) "Steve Kean's Blue and White Army" etc.  Bring sung.  My recollection is both appointments led to uproar amongst large factions of our fan base. For me personally, and many others, I refused to go to Ewood under puppet number 2.

But if I am wrong, hey ho.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I can read fine thanks, patronising Annie.  It seems to me you'll blindly defend any nonsense statement you pipe up with though Stuart - what's so bad about possibly being wrong about something?

From my possible jaded memory, Kean and Coyle have never and weren't ever welcomed with open arms and certainly weren't ever backed by the fans. Not once can I remember (I can't speak for Coyle) "Steve Kean's Blue and White Army" etc.  Bring sung.  My recollection is both appointments led to uproar amongst large factions of our fan base. For me personally, and many others, I refused to go to Ewood under puppet number 2.

I can't blame those fans who saw where the appointments of Kean and Coyle were leading. It was obvious to those with eyes to see that both of those managers were well out of their depth when appointed.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Athlete said:

He seems to have a knack of going in were ever and turning it around initially which is what we require at the moment 

Come the summer he'll have the off field issue of senior selling players bringing worse In a bit like cov and we all know where that ends up... 

For me he's seen it has he can keep us up.. It's a way back into football.. He'll put with whatever for a few months keep us up re enhance his reputation and look for something else 

Fail to keep us up... It wasn't His team had Lowe Dunn thrust on him,  senior venkys poison chalice.. 

No brainer really for him 

Senior selling players? Aint many to sell now. Loans will go back. I would only look to keep 2 of the loan players as Gallagher wont be coming back here due to cost. I would look at signing Emnes permanent in the summer. And try to sign Hoban permanent aswell. 

Would only offer new contracts to Mahoney and Guthrie from the out of contract players this summer..would show the door to Lowe, Greer, Brown. 

But firstly lets stay up and then we can focus on the summer and the future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

As much as it sickens me to the stomach, those words about Kean were sung. I think it was when we fluked it against Liverpool shortly after his appointment.

I was surprised and a bit underwhelmed by this appointment, for me he was someone that is a familiar name but nobody was really aware of what he had actually done. After a bit of research coupled with the views of fans from his previous clubs I am a little more optimistic. It would appear as though this is a step up from Coyle, to be honest thought the only thing that matters is that he keeps us up, although I would really hope it turns into more than that.

If he does, then a positive summer transfer window is needed and I just can't see that happening under Venkys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

Protest haven't lost us games. Crap managers have.

It's an odd one though. Like a dare to the protesters. Go on then, I dare you to chant Venkys Out in a game. Because as soon as we lose we can blame them for relegation, and take the heat off the awful decision making.

Not too sure who Burton's owners are, but if all the Rovers fans sing that they want them out, for 90 minutes on Friday, that should do the trick and we win Likewise V Wigan, as I think it is Dave Whelan's Grandson who is the current Owner. Another 90 minutes of all our home crowd singing Whelan out and bingo. If only it was that simple!

• Backroom
Just now, Clitherover said:

As much as it sickens me to the stomach, those words about Kean were sung. I think it was when we fluked it against Liverpool shortly after his appointment.

Correct. Early on there were plenty of people who were supporting Kean - the same people who, no doubt, were booing when we were 3-0 up against Wolves. The thread where we beat Liverpool and the Steve Kean thread just after we stayed up during our first season with him in charge make embarrassing reading for certain posters.

Coyle was mostly greeted with negativity, quite rightly, although there were still a contingent who inexplicably thought he'd do well for us. IMV Mowbray isn't in the Kean or Coyle category, but to expect fans to be anything other than cynical over this appointment is barmy. I'm sure Mowbray will be given a chance at Ewood, but if there is skepticism online then that can hardly be considered surprising. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can't blame those fans who saw where the appointments of Kean and Coyle were leading. It was obvious to those with eyes to see that both of those managers were well out of their depth when appointmented.

I totally agree. Some people saw it coming before the takeover. I didn't.

Just now, Clitherover said:

The world is a strange place. There will be somebody, somewhere who fancies Anne Widdecombe.  To me, that is as stomach churning as singing those songs.

Just now, Pedro said:

I totally agree. Some people saw it coming before the takeover. I didn't.

Well I was immediately very apprehensive when I read about the Chokers total lack of football knowledge. Sacking an experienced manager and replacing him with a nonentity set my alarm bells ringing loud and long. The rest is history.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Senior selling players? Aint many to sell now. Loans will go back. I would only look to keep 2 of the loan players as Gallagher wont be coming back here due to cost. I would look at signing Emnes permanent in the summer. And try to sign Hoban permanent aswell. 

Would only offer new contracts to Mahoney and Guthrie from the out of contract players this summer..would show the door to Lowe, Greer, Brown. 

But firstly lets stay up and then we can focus on the summer and the future. 

You answered your own question.. Senior has control of who comes in and out not Mowbray hence if he keeps us up or not the problems will come 

Wish we were a normal club 

But let's hope we stay up worry about later in the summer 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian-Potter said:

If he does, then a positive summer transfer window is needed and I just can't see that happening under Venkys.

The only thing which will happen to is more cost cutting and senior getting his percentage 

Head coaches rarely work or last long in this country as you need a manager someone in full control including transfers 

Edited by Athlete
  • Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

The world is a strange place. There will be somebody, somewhere who fancies Anne Widdecombe.  To me, that is as stomach churning as singing those songs.

Mr Widdecombe probably, but I think he is in the minority. I bet he doesn't state that he gets 500 letters each day supporting him about it.

Edited by 1arC
Typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I think he's got a massive challenge to keep us up and wouldn't expect anyone to pull it off as such.

The squad is as unfit as I've ever seen them, even if we get a new manager bounce we'll come unstuck due to that.

Hope he gets a decent crack at next season but hope more for a miracle this one. In reality on paper he's no worse than Adkins and not all that much different to Lambert.

Yet we've never really been battered in a game since about August.  Our defeats have been the result of shocking defending and poor individual mistakes (at the risk of sounding like Coyle).  We rarely get absolutely outplayed and in recent weeks have stood toe to toe with sides like Leeds and Sheff Wed and should have taken at least a point in both.

Mowbray's job for the next 15 games is to win clean sheets.   That's the base of any side in a relegation battle - Look at someone like Allardyce or Pulis - their first job is to win clean sheets and then take your opportunities as they come at the other end.   We've got players who are capable of scoring goals so that's a great start that many, many relegation threatened sides don't have.

I feel like a lot hinges on tomorrow - defeat and all of a sudden Burton are 9 points ahead of us and that almost feels like another that we've let free from the pack.   A win means it's absolutely all to play for with Wigan just around the corner.

I can't imagine anyone on this message board sat at home on Tuesday night and singled out Mowbray as their first choice, but the more it sinks in and the more the initial shock wears off, the slightly more confident I become that he can just scramble enough points to keep us up this season.   It's all we as fans can focus on for now - next season will have it's own obstacles; let's just hope it's in the bloody Championship!

• Like 7

Just now, Athlete said:

You answered your own question.. Senior has control of who comes in and out not Mowbray hence if he keeps us up or not the problems will come 

Wish we were a normal club 

But let's hope we stay up worry about later in the summer 

Senior is director of football and in the end got rid of Coyle..like I said he would from the minute it was announced that Senior was DoF. Said we would appoint head coach not a manager. And we have.

For this structure to work both Director of Football and Head coach have to work together to bring in the players we need and in the style of play we will under the Head Coach. From listening to Mowbray's interview last night he wants us to play attacking passing football and be organised and good positional with and without the ball. So Senior and Mowbray must work to bring in players to fit this style of play. Will be easier to bring this in during pre season and that when I expect we see a proper change of style. At least he wants to give the team a identity and style cos under Coyle it was just go out there and play. No more in most games. 

But for the next 15 games its about wins and nothing more

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, 1arC said:

Mr Widdecombe probably, but I think he is in the minority. I bet he doesn't state that he gets 500 letters each day supporting him about it.

He needs to take a trip to "the village"  (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It does seem odd that he's made such incredibly perceptive comments and basically hit the nail squarely on the head when presumably he can hardly have seen us play.

I presume he knew he was getting the job before the Man Ure game. You wonder if his comments are based solely on what he saw during that 90 minutes or on the basis of some input from Lowe and Dunn because based solely on that game I'd be sat there rubbing my hands thinking everything was hunky dory.

I hope as soon as he was offered the job he got down to watching most of our games on the clubs dvd.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

8th last season was certainly a success.